+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
General Chat Thread, Liliy Allen has a go at older artists in General; Originally Posted by jamesb All that I'm asking for is an argument in defense of copyright infringement which is both ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,398 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    All that I'm asking for is an argument in defense of copyright infringement which is both sensible, and carries some weight. A good, solid argument for breaking the law. I've yet to see one which isn't completely subjective. It seems that in many cases people are breaking the law as a form of protest, but there are many musicians who are bypassing the record publishing companies which people are protesting against. Surely more support for these musicians, which would be completely legal, would be a better option than continuing to break the law? Combined with a boycott on those that people object to would make the position stronger still.
    That's your opinion. Also, all the methods you talk of do not negate each other. ie. you can support the musicians who don't follow the usual record industry methodology, you can boycott purchases and you can still download songs.

What you seem to be saying is simply that you disagree with the methodology of the protest. So be it. Many people objected to the methodology of many protest movements. Doesn't stop it happening though. And when you add all the different methods together, you get a comprehensive package of ways of forcing the companies to change.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    That's your opinion. Also, all the methods you talk of do not negate each other. ie. you can support the musicians who don't follow the usual record industry methodology, you can boycott purchases and you can still download songs.

What you seem to be saying is simply that you disagree with the methodology of the protest. So be it. Many people objected to the methodology of many protest movements. Doesn't stop it happening though. And when you add all the different methods together, you get a comprehensive package of ways of forcing the companies to change.
    I think you've just summed up my position actually. Thanks for helping me clarify it to myself as much as anything else.

Thank Post
    I remember a good number of years back that Mike Oldfield was taking part in a Radio Show about this very subject, and he was accused by one of the then current musicians (it may even have been that guy out of The Prodigy) of being an old dinosaur who should move on (well he had been around 20 years since the early 70s). He may have had a good point to make until it was revealed that he was actually older than Oldfield himself, who had of course made it big whilst still a teenager and at that time was still under 40.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910