+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, District 9 in General; Loved it - saw it this evening. Peter jackson never seems to miss....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

District 9

Loved it - saw it this evening.

Peter jackson never seems to miss.

Thank Post
    Awesome film, saw it the other week and loved it... do rather think he sounds a bit scouse when he swears though. :P

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I saw it a couple of weeks ago, and while I did enjoy it, to be honest I thought it was 'just OK'.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    yeah those Prawns have some character dont they,

Thank Post
    I honestly believe that less intelligent people dont get this film and thats why its slated so much. IMO its a brilliant film, and damn damn damn brave to be tackling the social commentary of what it covers. The characters and actual storyline are almost second place to the bigger picture of what the film is poytraying and questioning.

The setting of the film is genius on the film makers part.

Truly ground breaking

Thank Post
    Saw it last week and same as you guys loved it, do you recon that there will be a second? maybe District 10?

Thank Post
    I saw it last Thursday, and same as all of you, I loved it. The wife thought it was just 'OK' but I thought it was fantastic.

The only thing that let it down for me was the South-African accent seemed to turn more and more into a Scouse accent, especially when he was shouting.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    nothing quite like a prawn curry !!!

Thank Post
    Some of the graphics were ok but much of the story was naff. They had been here so many years and yet in some scenes we were still disecting them on the table like it was something new? Still had no idea how any of their tech worked? Come on!

Sending army guys to reason door to door with aliens that kick your arms off and behave like rabid dogs? nah! How come they came here but none of em knew how to work their ship for 20 years? How come they were all so damned stupid eating from trash like feral dogs? Building bunkers under their shacks? Liek the FBI would not have had every building bugged and CCTV'd 24/7.

Could do better!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dalsoth View Post
    Some of the graphics were ok but much of the story was naff. They had been here so many years and yet in some scenes we were still disecting them on the table like it was something new? Still had no idea how any of their tech worked? Come on!

Sending army guys to reason door to door with aliens that kick your arms off and behave like rabid dogs? nah! How come they came here but none of em knew how to work their ship for 20 years? How come they were all so damned stupid eating from trash like feral dogs? Building bunkers under their shacks? Liek the FBI would not have had every building bugged and CCTV'd 24/7.

Could do better!
    The aliens were 'workers' all dumb and only took orders from higher up. Guess you must have been picking your nose or something when it explained (and it does explain it) that!

11. Thanks to Hightower from:

lew_bob (23rd September 2009)

Thank Post
    Yep expalined pretty much all you said,....

ps, the social commentary of the film is tht there are TODAY places like tht in South Africa, FBI doesnt have them bugged and yes normal chaps with basic pistols are expected to go serve eviction orders etc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    One of the few films that exceeds the hype it was given.

I really enjoyed it

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lew_bob View Post
    I honestly believe that less intelligent people dont get this film and thats why its slated so much. IMO its a brilliant film, and damn damn damn brave to be tackling the social commentary of what it covers. The characters and actual storyline are almost second place to the bigger picture of what the film is poytraying and questioning.

The setting of the film is genius on the film makers part.

Truly ground breaking

Good film but nothing to wet your pants about. I think if you didnt get the metaphor of aliens being second class, especially when based in post apartied africa then you dont deserve to even be in a "less intelligient" category. My problem was actually with the fact they had done something slightly clever but glitzed over it with a bit to much action to get the crowds in.

The other bit that annoyed was the fact that the main chap was almost made out to be a martyr by helping the main alien, when infact if he hadnt faffed about near the end and *spoiler* and nocked him out when he was going under his hut *spoiler over* then everything would have been rosie in the first place and would wouldnt have been put through the robocop scene.

Think definatly a sequal is on the way......

Good but could do better.... a 7.2 from me

Thank Post
    Probably did not help much that when i watched it a few weeks ago round a friends it was on a dodgy copy with some rather dodgy subtitles. Still thought it was a bit naff and even with the subtitles a bit dodgy did it explain where the smart aliens were? Why had only the workers survived?

They had this space ship in the sky and all the worlds governments had not ripped it into a million pieces to get its tech? Yeh i know it had to have DNA and stuff but it looked abandoned in the sky for years.

Surely all of these things were not explained in the subtitles??

Thank Post
    I honestly believe that less intelligent people dont get this film and thats why its slated so much.
    Exactly what I thought when I heard some people slating it. Allot of people will go thinking ‘Independence Day’ and be very disappointed at having to think about the film. Personally I thought it was great and a refreshing change of style.

They had this space ship in the sky and all the worlds governments had not ripped it into a million pieces to get its tech? Yeh i know it had to have DNA and stuff but it looked abandoned in the sky for years.

Surely all of these things were not explained in the subtitles??
    The story is supposed to parody the Apartheid era so the story is focused on the character interaction and the 'human' situation thus the alien ship and technology aspect are secondary to the plot. This is why they don’t obsess about explaining that part of the story.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 23rd September 2009 at 01:09 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast