+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, How much money should i be asking for? in General; ...

Thank Post

How much money should i be asking for?

At the moment i work in a school as part of a 2 man technician team with an offsite support company partly managing the I.T in school.

It is a nightmare so me and my colleague look to be taking over full control in the near future and we will obviously be expecting more money. Even now i feel our jobs exceed "technician" as we are developing new office and school procedures and are solely responsible for investigating and trialing new hardware/sofware for the future much in the way a I.T Manager would be doing, we are not just reparing and maintaining, we are making all the decisions that affect the school.

At the moment we are both roughly on £15k but my question is how much do you think we should be demanding when everything comes in-house and we will both have taken our MCTS qualifications. Just looking for some ballpark figures from schools which may be setup in a similar way with 2 technicians sharing all duties.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    A few friends of mine, who are technicians in a 3 man team, for a secondary school are on aprox £ 16,000. One of them, whose a Senior tech at a Secondary is on about £18,000
    It depends on school, how much money they've got to spend on ICT and staffing. Sometimes schools are reluctant to pay more unless they can see the benefits. I think as long as you can show how much work is and will be done and how it will benefit the school I can't see them arguing too much about a pay rise.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    A few friends of mine, who are technicians in a 3 man team, for a secondary school are on aprox £ 16,000. One of them, whose a Senior tech at a Secondary is on about £18,000
    It depends on school, how much money they've got to spend on ICT and staffing. Sometimes schools are reluctant to pay more unless they can see the benefits. I think as long as you can show how much work is and will be done and how it will benefit the school I can't see them arguing too much about a pay rise.
    When ever on threads like these I have seen that they get suggested to contact or speak with schools IT departments from schools close by to get an idea and make an average based on that because pay between different counties for school IT support is different that or LEA possibly ?

Thank Post
    yeah they are fully aware we will be having a pay rise, its just the question of how much and how much we ask for, so thats why i wanted to get a few ideas of what similar schools technicians were on.

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    I think it varies a lot across the country! Depends on lots of things (including how ICT aware you management team are). Maybe your LEA website may have jobs posted on there as well, obviously go for a high figure but try and find some example nearby.

Thank Post
    The LEA will have a standard set of Job Descriptions with set a pay scale band for each one. You will therefore need to negotiate which Job Description fits the role. The JD's should be available from whoever deals with HR stuff in the school.

Thank Post
    for a 1500 3-1 school

Network manager should be 24-27k
    Senior Tech 18-20k
    Tech 16-18k

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    When ever on threads like these I have seen that they get suggested to contact or speak with schools IT departments from schools close by to get an idea and make an average based on that because pay between different counties for school IT support is different that or LEA possibly ?
    That's very true. I've moved from one authority to another and my pay has gone up by 2k a year for doing the same job. The pay i put in my post was an example. Finding out from schools in the area is a good idea, or getting guidlines on pay from the LEA is a good idea too

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    The LEA will have a standard set of Job Descriptions with set a pay scale band for each one. You will therefore need to negotiate which Job Description fits the role. The JD's should be available from whoever deals with HR stuff in the school.
    lol.. they havent a clue about JDs to do with IT support in this school, in fact I have had to write them for any techs I have had. They have tryed to do them but they dont represent the job much at all. Not sure if they have any pay guidelines (they would most likely keep it secret so they have more control of things)

The authority has though I think

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread