+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Google Vs Microsoft debate, check this in General; Originally Posted by CyberNerd Interesting. Google docs has already overtaken MS Office in certain depts in our school. There are ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Interesting. Google docs has already overtaken MS Office in certain depts in our school. There are so many advantages for online collaboration, it is just a matter of time. We already have:

10,581 Google Documents, 2,838 Google Spreadsheets, 442 Google Drawings, 367 Google Forms, 4,111 Google Presentations and 3,222 uploaded files
    Horses for courses. One school's usage isnt indicative of what schools everywhere are doing. I'm not discounting cloud computing, or even open source alternatives, i'm saying that MS office isn't going anywhere yet.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee_K_81 View Post
    Horses for courses. One school's usage isnt indicative of what schools everywhere are doing. I'm not discounting cloud computing, or even open source alternatives, i'm saying that MS office isn't going anywhere yet.
    I wasn't saying MSOffice were about to go bust - just that in the 17months that the thread was posted (along with people saying it won't take off for years) it has really caught on well here and for KS3 MSOffice is hardly used for teaching any more - saves us a lot of money as well as improves student/student student/teacher collaboration.

Thank Post
    We are going to purchase the microsoft annual package which allows us to run what we got and upgrade. It will cost us 9k a year, to be honest I like free but usually there is a huge difference.

So we will be sticking to microsoft for 5 years at least if the world doesnt suddenly change. To be honest though if the rivals started to take a huge share out of MS surely they will either have to drop their prices big time or make their products free in some way. At the moment for us MS is the way to go, its the language of the world and gives our students best prep for leaving here.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Going Google - or putting it another way:

'Single Point Of Failure'

No internet connection ? No work.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 972 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post

They should make use of there chrome OS so you can setup a chrome OS server on site and it stores the docs to the users home area and if the net goes down it can still use the chrome os server on site whilst the net is down ??

Even if its in a virtual machine on a high speced server

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd guess that Office 365 is in part a response my Microsoft to Google Docs.

Given Microsoft's app-v product I'd guess the next move will be for them to combine this somehow - you've then got the flexibility of the full MS Office product but delivered in a way that can be used offline.

It's obviously not here yet but I've no doubt that something like it will come (and please don't drag my words up in 2 years time to prove how rubbish I am at predictions :-))

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    They should make use of there chrome OS so you can setup a chrome OS server on site and it stores the docs to the users home area and if the net goes down it can still use the chrome os server on site whilst the net is down ??

Even if its in a virtual machine on a high speced server
    This is how things should go, but lets face it, costs a lot more money. We here have had a internet outtage rarely over the last 18 months (Touch wood). Once solved at 9pm sharp (weirdly enough the second EIS start working) another time up and running by about 9:45 I believe. The times before that it was our networking in a main hub area. Our service provider are brilliant when it comes to to getting their end sorted out and they do have a backup link we can use.

It still is a niggling thing if you do lose the net, we have just got Frog and that will be a in house server and although some will say cloud computing is the future, some said the same thing about Mini Discs/HD DVDs, hell even Flat screen TVs and DVDs have been around for a very long time well before they got off the ground. Not saying cloud computing isnt the future but I am not saying it "is", the whole wikileaks thing put water on that fire.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post

No active directory, no work. No core switch, no work. No file server, no work.
    You can mitigate against all these things - including an internet connection failure.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    No active directory, no work. No core switch, no work. No file server, no work.
    You can mitigate against all these things - including an internet connection failure.
    Without seeming like I want to argue
    We can replace our core switch within 5 minutes, we have everything on seperate servers so if something goes down you only lose a single system. "Cloud" systems means everything is your internet connection (or most things) and that is where some people will always be touchy over it.

Plus wouldnt most of our jobs be out the window and resort back to being a basic technician if all our servers were managed by a CORP? Similar to BSF we would all help the transfer but surely become redundant one day?
    Last edited by mthomas08; 9th March 2011 at 09:06 AM. Reason: the plus part

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    Without seeming like I want to argue
    We can replace our core switch within 5 minutes, we have everything on seperate servers so if something goes down you only lose a single system. "Cloud" systems means everything is your internet connection (or most things) and that is where some people will always be touchy over it.
    Our core cost over 12k (with the fibre modules) Our Blade and SAN maintenance contract (next day fix) is 4750p/a. A backup internet connection is a ballpark similar cost - it can be mitigated against failure, this is how cloud companies such as google, amazon etc keep their services running. I wasn't suggesting that there is zero cost to any of this. If want to run a 24-7-365 SIMS server with redundancy so that there is absolutely no downtime you can do it. Same with using a hosted email/docs service.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    Plus wouldnt most of our jobs be out the window and resort back to being a basic technician if all our servers were managed by a CORP? Similar to BSF we would all help the transfer but surely become redundant one day?
    And that, surely, is why schools keen to save money will go the way of the cloud. You can buy an awful lot of internet connection with good backup for the price of a decent IT member of staff.

I'm not suggesting that it's the best way to go but it's certainly a good bean-counting way of looking at things!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    And that, surely, is why schools keen to save money will go the way of the cloud. You can buy an awful lot of internet connection with good backup for the price of a decent IT member of staff.

I'm not suggesting that it's the best way to go but it's certainly a good bean-counting way of looking at things!
    You should know by now, that school's don't employ technicians for the technical abilities.

We are employed for our ability to make things work when others are too stupid/lazy/busy to do it themselves.

13. Thanks to Rydra from:

mattx (9th March 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12