+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Edugeeks new toy in General; well i would say the easiest route would be go on edugeekbuy get your best quote and then come to ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    well i would say the easiest route would be go on edugeekbuy get your best quote and then come to the sponsors and we will see if we can beat, we personally dont and wont use the system for a view reasons buy will glady bid against pricing you get from it

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    I believe many of our existing suppliers are registered on the system with Buy Focus and am sure The Lord will be along soon enough to make a thread about it all and how it works. If you attended the last conference this is what was demonstrated at the conference and its now live and on the site.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Many of the current Edugeek Sponsors are already signed up to school quote so they will be able to quote you just the same. If you read Dos_Box's Thread it will explain things in more detail.

EduGeek Buy Facility

For any of you who do use this new system, it would be appreciated it you could post any feedback/problems in the forum

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/edugeek-buy-support/

@ Tech_Guy It does appear in the "New Posts" area as well so you can easily place a click in the upper right corner hehe

James.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Although you only see it if you view the front page.
    There's a front page?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    There's a front page?

--
    David Hicks
    indeed there is the front page is:

http://edugeekbuy.net

More and More Information will appear on there through-out the time, when more and more people use it you will see more and more quotes appear, as well as re-usable deals and feedback as well as quotes people have requested

James.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    well i would say the easiest route would be go on edugeekbuy get your best quote and then come to the sponsors and we will see if we can beat, we personally dont and wont use the system for a view reasons buy will glady bid against pricing you get from it
    Being honest, Simon, the idea of getting quotes and then getting another quote from another supplier just adds more time onto it. Unless you are talking about getting the quotes from EduGeek-Buy and then handing it to you to beat? I really dislike the comparison bidding that some suppliers do try and get you to do. Yes, you do a cracking trade and have good service but so do others ... I would not share the quote you give me with another company, it is not really fair to do the same to others. I hope that this is not what you are suggesting?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Being honest, Simon, the idea of getting quotes and then getting another quote from another supplier just adds more time onto it. Unless you are talking about getting the quotes from EduGeek-Buy and then handing it to you to beat? I really dislike the comparison bidding that some suppliers do try and get you to do. Yes, you do a cracking trade and have good service but so do others ... I would not share the quote you give me with another company, it is not really fair to do the same to others. I hope that this is not what you are suggesting?
    I have to agree. We soon get to know who gives us their best price without all the haggling and going back and forth. I too dislike comparison bidding partially because of the hassle but mostly because we then know that we're not offered the best price first off.

... and yes I do appreciate that a profit has to be made and that margins are small but help us and yourselves out and get repeat orders by doing the best you can in the first place.

HBJB

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,623 Posts
    I really dislike the comparison bidding that some suppliers do try and get you to do. Yes, you do a cracking trade and have good service but so do others ... I would not share the quote you give me with another company, it is not really fair to do the same to others. I hope that this is not what you are suggesting?
    Why not? It's my quote and I can do what I like with it. Why is it not fair to share the quotes? They aren't copyright or private or anything. Sorry, I really don't get this - the schools I work in are really strapped for cash and every little helps, frankly.
    If comparison bidding shows you that you weren't offered the best price in the first place, then that is a good reason to do it, surely? If you don't compare and just go with what they have told you then you could be losing out on some savings.
    PS: I don't necessarily always take the lower quote either, it depends on a host of other things such as support, relibility, delivery times etc
    Last edited by witch; 28th September 2009 at 10:49 PM.

9. Thanks to witch from:

CPLTD (29th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Comparison quotes are one thing ... you do the comparing. You taking a quote that company A gave you and going to another supplier, company B, and saying match or beat it is seriously unfair. There are folk out there that do this all the time without a care for the fact that someone has realistically tried to win some business ... and it has cost them to do it. On the other side you as a customer can get a reputation for someone untrustworthy and not worth doing business with ... and that could actually cost the school money because companies that can give good quotes will no longer do so. Speak to a few of the suppliers on here ... you will find that it is a pet hate and customers that treat them like this are not worth the business.

Whilst some might think it is fine, what happens if it is a larger quote ... perhaps recabling a network ... a few grand of work ... perhaps it is also kitting out some IT suites ... and then setting up servers ...

I am sure that everyone would be in uproar if an IT bid for an Academy was done like this, get one company to do the work and then take it to someone else to undercut it! Heck, if you went out to a large tender and did this then you would probably be breaking procurement rules at your LA, possibly even landing your school in trouble.

I don't like the NDA stuff that some companies add into their quotes as there are times I want to share specifications on my needs ... I will ask advice from resellers and solutions experts to help compare products and don't want an NDA enforced by a company to restrict my ability to do that ... but it is a gentleperson's agreement that you don't shaft your suppliers as you never know when it will backfire.

It may be seen as personal preference but I will slate any company I find pro-actively asking for quotes to try and beat. I have already said this personally to a few suppliers on EG and they understand my position ... often because it is defending their business. And yes ... I agree that best value is not always cheapest!
    Last edited by GrumbleDook; 28th September 2009 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Making it more generically aimed

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Fully Agreed Tony, and in a lot of cases its actually in breach of LEA Financial Standards and Rules, isn't it part of the FMSIS Standard (for some reason I think I've heard something about that practice with that but could be getting mixed up as we have had many audits and assessment checks in Finance of late).

I am not allowed to share quotes from suppliers with each other, especially not ones that are above the 5K purchase threashold, even I cannot see those quotes to start with as they have to be sealed quotes and opened with a member of the governing body, dated, timed and discussed with a committee and reported to the governing body, unless buying from a GCAT Registered Supplier EG Insight & Proband to name two as they are already via Government Approved Contracts then the 5K doesn't come into effect, the value moves higher to 20K I think.

I can give target prices (which may or may-not be based on existing quotes, they could be plucked from the air! so be warned!) but even that is a grey area. All suppliers are told the same thing, you must give your best price on first shot and it will be taken from there. Thus I am doing the comparing, and I make the choice, most of the time, with being cash strapped, its the cheapest, but sometimes its based on ETA of stock for urgent lines, past support experiences etc...

The Buyfocus stuff allows you to do all the comparisons yourself and make the decisions still, buyers rate the suppliers so new suppliers on the system need not be feared as once you've used them you can leave feedback for them, think along the lines of eBay style system, so everyone will still get to know them and trust them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,623 Posts
    There are folk out there that do this all the time without a care for the fact that someone has realistically tried to win some business ... and it has cost them to do it.

Sorry, are you saying that I should think about the cost to the company of doing a quote for me? What? It is part of their job, surely...
    And whilst you say that companies don't like it, most people will give a company an idea of what they have already had, quote-wise - so where is the difference?
    Actually, it doesn't always mean that the company looking at someone else's quote gets the business - quite often they will tell me that they can't do it for that price and to take the offer - I appreciate the honesty and will always go back to that supplier for another go next time. Conversely it is sometimes useful to go through the quote to see what is and isn't included - sometimes another supplier will spot something that they are giving me that the original quote isn't and hence their possibly more expensive quote.
    I don't just say 'that's it - beat that'!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Anything that adds a cost to a company gets passed on to the end customer ... so increasing the pointless quote requests can drive up costs. You may be thinking only about a few toners, or a batch of laptops ... but it all adds up. Speaking with two suppliers recently they thought that duplication of quotes with no business can add from 0.5% to 1.5% on the mark up (depending on value and quantity). For some schools that means the difference between going with company B rather than company A.

Yes, you can take it as part of the challenges of business and that companies should be prepared to accept it, but in general such practices drive up costs across the board.

Some prices for things are in the public view anyway ... things like gas and electricity prices ... and companies can out bid each other as much as they want, but it you want to do it via a bid war then do it properly, create a dutch auction where you stipulate what you want and then companies can bid, getting progressively lower in price in an open and fair manner. It can be done and is a reasonable process and companies can evaluate whether it is worth the effort and investment.

Thank Post
    I find this whole idea a bit impersonal to be honest, i prefer to build up a rapport with my suppliers, like simon at cpl and others, the idea of just casting requests out into the wilderness really doesnt appeal to me.

We wont be using it

just my thoughts

15. Thanks to kevbaz from:

CPLTD (29th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevbaz View Post
    I find this whole idea a bit impersonal to be honest, i prefer to build up a rapport with my suppliers, like simon at cpl and others, the idea of just casting requests out into the wilderness really doesnt appeal to me.

We wont be using it

just my thoughts
    Quite, but there are also time when tracking down kit and gettign quotes is a horribly time consuming process. Besides, it's not impersonal, the whole point is that you remain anonymous (imagine the follow on calls from some companies once they have your details after a session of phonign around and emails from companies you haven't brought from! With this once you have got a quote you like, you speak to the company direct.

Thank Post
    I do speak to companies direct, im happy to source the kit im after i then ask my trusted suppliers, yes it can sometimes be time consuming but 9/10 i know what i want and just need a price, a 2 minute email and its done.

I dont want to remain annomnous with my suppliers, i like to talk to them by name, build up a rapport and a level of not necessarily trust but an understanding with them, im quite happy to drop suppliers who give me the run around and my suppliers know that, they also know i will go back to them if they keep me happy and they will get alot of buisness through me.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast