+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Photos in General; Not sure where to post this - School wants to take photos of all staff to put in Sims. Can ...
    Thank Post

Photos

Not sure where to post this - School wants to take photos of all staff to put in Sims. Can members of staff decline? Is it almost compulsory or can staff say they do not give permission for photos to be stored in this way? Guidance please.

Thank Post
    A few years back I was tasked with the job of taking staff photo's for a new security/key card system. A few members of staff tried to decline but with a bit pressing from the HT I finally managed to get them.

I'm not sure what the rule/law is, but I know everyone at County Hall has to have a photo ID card for security reasons - why should it be any different in a school?

Thank Post
    This isn't for a security card though, the staff get the impression that it's just because it can be done i.e. stored in Sims like the pupil photos

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have all our photos stored in Sims (I think). I don't see the problem, all staff have been CRB'd and all of their details are stored in the school anyway. (Personal info, bank details etc..) May I ask what reason a teacher would have to decline since students have their photo in Sims as well.

Thank Post
    What are their concerns about it? I could understand if we were talking about photos on web sites or other public places, but this is for internal viewing only. Is it a case of "quick panic, ID cards are coming, the Government is watching us, databases are going to kill and eat my children and/or family dog and the sky is falling" or is there a genuine grievance?

Our teachers have photos in SIMS, plus we take photos at the start of each year as they can be quite useful to have.

Peripatetic staff and cleaners have ID badges with name and photo on them, so that we know they're legit (we don't all wear them since the staff is small enough that everyone knows everyone, other than these groups of people who are not in as much). We didn't get any complaints, but we did explain why we were doing it - that might be the difference.

6. Thanks to enjay from:

mossj (15th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    This isn't for a security card though, the staff get the impression that it's just because it can be done i.e. stored in Sims like the pupil photos
    It could be worded for "security reasons".

Thank Post
    Grievance is perhaps too strong a word - some staff are complaining as they don't like having their photo' taken at all for any reason. (and before people ask no they do not have a passport - odd I know but there it is)

The "to put in Sims" reason is all they have been told, some pupils do not have their photo in Sims, as they were absent the day the photographer came or the parents have refused to allow it.

PEO
    Thank Post
    the repair bills here for monitor screens would go through the roof!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    some staff are complaining as they don't like having their photo' taken at all for any reason.
    Oh well since it is such a strong and valid reason as vanity, I definitely think you should bow to their wishes... Sarcasm aside, perhaps you could offer that you will upload a photo of their choosing (within reason of course!) so they are definitely happy with the image being used.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I know this probably wouldn't be a popular opinion but tell the teachers to suck it up and just have their photo taken? *Hides from the wrath of teachers*

12. Thanks to Fatmas from:

Pyroman (15th October 2009)

Thank Post
    With the new safeguarding arrangements from OFSTED. I have a feeling photographic ID cards in schools for staff will be the norm in the next year or so.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    With the new safeguarding arrangements from OFSTED. I have a feeling photographic ID cards in schools for staff will be the norm in the next year or so.
    Must admit I got a feeling that this maybe true, we had a mjor push on ours this year, think we are down to 5 not on the system now, with a couple saying until its in my contract that you must take and store my photo i refuse. Wonder do these teachers never look on the internet at Youtube and google there names and stuff! There are more photos of some staff on youtube and the internet than we have on the system!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    with a couple saying until its in my contract that you must take and store my photo i refuse
    One possible response to that is to say that their contract doesn't state that the school will provide kettles in the Staff Room so these will been removed until the school is contractually obliged to do it.

Besides which, the contract probably does have statements regarding the school's responsibilities towards the safety of the children, and part of that is ensuring that all people on the premises have a right to be there - ID cards are one method of doing this.

Thank Post
    No idea what the law is. But if itís just for Sims with no good reason common sense should say they have the right to refuse. Some people do not like photos so unless there is a good reason and needed reason to take their photo they should have the right to refuse.

This photo ID thing seems like a waste of time and money. I can understand it in a large school but we have just been told all staff need a photo ID which seems rather pointless in a small school where everyone knows everyone.

17. Thanks to Pottsey from:

leco (16th October 2009)

Thank Post
    No staff photos in SIMS here, and again I dont imagine it would be too popular, especially as there's no real reason for it. If it was for ID cards then fair enough. I wouldnt be rushing to get my photo taken for it myself

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast