+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Liliy Allen has a go at older artists in General; Lily Allen lobs blog at Wrinkly Rockers ? The Register Perhaps if she, and her ilk showed some talent, and ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 986 Posts
    Blog Entries

Liliy Allen has a go at older artists

Lily Allen lobs blog at Wrinkly Rockers ? The Register

Perhaps if she, and her ilk showed some talent, and put a LOT of hard work into what they do, just like the people she's slating, then maybe she wouldn't find it so hard?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Talent? Lilly Allen is one of the few modern artists that oozes talent, her performance at Glastonbury was superb for example, and I'm not into modern stuff most times. (I like Mike Oldfield, Iron Maiden etc...). Don't dump her in with the majority of modern talentless musicians (although, they shouldn't get that title. Maybe 'noise makers' would be more suited.)

However, she is right about the music industry having been left behind by technology.

Personally, I buy all my music legally via downloading services - the rebel illegal downloading part of me went when I was in uni, as soon as downloading services became usable.

My main issue at present is the annoyance of DRM. If I go to a shop, my CD isn't restricted to a few random devices, but an AAC from apple is? Not really right is it?

I continue to be a paying member of Last.FM and pay for Spotify advertless service quite often (only a day at a time usually, when I actually will be listening to it a lot). But these services are unlikely to ever sustain the music industry.

Lilly Allen is right about the fact that artists should be making most of their money from touring and merchandise. CD's and songs are more like a marketing tool than anything else now.

Thank Post

Who'd of known

Vera Lynn is still better than her, and daddies money can't change that one.

Just because the 12 year old girls that purchased her songs are now old enough to realise shes a fake talentless ugly with a plastic accent, she may have to write a decent song.... or change marketing tactics.... daddy?.
    Last edited by witch; 25th September 2009 at 09:44 AM.

4. 5 Thanks to Theblacksheep:

BatchFile (28th September 2009), firefighting (25th September 2009), Friez (25th September 2009), G-Jackson (25th September 2009), torledo (24th September 2009)

Thank Post
    "Why do you think you are just getting Terminator 6 and Harry Potter 7 instead of exciting new voices?"
    Probably for the same reason when you copied Oh my god by the kaiser chiefs;, because its quick and easy money!
    I think she'll find that bad copies, manufactured crap, and the whole idea of milking as much money out of a desposable artist/group has been going on for alot longer than file sharing has.

Thank Post
    I love the fact that she thinks she's a musician. Like what she's doing is skilled and important. She#s writing like she's living in a cardboard box under a railway station, playing music to the people who pass by because she loves the music so much.

What she's actually doing is producing streams and streams of cack that someone in a mixing room is fixing up to make it tolerable and she's earning loads of money and then telling us she deserves more.

It reminds me of that South Park, where the policeman was trying to make the boys feel bad for downloading an .mp3 because R-Kelly couldn't buy an island in french polynesia.

This isn't about the legality of downloading music or movies, she just wants to get paid more.

My personal opinion is that the music industy has had pirating since the 60's ( people recording stuff onto tape etc) and if they haven't found a way to deal with it by now then it deserves to be in a state.

-----------

Edit: I'm writing from what I've heard on the news about this debate ( her blog etc) so if I got any of that wrong, I give my apology
    Last edited by Nausey; 23rd September 2009 at 04:18 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Lilly Allen is right about the fact that artists should be making most of their money from touring and merchandise. CD's and songs are more like a marketing tool than anything else now.
    No, The Featured Artists Coalition said that, she disagreed with it, saying ".. its alright for you who have made it, but for us, and the british music industry, its a bad thing".

Which i know to be the opposate of your opinion (and mine)

Thank Post
    The other thing is she seems to think the people who are going to catch the file-sharers aren't people who are interested in file-sharing. I mean that is the esential thing isn't it. She needs to understand that if people can get something for free (and as long as the internet is about, they will be able too) they will, no matter if it's hurting so called artists like herself.

If someone loves music enough they will do it for the love of music rather than the love of money and she is clearly doing it for the love of the money.

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Talent? Lilly Allen is one of the few modern artists that oozes talent, her performance at Glastonbury was superb for example, and I'm not into modern stuff most times. (I like Mike Oldfield, Iron Maiden etc...). Don't dump her in with the majority of modern talentless musicians (although, they shouldn't get that title. Maybe 'noise makers' would be more suited.)
    I'm not disagreeing with you just for the sake of it but.... really.. you think she's good. Since the day I heard her first track and then found out about who her dear old dad was I felt she was just in the industry cause she could make a lot of money without having to do be actually talented.
    Last edited by Nausey; 23rd September 2009 at 04:34 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm the biggest Lily Allen hater you'll find, and she has no right speaking up for musicians (as she isn't one...) and as for oozing talent I don't know what you were watching, but I saw her in budapest this year and she was oozing alright....just not talent.

However, she's right in so much that the FAC can't speak for all artists either.

There does need to be a major shift in the music industry, as they're still stuck in the 70's business model.

Speaking as a musician, its much harder now to be noticed. Anyone can publish music online, and it seems that this has pushed quality bands to the background in amongst the chaff.

So, bands such as mine end up financing ourselves.

this past year I've bought:
    a van
    a grands worth of recording
    mastering for said recording
    a grands worth of t shirts
    Stickers, badges, etc

Thats excluding the gear upgrades I've had to get as we start playing bigger venues.

The days of getting signed by a label that sorts everything are more or less gone, and we're only starting to break even from playing shows and things, maybe when the ep comes out we'll start actually making something

10. 6 Thanks to Domino:

dalsoth (24th September 2009), fafster (25th September 2009), fiendishlyclever (24th September 2009), firefighting (25th September 2009), Friez (25th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    well i think she's fit and I love the song chinese lol

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    well i think she's fit
    MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    lol well shes fitter than you dude lol

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    She was ok before drugs got into her system the first few songs where good they Norah Jones (now that is under rated artist in my view). But ever since the drugs she lost her voice and any talent that went with it,

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Have i been under a rock or are we mixing Amy Winehouse and Lilly Allen up? I thought Amy was the Drug-problematic singer with a dodgy voice, I don't personally find Lilly Allen that bad myself, not as talented as Sir Elton or the late Mr Mercury but if I had to have Lilly or Amy it would be Lilly

16. 2 Thanks to john:

CPLTD (23rd September 2009), localzuk (23rd September 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    as talented as the late Mr Mercury
    are many/any artists?

i like lilly allens music and have bought cds (as tbh i just play em once into my pc and convert to mp3 so no drm crap (i flat out refuse to have any drm spoiled music i want to play it on whatever device is to hand be it my pc car stereo (burnt as a compilation disk), phone xbox, wii and so on drm stops me doing that (or at least locks me into one system be it y tunes or whatever). I actually do have a audio cd somewhere that is drm'd and its a right pain diddnt like any of my pcs (dont have a cd player why when stereo is wired to pc?) except an old 98 box so i just ripped it using that and thats part of the problem in the end i WAS going to mp3 just because they diddnt want me to they set me a challenge to beat them. Maybe record companies would make more cash if their business models made sense in a digital world or they stopped just trying to sell identikit boyband music or x-factor/pop idol etc and signed bands with some musical ability rather than the ability to look good on a poster

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    are many/any artists?
    True, some come close, Sir Elton for instance, but agreed, no modern ones that come to mind (modern meaning formed in the last few years rather than "old" ones who are still going -gosh that sound complex mess!!!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast