+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, how would you handle this? in General; None IT related... I've just purchased a bike off a friend in a bid to get myself fitter whilst enjoying ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

how would you handle this?

None IT related...

I've just purchased a bike off a friend in a bid to get myself fitter whilst enjoying myself. Just a basic, girly pink number.

I live on the second floor of a small block of apartments and have a small "communal" bike shed. I dont have a chain yet and out of interest i potter over to the bike shed to see how secure it was. When i open it im greeted with a wardrobe. On further inspection there are 2 car bumpers, 2 desks, a kids go-cart and a chest of drawers....oh and a bike! Obviously someone (or plural) has decided that as it wasnt being used, this is now their own personal storage space.

So i carried my not so light bike up 2 flights of stairs.....that wore me out more then riding the bloody thing around! Now im not gonna use it everyday, but i certainly dont fancy doing that everytime...

So what shall i do:

1: leave a polite note on the door asking kindly if they will move the stuff, or at least make room for me to put my bike in there
    2: ring the property manager and complain and let them do all the moaning and possibly risk a flat tyre..
    3: do what the little devil on my shoulder wants me to and ring the council and say that there is a load of rubbish in there that needs moving....

My friend said i should lock my bike to the door so they cant get in

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    as much as i love the sound of number 3, i think the best way forward would be to speak to your property manager :-) then you cant get yourself into any trouble.

So number 2 i would say..

Although if you knew who's it was, go and ask them to shift it lol!

er.. hmm i just replied to all 3 of the ideas now..

3. Thanks to EduTech from:

Little-Miss (4th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    1: leave a polite note on the door asking kindly if they will move the stuff, or at least make room for me to put my bike in there
    2: ring the property manager and complain and let them do all the moaning and possibly risk a flat tyre..
    3: do what the little devil on my shoulder wants me to and ring the council and say that there is a load of rubbish in there that needs moving....

My friend said i should lock my bike to the door so they cant get in
    I wouldn't do the note that would be more snotty than ringing the landlord in my oppion might be worth knocking on the door if you know whose the stuff is and asking them nicely first, then failing that ringing the landlord and ask him/her to just pop down and take a look (that way it looks like the landlord has just found it).

p.s I carry my bike up the stairs to my room just for safety, as people have a habit of leaving communal doors open.

5. Thanks to mossj from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    to your property manager :-) then you cant get yourself into any trouble.
    I wouldn't count on that, managers can let things slip to the person in the wrong...

Can i make another suggestion? I would do the below, that way the items in the shed are gone for good and you get a new shed

7. Thanks to FN-GM from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    I wouldn't count on that, managers can let things slip to the person in the wrong...

Can i make another suggestion? I would do the below, that way the items in the shed are gone for good and you get a new shed

thats what would happen to her flat if the owners found out she told the landlord! hehe!

9. Thanks to EduTech from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    thats what would happen to her flat if the owners found out she told the landlord! hehe!
    Probably nothing, but might be altercations with the owners of the rubbish in the shed. Some people feel the need to verbally attack someone who has made a complaint against them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Probably nothing, but might be altercations with the owners of the rubbish in the shed. Some people feel the need to verbally attack someone who has made a complaint against them.
    I was joking :-) hehe that wouldn't happen was just a bit of humour

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    I was joking :-) hehe that wouldn't happen was just a bit of humour
    Hey you never know, you can judge people all wrong. They could just turn round and do something like i said above, you may think you know them but....

Anyway, although this does relate to the original post lets focus on the question a little more.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    i do like the idea of burning the shed down....but feel i could get into a lot of trouble....arson doesn't look good on a CRB lol!

I prefer to remain annoymous with the people i live around, but am slightly concerned that the fact that my bike ends up in their might give it away!!

Maybe i should just shut up and carry the damn thing up the stairs like mossj said....consider it to be more exercise! lol
    Last edited by witch; 5th October 2009 at 08:58 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    i do like the idea of burning the shed down....but feel i could get into a lot of trouble....arson doesn't look good on a CRB lol!

I prefer to remain annoymous with the pikeys i live around, but am slightly concerned that the fact that my bike ends up in their might give it away!!

Maybe i should just shut up and carry the damn thing up the stairs like mossj said....consider it to be more exercise! lol
    Who knows! you might be Birminghams Strongest women in a few months lol! wont be so much of a littlemiss then ay

15. Thanks to EduTech from:

Little-Miss (5th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    You could try talking to them, you never know. They might not even want all the old junk and would be happy for (the help) in shifting it.

17. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 759 Posts
    Definitely number 2. For all you know the person who stashed all the junk may not even live there any more, - and that's the excuse you can use if anyone complains that you should have asked them.

That said, I would consider whether you want to store the bike there at all. It doesn't sound very secure from your description.

19. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Blog Entries
    tell the manager to get it shifted. Its a bike shed, not a storage shed. Landlord has the power to get it all removed.

21. Thanks to nephilim from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,469 Times in 984 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do you know the people who are storing the stuff in there? If so I would probably ask politely about why the items are being stored there. You never know, but could be that it was agreed that someone was allowed to temporarily store some things there, perhaps during a move or something?

I find its best to get as many facts as possible before making a complaint. You may complain to be told "Poor old Jimmy from number 20 lost his job and couldn't pay the rent and had to move out and we let him store some of his things while he found a new place"

23. Thanks to sparkeh from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    aww i like that P word!! Is it offensive?! Anyhoo, Chavs then....

I dunno who's stuff it is, i think they're in the block across from us. It's just the principle, they're all tramps!!
    Thinking about it, its probably not that safe as everyone has a key to it, and if someone can steal my mates 2000 bike from outside in less the 30 minutes i dont think i'll risk it. Its not even an expensive bike but its my bike!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast