+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Snow Leopard 'less secure than Windows Vista' in General; "Snow Leopard's more secure than [previous release] Leopard, but it's not as secure as Vista or Windows 7." Mac users ...

Thank Post

Snow Leopard 'less secure than Windows Vista'

"Snow Leopard's more secure than [previous release] Leopard, but it's not as secure as Vista or Windows 7."
    Mac users are far less likely to get hacked than PC users. However, that is simply due to numbers: there aren’t enough Macs to make it worthwhile for hackers.

It's harder to write exploits [hacks] for Windows than the Mac, but all you see are Windows exploits.

"That's because if [the hacker] can hit 90 per cent of the machines out there, that's all he's gonna do. It's not worth him nearly doubling his work just to get that last 10 per cent."
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...ows-Vista.html

Finally, there's something ill-received of Apple.
    Personally speaking, I think Apple is going through what Microsoft did back in the 80's and early 90's and that is pushing Windows vehemently in everybody's faces, but doing so cleverly.

Down with Apple - Cheap PCs for ever.

2. 2 Thanks to Chuckster:

nephilim (23rd September 2009), tech_guy (23rd September 2009)

Thank Post
    This depends on how you define secure. Most security issues are introduced by users doing ill-advised things. The system of running as a regular user, and entering your password to elevate privileges when required (which OSX has had since day 1) is far more secure than the Windows version (which came along later) and bombarded the user with so many pop ups that most either just click yes to everything or turned the thing off.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    This depends on how you define secure. Most security issues are introduced by users doing ill-advised things. The system of running as a regular user, and entering your password to elevate privileges when required (which OSX has had since day 1) is far more secure than the Windows version (which came along later) and bombarded the user with so many pop ups that most either just click yes to everything or turned the thing off.
    Couldnt agree more.....if you type the sys admin password in without thinking or checking then you deserve everything you get....its just sorting the gene pool....The people who say windows is better than OS X tend not to have used it.....I have seen numerous "confirmed" windows based IT people swap to a Mac over the last few years....but not seen ANY go the other way.....wonder why??

Cheers

Gareth

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 758 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What a terribly written sudo-technical article.

...what i expect from British papers these days really...

Thank Post
    Its more of a muchness for me now - everyone has there own opinions and I enjoy using OS X when possible and although the article may be true etc it just means that it will make OS X over time a lot more robust as I am sure at some point they will resolve it in one way or another.

I still do use windows but no where near as much as I use OS X but having the ability to swap between OS's ie linux, free bsd, open solaris, OS X, windows etc allows me the flexability to do what I want when I want.

Fair enough I have mac hardware ( part where I get flamed and sent into eternal damnation by those who hate macs etc possibly )

Either way It was my money, my choice and apple hardware / OS is what I went with because it suited my needs and what i wanted , not anyone elses.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread