+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Servers at Home in General; How many Edugeek members have servers at home? By server I mean the full kit and so forth - Windows ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Servers at Home

How many Edugeek members have servers at home? By server I mean the full kit and so forth - Windows 2003/2008/Linux servers running DNS, DHCP and so on.

I've wanted to do it for a while so I can teach myself some server setups but have never gotten around to it. Mrs Ed is worried about the electricity costs and also the worry that the server would blow up/catch fire and so on.

Mother Ed harps on about leaving my Sky plugged in all day and all night so since an early age I'm used to hearing about plugs and electric and the moans they have.

I can grab a UPS from work. I have a spare machine.

Just wondered what other people do.

GJE

Thank Post
    24/7 wise I only run one these days, it handles internal DNS/forwarders, webserving, inbound connections gateway and is responsible for pulling back ups from several servers overnight.

I used to run lots more but I'm quite happy with this one just chuntering away to itself.

Thank Post
    *stands up*
    "Hi, my names's Pete and this is my first Geeks Anonymous meeting. I... used to have a server problem, but I'm mostly over it now".

These days I have one server running a hypervisor (Xen atm) that holds about 3 production / likely to last out the month vms (2003, 2008, linux) and umpteen "I wonder what that does / what happens if I break X" vms with varied shelf lives.

That, a QNAP nas, couple of aps and a decent procurve is enough to satisfy the habit and makes the electricity bill bearable.

Pick a virtualisation technology and a decent spec box and you and Mrs Ed will be happier (and you'll have oodles more space in your geekcave/home office). You may need to do some fan swaps to meet SWMBO approval levels.

Thank Post
    i use my old pc as a dual booting 2003/3008 dc but its just for testing stuff at home. Do leave my main pc on 24/7 though as its a media centre

Thank Post
    You might want to consider a Synology NAS box - rather than just being a network storage box it's a proper linux machine, and you can run all of the services you've mentioned on one, with a bit of pratting about.

I have mine set up with a proxy so if I'm using my laptop on a dubious wireless connection I can SSH into my box and tunnel all web traffic via squid so it's effectively as secure if I was sat at home

t_h
    Thank Post
    My wireless router and NAS box pretty much cover everything I need on the home network. For testing I prefer to use virtual machines.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 744 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm running a slampp box - it does my email, http, ftp, etc. It's on all the time and the electricity bill is ok. Not like the old Dell Poweredge I used to have with 2003 on it.

Thank Post
    I run a silent Atom router, DNS/DHCP, mail and cache server, deliberately because it's less hungry on power but still stands up to my demands. It doesn't have a hard drive in either which helps.
    Last edited by powdarrmonkey; 29th September 2009 at 10:15 PM.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    I like this thread

I run a networkable system @ home:

1x Dell PowerEdge 840 (Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz, 8Gb of RAM, 2x 250Gb HDD, 1x 1Tb HDD, Dual Gig LAN - Teamed)
    It runs: Windows Server 2008 Standard SP2 64-bit, Exchange Server 2007 SP2 > Domain Controller, DNS, File Server Services

1x Dell PowerEdge 800 (Intel Pentium 4 2.8Ghz, 2Gb of RAM, 3x 36Gb SCSI HDD, Gig LAN)
    It runs: Windows Server 2008 Standard SP2 32-bit > Domain Controller > FSMO Roles > WDS > DHCP > DNS > IIS > FTP > Print Server.

1x HP ProLiant ML330 G3 (Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz, 3Gb of RAM, 2x 36Gb SCSI HDD, Gig LAN, LTO1 Tape Drive)
    It runs: Windows Server 2008 Standard SP2 32-bit > Test Box atm

1x 24 Port 3Com Gig Switch (Main Switch)

1x 48 Port Catalyst Cisco 3500 XL (Spare but running)

1x APC UPS 1400 (Powers\Protects Switches and Servers)

1x Netgear FVS114 (Firewall)

1x Netgear DGN834N (ADSL2+, Modem\Bridge Mode, 24Mb Be* Internet > syncs @ 21Mb)

2x D-Link Wireless Access Points (1 Up stairs, 1 down stairs)

1x 48 Port Patch Panel (Termination for all CAT5e cabling I did)

My youtube videos:

(I havent updated the videos for a bit now)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7RIKdWRwNg"]YouTube - Home Server Room - Update 1[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Nywh6RETM&feature=related"]YouTube - Home Server Room - Update 2[/ame]

Thats my setup I think, yes its over the top, yes no need really for it, but it keeps me quiet

Last edited by IanT; 29th September 2009 at 09:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by t_h View Post
    My wireless router and NAS box pretty much cover everything I need on the home network. For testing I prefer to use virtual machines.
    Ditto - I did have an old Dell OptiPlex running Windows Server 2003, Exchange 2003 and IIS for a while in order to host my own website and e-mail server, but after issues with my mail server being treated as a source of spam by Hotmail, Gmail etc, I decided it was too much hassle.

I use a Buffalo LinkStation Live 1TB for storage duties, the BT Business hub as my internet gateway/router/wireless access point. The NAS, desktop PC and laptop (when it is at my desk) share a gigabit switch. VMWare Workstation is on the desktop (a Core 2 Dup E8400 with 8GB RAM) and it does the job pretty well for testing OS's.

Connectivity is provided by BT Business Broadband and I have a static IP. I get around 7.5mb, which I am pretty pleased with for ADSL. Beats the 1.6mb I got at my last place.

I don't miss the extra noise (as the server was in my living room) and hassle of running my own dedicated server. The LinkStation also offers iTunes and DLNA server support as well, should I wish to add a media streamer at a later stage. Currently, I use the second output on my PC's graphics card with my TV and a digital audio connection to my hifi to stream iTunes, iPlayer, Spotify and any other video stuff from the PC.
    Last edited by nsherin; 29th September 2009 at 10:01 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanT View Post
    Thats my setup I think, yes its over the top, yes no need really for it, but it keeps me quiet
    You mean the fan noise drowns you out?

Thank Post
    When I lived with my parents I had 3-4 pc's running all the time, 2 as servers(win2k3/linux) along with the good old smoothwall box and even had one running as a Ragnarok Online server - that was a great excuse to play with SQL server

I generally do any testing on my laptop or work pc now, My wife would have a fit if I tried to setup more than 1 pc at home lol. I get enough grief if I bring home a pc to fix!

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    You mean the fan noise drowns you out?
    maybeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,599 Times in 2,017 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Used to have a couple of servers when I was at uni, one running Win NT (then 2000, then 2003), and one running Redhat/Fedora.

Now, I have a laptop (work), and a desktop (my media centre/gaming machine) and that's it... I recovered from the addiction :P

Thank Post
    One little Quad core Server running Server 08, exchange 07 and a few other bits and bobs.
    Mainly acts as storage and to push email/contacts/calendar to iPhone and outlook anywhere while on customers sites

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast