+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Does your school have a "Bells" system? in General; We used to have the school bells "ringing" during the day, now it has been decided not to have them ...
    rad
    Thank Post

Does your school have a "Bells" system?

We used to have the school bells "ringing" during the day, now it has been decided not to have them and we have silence instead. Does anyone else not have them at school?

Personally I dont like it, I have to keep checking my watch to know what time of day it is as the bells gave us a routine.

Thank Post
    I can't imagine not having them... then again I came straight out of sixth form, so it's all I know in a school.

NB: Doesn't your computer have a clock on it? Or are you like me... always forgetting its there!

Thank Post
    How well is it working? I can see it working fairly well between lessons with teachers telling students when to leave etc but surely you need something at the end of break/lunch etc

4. Thanks to Jamman960 from:

rad (3rd October 2009)

Thank Post
    We do have bells, but I very rarely hear them. The amount of noise (or lack of it) coming from the classroom next door is a good indicator and my computer clock if I need to know the actual time.

6. Thanks to leco from:

rad (3rd October 2009)

Thank Post
    we had bells until one of the goves said turn them off and the head did. now i miss brake and lunch times..

8. Thanks to Cools from:

rad (3rd October 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Our bell are so loud I think they were installed by a 1970 rocker!! It is painful to be in the corridor next to a bell when it rings!!

10. Thanks to nicholab from:

rad (3rd October 2009)

Thank Post
    for Teachers at our secondary school/college it works better
    the bell only sounds at start of school and for the start of the lesson after dinner.

we used to have a mad rush out of the classrooms. computers left logged on.
    now the students aren't sure when the lesson ends exactly so it gives the teacher time to get students to log off computers, and let them leave the classroom in a nice fashion.

its certainly works......

as for tea breaks for the techies, we some times stop and sometimes work, but we go in shifts mostly.
    so its never a set time.

Its important we start our day on time and support is available during lunch and breaks, we could finish on time but we dont because we all enjoy our job its like a hobby when were doing what we want to do.

we dont ever think "i've worked extra, damn" if we do an hour extra we have that as time off, unless its a project where sometimes we get paid.

Time is never an issue for us in IT as the movements of students tells us what time it is, certain staff visiting the IT department, computer clocks, mobile phones and watches, plus every classroom and room has a radio wireless clock, so we are never far away from finding out the time. Even the phone in the office has the time on it.
    Last edited by spacevortex; 3rd October 2009 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Add some extra info

12. Thanks to spacevortex from:

rad (3rd October 2009)

rad
    Thank Post
    Interesting to hear others have or don't have the bells.

The head decided not to turn them back on after the holidays. To me it is quieter but you get used to the bells going off (I say bells it was an electronic sound) So without a signal to start of school, after break, lunch etc you forget and get bogged down in work and forget to keep checking.

As for computer clock, course it is there but there is no time when rebuilding PC's, unboxing stuff, networking etc etc.

Thank Post
    We have a bell system, but to be honest I seldom hear it. I don't work by them, so for me it's immaterial whether or not it runs

-ken

15. Thanks to wagnerk from:

rad (3rd October 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,263 Posts
    Every school I've been to has bells and my school did when I went to school (all those years ago)

It doesn't make much sense really not to have them as you need some sort of bell system for fire drills or indeed the real thing. The bell rings constantly so you know you must leave!

17. Thanks to Michael from:

rad (3rd October 2009)

Thank Post
    We have a 'buzzer' in our school which was installed sometime in the 1960's I think. We now only have it sounding at the beginning of the day, at the beginning and end of lunch and break, and the end of school, but no in-between lesson buzzers.

Staff have been told to use the computer clocks as a reliable time source, as they are all in sync to the domain, which is in turn synced to an NTP time server so it's probably the most accurate time source in the school.

Mike.

19. Thanks to maniac from:

rad (3rd October 2009)

Thank Post
    We have a bell system here. But has not been used to signify the change of lessons and break and lunch for 4 or more years. It's there primarily there for fire alarms. I think that this has an advantage that when the bell sounds the children know it's something exceptional. Was strange at first, but now I am used to it so I am not bothered now. Plus my office is connected to one of the ICT suites so I can gather when lessons change from the noise or lack of it.

21. Thanks to denon101 from:

rad (3rd October 2009)

Thank Post
    We don't have bells and it's a nightmare!
    We have kids out of lessons too early, skulking round corners, in the playground looking through windows - it's really bad.

Not having a bell system only works if all the teachers have their watches synchronised! It all depends on what time the teachers watch says. I'm sure some of them have them 10 minutes fast on purpose.

It will only work in a school which is managed well!

23. Thanks to KWestos from:

rad (3rd October 2009)

Thank Post
    We had bells at the end of each lesson but now limit them to start of morning lessons, end of break/lunch and home time. The new staff find it takes getting used to and they can be a real pain when trying to video, they always go off at the wrong time.

25. Thanks to laserblazer from:

rad (3rd October 2009)

Thank Post
    A few years ago they changed the bells so they now only go off at the start of the day, end of break and the end of lunch. They purchased a 'radio' clock for all the classrooms that picks the time up automatically from somewhere so we are sure that all the classrooms have the same time.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast