+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Identifying Children in General; What does everyone do re allowing children's names or photos to be shown in newsletters, on websites etc? We currently ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,623 Posts

Identifying Children

What does everyone do re allowing children's names or photos to be shown in newsletters, on websites etc?
    We currently have an agreement not to use children's surnames on the website and not to identify children in pictures, but we have just realised that I upload the newsletter every month and there are whole pages of achievers named, as well as pics of sports teams with the names alongside (but not tied to the pics in any way)
    We are at a bit of a loss to know quite how to phrase a letter giving parental choice without limiting our ability to do our normal website, newsletter and publicity stuff.
    thanks

2. 2 Thanks to witch:

laserblazer (6th October 2009), sparkeh (6th October 2009)

Thank Post
    My main school has a "no full names" type policy but also the parents are sent a letter informing them that they have to specifically request that their child is not shown in school photos/on the website etc.

When the onus of choosing was on the parent, most of them couldn't be bothered to answer the letter.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts
    @witch:

Just the usual here, parental consent form blah blah as listed in our Wholeschool ICT security policy.

rad
    Thank Post
    parents have to sign a consent form. We have to go through it bfore uploading pics for use in newletters, websites even display boards in school

Thank Post
    We have tear off and return section on the contact form for no publicity etc, however, I've found that when we had a decent, relevant group photo for the website, half the children were on the no publicity list, so the photo couldn't be used! So now I only use photos that show backs of children's heads, children in the distance and 'artistic' style shots of children's hands doing whatever. It's so much easier than faffing around checking who can and who can't be on the website

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,623 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    We have tear off and return section on the contact form for no publicity etc, however, I've found that when we had a decent, relevant group photo for the website, half the children were on the no publicity list, so the photo couldn't be used! So now I only use photos that show backs of children's heads, children in the distance and 'artistic' style shots of children's hands doing whatever. It's so much easier than faffing around checking who can and who can't be on the website
    Yes, but the problem for us is that our website (Welcome to Upton Junior School | Upton Junior School - Working together for our children's future) has lots of pics and of course the newsletter carries even more

Thank Post
    We have the same problem here, we don't have an agreement in place although in future we really should. The head has generally said that we shouldn't list form groups alongside names and I generally try to shorten names to first initial and surname.

Thank Post
    I run the website so I control what is published, our permissions tear off section is rather vaguely worded and I've asked the office to rephrase it so the parents are clear as what they are allowing to go the website, but they haven't done it as yet, so I publish photos with no identifiable children on.

I suggested that we explained that whilst photos may be uploaded onto our website at no time will children be indentified by name. ie naming sports teams from left to right.

However, we do have some children in care and some estranged parents/family so putting those children on the website un-named or not could cause some problems. Hence my 'opt out' it's so much easier! we don't have photos on newsletters just cheesy clip art!

Thank Post
    Sorry, my previous link was pants so I've deleted it. The link I meant to post was Becta's: Using images and video safely on school websites
    This might be of more use

11. Thanks to timzim from:

witch (6th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,094 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    we have just realised that I upload the newsletter every month and there are whole pages of achievers named, as well as pics of sports teams with the names alongside (but not tied to the pics in any way)
    Thanks, you have just made me realise we do exactly the same thing.
    We have the parental consent form sent out for the website but didn't think about the newsletter we upload.

Thank Post
    Interesting question. We have tick boxes on our induction form No photos, no photos in Newspapers, no photos on website. We have a couple of no ticks for children who are at risk but it would seem a lot easier for someone to track them down by googling their name. To prove the point, I just googled one of their names (it's an unusual one) and the first two hits were on our website!

I'm just off to have words with the PASCO.

Thank Post
    To add to this there is now a section in Sims to record this info

Thank Post
    Hi Witch,

We operate in a similar way to others here - on entry to the school (year 7 intake, new starters etc) parents are given a letter which allows the use of their childs image. We break that use down by offering a tick box for local newspaper, in-school publication, internet etc.
    The results of the letters are held centrally and referred to by anyone wanting to use a childs image.

Seperate to the parental permission we have an informal policy where we do not list full names of pupils - we only ever to refer to them by first name.

Our letter is fairly basic, but if you would like a copy feel free to PM me with your work address

Thank Post
    One school made the news recently for taking the rules a little too far...

School In Essex Uses Acid House Smiley Faces On Pupils' Photos On Internet | UK News | Sky News

Thank Post
    Along the lines of the smiley face, if any of my photos have a face that could be identified if the image was enlarged, I slightly blur the child's face in paint shop pro, it doesn't show as a blur when the image is normal size (400x300 px) but does when enlarged.

I know this makes me seem totally neurotic, but I am!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast