+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Liliy Allen has a go at older artists in General; The angst!! Since I last read this thread it's derailed into a discussion about tits and people bending over. So ...
    Thank Post
    The angst!!

Since I last read this thread it's derailed into a discussion about tits and people bending over. So much for me going off on one!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,944 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    I've ripped CDs to my own MP3, and that's it. I have never downloaded music that I haven't paid for, never downloaded a game or software which I didn't have the appropriate license for, and never downloaded a pirated eBook.

So yes, I can actually take a moral stance here.
    No you can't. Ripping a CD to your own MP3 is illegal under UK copyright law...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 806 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    That's not exactly hard to beat lol, no offence to Domino
    heyyyyyyy !

....aw, who am i kidding?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    However, in comparison to downloading music you haven't paid for its relatively minor, so I do feel comfortable in saying that I haven't stolen music, software, video or similar.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    However, in comparison to downloading music you haven't paid for its relatively minor, so I do feel comfortable in saying that I haven't stolen music, software, video or similar.
    Ah, but the law is the law... We don't get to pick and choose which law to follow. By you doing that copying yourself, you're taking a potential sale away from a company like Apple or Amazon, and therefore removing pay from the people keeping those online stores active...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    usual suspects taking stuff too seriously. quel suprise.

She is fit though.
    Best point made on this thread

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 987 Posts
    so then how are you meant to put your cd collection into iTunes - normally when inserting a disc it prompts do you want to add to your iTunes music collection and you go from there or create a play list and import it into the playlist / your itunes library

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    so then how are you meant to put your cd collection into iTunes - normally when inserting a disc it prompts do you want to add to your iTunes music collection and you go from there or create a play list and import it into the playlist / your itunes library
    Simply put, you're not meant to. This is why there are various proposals around to stop this being illegal.

In the US I believe that it is legal to rip music, so you can always take a quick holiday.

At the time I ripped music, I wasn't aware it was illegal. This was back before I went to university. Nowadays the only music I have is bought through the Nokia download store, or free music from sites like Jamendo.

Thank Post
    I've ripped CDs to my own MP3, and that's it. I have never downloaded music that I haven't paid for, never downloaded a game or software which I didn't have the appropriate license for, and never downloaded a pirated eBook.

So yes, I can actually take a moral stance here.
    But like localzuk said its still illegal, so why exactly do you feel that your morals are better than someone elses to make the judgement of what is right and what is wrong?

At the time I ripped music, I wasn't aware it was illegal. This was back before I went to university. Nowadays the only music I have is bought through the Nokia download store, or free music from sites like Jamendo.
    Ignorance isnt an excuse

And im sorry but; someone who only buys music from online stores in digital format lecturing people on artists not getting payed enough. You do know how much (or rather how little) they get from the sale of an mp3 dont you?
    Last edited by j17sparky; 28th September 2009 at 11:22 AM.

Thank Post
    If thats illegal howcome apple has included that feature into iTunes and why have they not stopped that feature or taken it out ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If thats illegal howcome apple has included that feature into iTunes and why have they not stopped that feature or taken it out ?
    Killing people, and using a knife to do so, is also illegal. Why do shops still sell knives??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Killing people, and using a knife to do so, is also illegal. Why do shops still sell knives??
    Might be a butcher or a regular user who needs a knife for carving there sunday roast , just because you sell knives does not mean everyone is going to be a killer or that way inclined

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Why should Apple have to reduce functionality of an international piece of software just because someone in one of the countries that use it could use it for an illegal purpose.

DVD burners can be used to copy DVDs, photocopiers can be used to copy books, cars can be used to run people over, etc...

Thank Post
    Why should Apple have to reduce functionality of an international piece of software just because someone in one of the countries that use it could use it for an illegal purpose.

DVD burners can be used to copy DVDs, photocopiers can be used to copy books, cars can be used to run people over, etc...
    Photocopiers ( at least the latter ones ) have a mechanism in them that when trying to copy money will either refuse to do the copy or it will output the copy wrongly or overlay "This is a copy" or something to that effect over the copied version of the note / money.

DVD burners can be used to make copys but that is down to the end users actions the same with the cars can be used to run over people / animals.

With regards to why should apple make it different well they certainly made a store for the USA and a store for the UK etc and some things on the USA store are not on the UK store / and possibly visa versa so if its not legal in the UK then you would of thought they would of removed it

As per wiki article here

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripping"]Ripping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

In the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom"]United Kingdom[/ame], making a private copy of copyrighted media without the copyright owner's consent is illegal: this includes ripping music from a CD to a computer or digital music player.[6][7] The UK government has made proposals to allow people to make copies of music for personal use.[8]. According to one survey, 55% of British consumers believed ripping a CD to be legal, and 59% admitted to doing it.[9][10].

Am guessing due to the fact that its been proposed they may of kept the feature in on the uk itunes

Where as in the USA

United States

On the whole, it is legal for an individual in the United States to make a copy of media he/she owns for his/her own personal use. For instance, making a copy of a personally-owned audio CD for transfer to an MP3 player for that person's personal use would be legal.
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 28th September 2009 at 11:53 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Photocopiers ( at least the latter ones ) have a mechanism in them that when trying to copy money will either refuse to do the copy or it will output the copy wrongly or overlay "This is a copy" or something to that effect over the copied version of the note / money.
    What about every other type of copyrighted document in the world? Why are you focussing on one item??

DVD burners can be used to make copys but that is down to the end users actions the same with the cars can be used to run over people / animals.
    Ripping CD's is down to a user's actions also...

As per wiki article here

Ripping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the United Kingdom, making a private copy of copyrighted media without the copyright owner's consent is illegal: this includes ripping music from a CD to a computer or digital music player.[6][7] The UK government has made proposals to allow people to make copies of music for personal use.[8]. According to one survey, 55% of British consumers believed ripping a CD to be legal, and 59% admitted to doing it.[9][10].

Where as in the USA

United States

On the whole, it is legal for an individual in the United States to make a copy of media he/she owns for his/her own personal use. For instance, making a copy of a personally-owned audio CD for transfer to an MP3 player for that person's personal use would be legal.
    Irrelevant - the law is still the law, until it is changed.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast