+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Bye Bye Windows 7 in General; If you have intel graphics, download the drivers off the intel website rather than the ones through windows update, fixes ...
    Thank Post
    If you have intel graphics, download the drivers off the intel website rather than the ones through windows update, fixes all sorts of problems, especially on older machines.
    Yeh they're probably newer releases than the ones on windows update but the win update ones should be logo tested so they should be good.

Thank Post
    Have to say that I worry about XP mode though. How many software houses will use this as an excuse not to update their software to work properley on Vista/7?

I get the impression that Microsoft engineers consider XP mode as a last ditch method to run legacy apps (with the app compat toolkit to be used first), but I think that the money savings from not having to spend time testing/redeveloping applications to work properly will be just too tempting. Arguably, most end users won't care how it works, as long as it does. End result is that you have two OS's per PC to support.

Security in 7 might be better that XP but if you than have to run XP to support some apps as well, then how good is the insulation between the VM and the host and hardware? What new vulnerabilities can we expect. Until now, I doubt if much malware is seeking to exploit any VM weaknesses but if usage becomes more widespread then you can bet that will change.

It really bugs me that software developers should have 'known' how to do it right for the best part of a decade and yet they still do stupid things like writing to HKLM or %ProgramFiles%.

3. Thanks to ajbritton from:

PiqueABoo (19th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Ive been using Win7 on my home machine (4GB Ram, Athlon x2 6000 black, ATI 4850 1GB) and its been very good, it hasnt had any problems with anything ive asked it to do and it plays all my games no problems (even the old DOS ones i brought off steam)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Just about to remove this OS from one of my PCs.
    It does not see my HP LaserJet 1022 or my Canon Lide 50, or my basic Intel GX Chipset. These devices are only 3 to 4 years old so it can go as far as I am concerned.
    The OS grinds to a halt after a few hours use anyway, even with 2 gig of Ram in the PC. Yet another MS pile of poo.
    I'll go with a flavour of nix I think.

Post edited by Dos_Box due to innapropriate language!
    Not to start a flame war ( just a simple comment - tongue in cheek style ) but been using my 2008 Mac Pro and have snow leopard on it all updated and I have not lost any data nor have I had issues with it - haven't tried re adding my printer though which is out of ink for the time being so pointless in adding it just yet ( so time will tell how that goes )

I had a little play with windows 7 and it was ok but I wasn't overly impressed with it

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    It does make me laugh when you have gigs and gigs of ram just to run an OS.......
    Bleeding daft.
    Yes, because "640K ought to be enough for anybody."

4GB may sound like a lot of memory, if you've been in the industry for a while, but considering memory is so cheap I don't see the issue.

rad
    Thank Post
    I ran the beta and didn;t have a problem, that was about to expire so I downloaded the RC, had nothing but issues so back to Vista at the moment. Then again, Firefox is crashing at the moment so back to the restore disks again.....

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Yes, because "640K ought to be enough for anybody."

4GB may sound like a lot of memory, if you've been in the industry for a while, but considering memory is so cheap I don't see the issue.
    Me neither. I don't run 4GB of RAM just for the OS either; I run 4GB of RAM for the video editing apps I use!

Thank Post
    I ran the beta and didn;t have a problem, that was about to expire so I downloaded the RC, had nothing but issues so back to Vista at the moment. Then again, Firefox is crashing at the moment so back to the restore disks again.....
    What issues are you having?

TBH you have to expect some issues when using software that hasn't even been released yet, once 7 is available most software houses will release a 'tested' version for 7.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Yeh they're probably newer releases than the ones on windows update but the win update ones should be logo tested so they should be good.
    That's the problem, they're not any good. Constant graphics glitches, slowdowns and crashes. It depends on which Intel chipset you have, but on testing we've found quite a few affected.

Thank Post
    Originally Posted by mattx
    It does make me laugh when you have gigs and gigs of ram just to run an OS.......
    Bleeding daft.
    Windows 7 will run ok on 512Mb and perfectly fine on 1Gb the users reporting issues on dual core systems with 4Gb of RAM are suffering from other issues, Windows 7 does not need 4Gb of RAM just to run.

Thank Post
    That's the problem, they're not any good. Constant graphics glitches, slowdowns and crashes. It depends on which Intel chipset you have, but on testing we've found quite a few affected.
    I can only comment on the D945GCCR and D945GCNL mobos and a Samsung NC10 netbook.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Agreed!

The first time I personally bought RAM was in about 1981; it was 8k (yes, kilobytes!) for a Nascom 2. Can't remember exactly how much it cost but I had to save up to buy it; it was serious money!

Just bought 4Gb of RAM for my own laptop (mainly because I want to be able to run multiple VMs on it) and it was cheaper than that 8k!

Thank Post
    I've been using Windows 7 for about 2 weeks now with no issues at all, yeah it idles around 800MB ram, but its got to be expected as things advance...

Hate to break it to people but, we aint going to be able to run things on 256/512/1GB ram much longer!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Surely there can't be any issues with Windows 7 at all? I mean, North Leamington School rolled it out within 2 weeks...

Microsoft UK Schools News Blog : Windows 7 in North Leamington School in Warwickshire

16. Thanks to webman from:

localzuk (19th October 2009)

Thank Post
    I've been using Windows 7 for about 2 weeks now with no issues at all, yeah it idles around 800MB ram, but its got to be expected as things advance...

But it doesn't use 800Mb on a 512 Mb system Windows is programed to use available RAM to cache system files to memory so the system operates faster, if other software requires the RAM Windows allocates the RAM to that. Because of this it can look like Windows is more memory hungry that it actually is (though it is a bit of a beast).

Hate to break it to people but, we aint going to be able to run things on 256/512/1GB ram much longer!!
    Only our very latest systems have 2Gb RAM most of our other kit is 1Gb or 512, I guess we'll be running XP for some time yet.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 19th October 2009 at 09:54 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast