+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Car Advice Needed! in General; Hi Guys, Three Questions; 1. At the moment I have an 05 Peugeot 206 SW 1.4 HDI with 53,000 miles ...
    Thank Post

Car Advice Needed!

Hi Guys,

Three Questions;

1. At the moment I have an 05 Peugeot 206 SW 1.4 HDI with 53,000 miles and I have been offered a straight swap with a Vauxhall Astra 1.6 petrol. The 206 has 35 a year road tax. They both have full service history and have been fully maintained throughout with no work to do on either of them (well as far as I can see on the astra). The astra has done 75,000 miles. They both have alloys! The astra is up at 3,995. Would you do the swap?

2. I last asked on edugeek about the cambelt change period on the above 206. Everyone replied with 50,000-60,000 miles but one mechanic said 80,000 and one mechanic said 150,000 miles. Who do I believe? can someone please put my mind to rest? The Citroen C2 1.4 HDI has the same engine as the 206 and I am confident (99.9% sure) that the interval is 150,000 miles; can I go off this?

3. Has anybody experienced the free insurance offer with Vauxhall Corsas? What do you think of it and would you (if you were me) keep the 206 and wait until next year to get the new style reg corsa on finance. I own the 206 out right. I will have around 5,000 to put down as a deposit and I am expecting my insurance to be 1,100 approx next year on my 206 as I am 18.

I know they aren't computer questions but I am not abusing the system as I am always asking computer questions :-)

Thanks

Thank Post
    I bet someone on here can recommend a decent Renault Megane Scenic that is sure to soon be for sale

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oalcock View Post
    Hi Guys,

Three Questions;

1. At the moment I have an 05 Peugeot 206 SW 1.4 HDI with 53,000 miles and I have been offered a straight swap with a Vauxhall Astra 1.6 petrol. The 206 has 35 a year road tax. They both have full service history and have been fully maintained throughout with no work to do on either of them (well as far as I can see on the astra). The astra has done 75,000 miles. They both have alloys! The astra is up at 3,995. Would you do the swap?

2. I last asked on edugeek about the cambelt change period on the above 206. Everyone replied with 50,000-60,000 miles but one mechanic said 80,000 and one mechanic said 150,000 miles. Who do I believe? can someone please put my mind to rest? The Citroen C2 1.4 HDI has the same engine as the 206 and I am confident (99.9% sure) that the interval is 150,000 miles; can I go off this?

3. Has anybody experienced the free insurance offer with Vauxhall Corsas? What do you think of it and would you (if you were me) keep the 206 and wait until next year to get the new style reg corsa on finance. I own the 206 out right. I will have around 5,000 to put down as a deposit and I am expecting my insurance to be 1,100 approx next year on my 206 as I am 18.

I know they aren't computer questions but I am not abusing the system as I am always asking computer questions :-)

Thanks
    You wont qualify for the free insurance. you have to be 21 or 25 (its one of them but i cant remember which) I looked at doing this when i got a car.

Thank Post
    1) No... 53k mile car for 75k mile car.

2) You should go by the official Peugeot service manual, if it doesnt say then a Peugeot official dealdership will be able to tell you exactly.

3) Not with corsas, but I got free insurance on my old clio..... the only new car I ever got and I'd never get a new car again. price drops (more than your current hefty insurance) as soon as you move it off the dealership. Personally, especially as you own the car, i'd run the pug till its done 150k.

rad
    Thank Post
    1) stay with what you got, its worth it, as you probably know more about it (you dont mention age) tax is cheap
    2) read you service manual or call pug!
    3) your too young.

TBH is you own something outright, no point getting anything on finance as you are young too. You buy on forecourt, you'll loose money, and you'll regret it too.

Thank Post
    Unless you know of any problems with the 206 that would make you want to get rid of it, stick with it would be my advice, better the devil you know...... unless you know the Astra history in intimate detail. Do you know for example if it has had any accident damage?

I am guessing, but I would have thought the insurance on the 206 could be cheaper and you should get better fuel economy too.

I don't want to sound patronising, but at your age you need to keep a low profile as far as insurance companies are concerned and avoid anything that implies speed & image until you are at least 25

As far as buying new, my advice would be to look for ex-demo or pre-reg cars with delivery mileage to avoid the major new car financial hit you will otherwise suffer when you drive away from the dealer.

I would also avoid finance at the moment, although the base rate is bumping along at 0.5% the finance rates from banks & finance companies is just plain silly...... and if you don't have a good credit history their rates become even more silly!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just stay away from the petrol, much less hassle

8. Thanks to webman from:

bossman (21st October 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    You wont qualify for the free insurance. you have to be 21 or 25 (its one of them but i cant remember which) I looked at doing this when i got a car.
    Just like to point out i am wrong its 19

Thank Post
    Why would you want to swap? First off I assume its from a garage, so they have to be getting something out of the deal, ie your car with less miles on potentially worth more than the Astra (?). How are you benefiting from the deal?

With 35 road tax too, no, theres no way I would do the swap!

Thank Post
    The Peugeot is an 05 reg 2005 and the astra is a 54 reg 2005. I took the Astra out for a drive last night and I liked it, but everything about the car was more expensive so I have decided not to bother with the car tbh and stick with my peugeot.

I am not going to get the corsa on finance. My insurance isn't due until april so I shall hold my horses and wait till the time comes where insurance is concerned.

I didn't get a "for sure" answer off anyone though about when to change the cambelt? the 53,000 miles it has on it is purely just driving to wales and back every weekend on business. Can I work off the fact that the 1.4 HDI Citroen C4 Cam belt can be changed at 150,000 miles?

Thanks

12. Thanks to oalcock from:

bossman (21st October 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread