+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Dosen't installing MS Office make you wanna smile .... in General; Firstly - I have a hate of Office 07 - its 03 all the way... Had this twice today funnily ...

Thank Post

Dosen't installing MS Office make you wanna smile ....

Firstly - I have a hate of Office 07 - its 03 all the way...

Had this twice today funnily enough...

First time round, i have been havin complaints that a member of staff thought that Word wasn't workin proper, and so I said that i would install it. I went across to the comp - and started to install office. It comes to the point where it asks you what you want to do - and so I click "repair" and only tick Word.

With me so far? pretty standard precedure. After it finished installing, I have the joy of finding out that it has deleted every other office app, and only word exists now... With a bit of a sick feeling in my stomach (as it is SMT) I reinstalled the whole thing, hoping that the .pst files were still in place in the Default user folde rin Docs and settings. IT was.. phew... no emaisl lost.

The second time, it jsut happened. I got a new PC ot of the box, and see that 2007 has come preinstalled. Great. (not thinking back that I had to put the school licence in, doh) So I install 2003, cause people are pretty split here atm - and they all want both versions on. SO I install 2003, and then go to set up the emails in 2007... nah... dont work.... its a demo only version...

So i uninstall 2007, then re-install 2007.... and guess what? it decided to uninstall 2003 for me..... crackin..

SO i've jsut had to re-install 2003 once again... all in all... a great use of productive time lol..

Thank Post
    Repair option, tbh I try not to use repair options they tend not to work....

Also you must of missed an option when installing 07, as I've installed 03 and then 07 without it playing with 03 (although I don't install outlook 03 as 07 doesn't like that)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    Repair option, tbh I try not to use repair options they tend not to work....

Also you must of missed an option when installing 07, as I've installed 03 and then 07 without it playing with 03 (although I don't install outlook 03 as 07 doesn't like that)
    yea no i leave off outlook - cause it tends to make it die... lookin at it again, think there is an upgrade option, which is probally what causes 2003 to be deleted - nice to let them know thats what would happen lol

silly me.. dont like 2007 any ways - dont knwo why ppl do

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think this might be a case of RTFM :-)

If I run setup for Office 2007, it gives me 3 choices "add or remove features" "repair" "remove" - I reckon option 1 is the best choice ...

Worth remembering also, that Office 2007 caches everything to the local drive - that means you can just go to control panel, find Office 2007 and pick the "change" option; again, it's pretty difficult to get it wrong there.

I don't have Office 2003 installed at the moment to check but I'm sure that when I first setup 2007, you get to choose which bits to keep/remove (with the proviso that you can't have 2 versions of Outlook and the default is to remove the earlier version)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    I think this might be a case of RTFM :-)

If I run setup for Office 2007, it gives me 3 choices "add or remove features" "repair" "remove" - I reckon option 1 is the best choice ...

Worth remembering also, that Office 2007 caches everything to the local drive - that means you can just go to control panel, find Office 2007 and pick the "change" option; again, it's pretty difficult to get it wrong there.

I don't have Office 2003 installed at the moment to check but I'm sure that when I first setup 2007, you get to choose which bits to keep/remove (with the proviso that you can't have 2 versions of Outlook and the default is to remove the earlier version)

aye you do - Ive done it a million and 1 times before without a hitch, its just that on this new comp, with a trial verison of 2007 on it, it didnt like it..

did the same proceedure on another p.c otehr day, no probs

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    2003 then 2007 works ok - recommended (ie not a chance in hell of it working if you don't) MS procedure is to work up through versions if you need multiple ones on, so 2000, then XP, then 2003, then 2007 etc. Where it definitely does fall down is when you have to take one of them off! Nearly formatted a machine last week as someone activating a demo of 2007 I'd forgotten to uninstall screwed up 2003 so badly that even after several reinstalls all file associations were unfixably broken...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread