+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Moblie phones in School in General; I was having a wander on the net when I came across this news item and wondered what you guys ...

Thank Post

Cool Moblie phones in School

I was having a wander on the net when I came across this news item and wondered what you guys allow in school with regards to moblie phones and if you think this would be a good idea over here?

News - French want to ban mobile phones in schools - The Ecologist

Thank Post
    Unless they're being used in lesson as an education resource their use is generally banned from being used in school here.

Not sure students being banned from being allowed to carry them into school, peole use mobiles to arrange their lives these days. A parent might want to be able to ring their child to arrange where they're meeting them (after school ) or to tell them they will be late. In the past people would just of delt with someone being late but these days people don't plan for these problems as you can just text or ring.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 14th October 2009 at 09:10 PM.

Thank Post
    This discussion started here today too Mobiles in classroom

As I said on there, we allow mobile phones to be brought in to school provided that the rules surrounding their use are adhered to.

Thank Post
    They are entirely banned up to Y11 here, any kids who need to bring them in are asked to leave them at reception.

Needless to say this worked alright a few years ago but is totally unworkable now. We are all supposed to give kids a detention if we see them with one, but the room would be overflowing if it was enforced. Usually, I'm not bothered unless they're pratting about with it in some way, and just warn them that they could be put in a detention if they were seen by a member of staff.

One of the tech teachers decided he needed them to bring phones in as part of his project... without telling/asking anyone else... which caused a few raised eyebrows!

Thank Post
    Students are not supposed to bring mobile phones to school. If they are in school they are supposed to be switched off. If we see one out during school hours it is confiscated and they get it back at the end of Friday. If they try and remove the Sim card before handing it over this information is passed onto their head of year and they usually get an after school for refusal of authority.

Thank Post
    As cookie_monster points out, banning phones altogether could cause issues - students travelling by train (as some do here) or attending sports fixtures or theatre visits out of school hours frequently need to contact their parents. When in school, however, phones are to be kept in bags and will be confiscated if seen (given back once parents sign a letter).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread