+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Thousands of Hotmail passwords leaked online! in General; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 805 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have been contacted by Microsoft (well someone from a MS Press office) regarding this and they have asked us to post the following info to you in case its needed by anyone.
    We are aware that some Windows Live Hotmail customers’ credentials were acquired illegally by a phishing scheme and exposed on a website. Upon learning of the issue, we immediately requested that the credentials be removed and launched an investigation. As part of that investigation, we determined that this is not a breach of any Microsoft servers. Subsequently we are taking measures to block access to all of the accounts that were exposed and have resources in place to help those users reclaim their accounts.

If users believe their information was documented on the illegal list, users should fill out the following form to reclaim access to their account. Phishing is an industry-wide problem and Microsoft is committed to helping consumers have a safe, secure and positive online experience. General information on what to do if you believe you have been victimized via a phishing scam is available on this page at our support community.

Additional Points
    Phishing is an industry-wide problem and Microsoft is committed to helping consumers have a safe, secure and positive online experience. Our guidance to customers is to exercise extreme caution when opening unsolicited attachments and links from both known and unknown sources, and that they install and regularly update their anti-virus software.

Microsoft recommends customers use the following protective security measures:
    • Renew their passwords for Windows Live IDs every 90 days
    • For administrators, make sure you approve and authenticate only users that you know and can verify credentials
    • As phishing sites can also pose additional threats, install and keep anti-virus software up to date
    I am glad to see Microsoft trying to get the information out there for people not in the know (like a lot of *staff*) so feel free to pass it on to your staff. You could even mention that MS do free av now at http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/ (no MS did not ask me to put this in before asking) and its getting good writeups as far as I have seen and anything is better then AVG free

Thank Post
    Scam hits more e-mail accounts

More than 20,000 e-mail addresses have been seen by the BBC.
    The scale of a phishing attack originally thought to be directed at Hotmail may be larger than previously thought.
    BBC News has seen a list of more than 20,000 more names and passwords that have been posted online.
    The list contains e-mail addresses and passwords from Hotmail, Yahoo, AOL, Gmail and other service providers.
    The list was published on the same website as the original list of 10,000 Hotmail login details.
    Some of the accounts appear to be old, unused or fake. However, BBC News has confirmed that many - including Gmail and Hotmail addresses - are genuine.
    Other addresses include Comcast and Earthlink accounts.
    It is not clear whether the list was part of the same phishing attack that collected the Hotmail addresses or a separate scam.
    Phishing involves using fake websites to lure people into revealing details such as bank account details or login names.
    A spokesperson for Microsoft said phishing was an "industry-wide problem".

Link to full article: BBC NEWS | Technology | Scam hits more e-mail accounts

Thank Post
    Typical

The most common single password in the sample of 10,000 purloined Live ID login credentials posted as a text file to developer site PasteBin.com was "123456", something only marginally more secure than the traditional favourite "password".
    Hotmail phish exposes most common passwords ? The Register

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    We have been contacted by Microsoft (well someone from a MS Press office) regarding this and they have asked us to post the following info to you in case its needed by anyone.

If users believe their information was documented on the illegal list, users should fill out the following form to reclaim access to their account. Phishing is an industry-wide problem and Microsoft is committed to helping consumers have a safe, secure and positive online experience. General information on what to do if you believe you have been victimized via a phishing scam is available on this page at our support community.

This paragraph directs you to a form that starts asking for all sorts of personal information, including your credit card number, expiry date and secret answers to your live accounts. Surely this is not the information Microsoft should be asking for, especially when we are always told to never give out your credit card details when someone asks for them. Am I right in ignoring the form or am I being a bit too over protective of my personal financial information?

Thank Post
    I agree dezt

Thank Post
    They aren't mandatory fields and I imagine you only fill them in if you use paid for Live services.

Mandatory fields are marked (required fields * )

Thank Post
    I recon this could be a scam, but the domain is the same as hotmail's usual domain. I doubt there would be any reason what so ever why Hotmail would need your card details.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oalcock View Post
    I recon this could be a scam, but the domain is the same as hotmail's usual domain. I doubt there would be any reason what so ever why Hotmail would need your card details.
    Did you actually read the message, and the form? ie. the part where the form is for reclaiming accounts you've been locked out of. The subheading saying 'for users with paid services' etc...?

It is on an official live.com site, ie. they'd have had to hack the MS website to be able to do that.

9. Thanks to localzuk from:

cookie_monster (7th October 2009)

Thank Post
    As stated above.

They aren't mandatory fields and I imagine you only fill them in if you use paid for Live services.

Mandatory fields are marked (required fields * )

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oalcock View Post
    Its not a scam, I had to provide that info and more to recover my account before. If its more comfortable you can also ring MS and provide the info over the phone.

Thank Post
    The interface doesn't seem very secure to be asking for credit card details!

Thank Post
    The interface doesn't seem very secure to be asking for credit card details!
    It's https
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 7th October 2009 at 02:52 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12