+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Bye Bye Windows 7 in General; Just about to remove this OS from one of my PCs. It does not see my HP LaserJet 1022 or ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts

Bye Bye Windows 7

Just about to remove this OS from one of my PCs.
    It does not see my HP LaserJet 1022 or my Canon Lide 50, or my basic Intel GX Chipset. These devices are only 3 to 4 years old so it can go as far as I am concerned.
    The OS grinds to a halt after a few hours use anyway, even with 2 gig of Ram in the PC. Yet another MS pile of poo.
    I'll go with a flavour of nix I think.

Post edited by Dos_Box due to innapropriate language!
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 18th October 2009 at 09:03 PM.

2. 2 Thanks to mattx:

Gibbo (19th October 2009), SimpleSi (19th October 2009)

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 744 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've had this with two Tosh laptops at home - both diff spec and only a couple of years old. Fine to begin with, they gradually run slower and slower. Booting takes an age. All they've got on them is Windows 7 - I've installed diddly-squat else on them.

4. Thanks to tech_guy from:

SimpleSi (19th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,613 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Now that I've been using Win 7 on my home PC's for a month, I can say it is very random! On my older, cheaper, slower machine, with less RAM and generally older parts, Win 7 flies along. Startup is speedy and issues are non-existent.

On my 1 1/2 year old MacBook Pro though, startup takes ages, and stability is a little less good. The CPU is orders of magnitude faster, it has more memory and is all round a better computer (except the graphics card).

Still, I prefer it to XP I have to say.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,276 Times in 1,051 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've nothing but praise for it. From 1.6 Atoms with 4GB RAM to my i7 950 beast and a couple of Core 2 laptops, and so far I'm very, very impressed!

7. 2 Thanks to Dos_Box:

CPLTD (18th October 2009), Trapper (19th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    It does make me laugh when you have gigs and gigs of ram just to run an OS.......
    Bleeding daft.

9. Thanks to mattx from:

SimpleSi (19th October 2009)

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 744 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm running Vista Ultimate on my Samsung NC10 and it's sweet.

Thank Post
    I've been running the RC pretty much since it was released on my NC10 (1Gb RAM at first)and it's fine I haven't noticed any slowdown. Startup is slightly slower than XP but I usually have it in sleep mode so it turns on in about 3 seconds. I also have it on my work desktop which is an Intel Mobo and has 1Gb RAM also with out issue.

I'm sure there is hardware out there that it will have problems with, this will always be an issue when supporting such a diverse range of hardware not to mention quite often it's not Windows that's at fault it's naff drivers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,589 Times in 1,266 Posts
    It does raise a few questions as to why some users experience randomness. Drivers can make a big difference, but put it this way, I won't be putting it into network production for at least another year, irrelevant how perfect Microsoft think it is.
    It's about this time frame with any new big OS release that software updates and drivers are made available for 'official' compatibility.

t_h
    Thank Post
    Been running the RC for months with 2GB RAM and hasn't skipped a beat.

Thank Post
    I'm running x64 RTM on a Core2Duo 2.0Ghz with 2Gb RAM laptop - and apart from hating Win7 at first, it runs like a dream and I am more impressed every day!

Thank Post
    My brothers just finished installing win 7 on an HP with 8GB ram. Win 7 64bit edition ultimate. It also the p8700? core 2 duo processor @ 2.53 i think it was. He did a comparison of this boot up to login against his first gen macbook pro running 10.6. The win 7 went through the bios post and got to the logo appearing before the macbook's apple logo appeared.

But he managed to log onto the macbook pro before the login prompt appeared on the win 7 .

I know this doesn't mean much but one thing that struck me as being slightly poor is the fact that the snow leopard was an upgrade install from 10.5, and all his settings, apps and crap was still there. Yes, you could argue that it had perhaps cached most of the info, but the amount of times the win 7 laptop had restarted, that should have cached some stuff too.

Poor comparison, i dunno but in sheer performance the HP win 7 laptop should have beaten it hands down.

Thank Post
    Running the RC on an old Dell Latitude D600 (Pentium M 1.3GHz with 512MB RAM). I only really use this machine for Internet and Chrome is my browser of choice, but I frequently have many instances open. It's also running MS Security Essentials and I've got Open Office 3 as well. Sure it's no speed demon, but I don't recall a single crash and it's only become unresponsive when seriously overloaded.

Love it.

edit: I should point out that I obviously don't get any fancy Aero features but never having used Vista I'm not missing anything.
    Last edited by ajbritton; 18th October 2009 at 10:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Running the RC from Day 1 on my Lenovo R61 and it runs beautifully.

I reckon some people just like nix too much and are willing the thing to fail.

Thank Post
    It does raise a few questions as to why some users experience randomness. Drivers can make a big difference, but put it this way, I won't be putting it into network production for at least another year, irrelevant how perfect Microsoft think it is.
    It's about this time frame with any new big OS release that software updates and drivers are made available for 'official' compatibility.

I agree I won't be putting it into production yet but as it's largely a refined Vista I don't think too many surprises will emerge, most software is written with UAC in mind now and as NT compatible apps should always of been which solves most problems. I do think that 7 will go on to be one of the best versions of Windows since NT4 Workstation (well with SP 6a anyway).
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 19th October 2009 at 12:10 AM.

Thank Post
    If you have intel graphics, download the drivers off the intel website rather than the ones through windows update, fixes all sorts of problems, especially on older machines.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast