+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Does your school have a "Bells" system? in General; No bells in any of my schools. Doesn't really cause any issues, the teachers all know when the lessons start ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,094 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No bells in any of my schools. Doesn't really cause any issues, the teachers all know when the lessons start and end. We also have a radio clock system so all the clocks sync every so often.

Thank Post
    Schools have had bells for god knows how many years, why would they want to get rid? Talk about fixing something that isnt broken

Anyway, from my school days, if we couldnt hear the bell we'd use that as an excuse to stay on the field as long as we could at the end of lunch, with no bell I can gurantee it'd be a nightmare getting the kids in unless you're going to deploy loud teachers all around the site to shout at them

Thank Post
    I don't think we have bells, or at least i've never noticed them!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    In our schools they don't have a bell as such, they use the fire alarm, which sounds twice to signal the end of a period. This is fine, but one of the alarm sirens is in the server room, with me, and after every blast i have to spend the next 20 minutes climbing down from the roof space

5. 2 Thanks to BrianG:

Edu-IT (5th October 2009), rad (5th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,094 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    Schools have had bells for god knows how many years, why would they want to get rid? Talk about fixing something that isnt broken

Anyway, from my school days, if we couldnt hear the bell we'd use that as an excuse to stay on the field as long as we could at the end of lunch, with no bell I can gurantee it'd be a nightmare getting the kids in unless you're going to deploy loud teachers all around the site to shout at them
    Perhaps its different in primary schools as I can't see that bells are necessary. Teachers all know when to go and get the kids in, when lessons begin and end, the dinner ladies know when to get which kids in for their lunch etc. and it all works fine.

The good thing about no bells is you don't get that rush to pack up when the bell goes with the teacher shouting "The bell is for me not for you" (I am sure we have all heard that in our time )

Thank Post
    Only "Bells" we've got is in the Network Manager's bottom draw

Erm... just kidding btw, wouldn't want him to get into trouble!

We actually don't have a school bell either. Students get out of lessons when the teacher tells them. Works just fine.

I remember when I was at school doing music tech I used to get annoyed at the bell. You'd record a perfect take but the bell would go off and then it would take 20 more takes to get it right again

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post

The good thing about no bells is you don't get that rush to pack up when the bell goes with the teacher shouting "The bell is for me not for you" (I am sure we have all heard that in our time )

Ahh, brings back memories

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    In our schools they don't have a bell as such, they use the fire alarm, which sounds twice to signal the end of a period. This is fine, but one of the alarm sirens is in the server room, with me, and after every blast i have to spend the next 20 minutes climbing down from the roof space
    I remember when I was at school doing music tech I used to get annoyed at the bell. You'd record a perfect take but the bell would go off and then it would take 20 more takes to get it right again
    Brilliant! Made us all chuckle here.

We have a bell. Couldn't live without it! It signifies coffee time.

Thank Post
    I hate the bell always under it when it goes off. I wonder if compensation is in order when we're old and deaf?!

11. Thanks to Friez from:

BrianG (5th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Maybe this is some form of giant secret government research being performed nationwide - think Pavlov's dog on a bigger scale???

13. Thanks to korifugi from:

CAM (5th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,623 Posts
    We could never get rid of the bells because the head is always changing the lesson times due to tests, projects etc. Without bells we wouldnt know where on earth we were!

Thank Post
    We have a registration bell, end of break, end of lunch and "get out 'cause we're locking & alarming" bell... well it's more of an electric "dong". In the olden days there was a bell to signal which year's turn it was to go into lunch but that's done by tannoy announcement now.

Quote Originally Posted by DSapseid View Post
    A few years ago they changed the bells so they now only go off at the start of the day, end of break and the end of lunch. They purchased a 'radio' clock for all the classrooms that picks the time up automatically from somewhere so we are sure that all the classrooms have the same time.
    Our radio clocks don't work in the buildings. I look up in the middle of lessons and excitedly announce that "it's quarter to 7!" too often. :P
    Last edited by OllieC; 5th October 2009 at 08:41 PM.

Thank Post
    Last year we had no bells!

this year we switched to a crazy 55min timetable and bells are slowly being turned off 1 by 1.

biggest problem now is we have no am registration, straight into lesson 1. so we have a bell 3 minutes before.

Lunchtime is crazy, KS3 have lunch while KS4 have 20 mins tutor session each day, 20mins everyone is out at lunch then KS3 have tutor session each day for the last 20mins. think there is a bell just before the KS3 tutor session.

the fun comes in on Wednesday! lunchtime is early 11.45-12.45 and the kids finish at 2.30, instead of 3.30.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    We have bells, took about 20 minutes to program them, each day 1 by 1 each entry 1 by 1 -_-, its shared with the fire alarm as well so it confuses people at times. I think time for a new Fire Alarm and / or bell system They could have my voice on them all saying This is a fire please leave the building hehe (as if people didn't get enough of me on the Auto Attendant and Absences mailbox - confuses people when I answer my own phone had one the other day go blast i've got into a stupid loop, was funny so i said no you haven't and they were oh im very sorry hehe )

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12