+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Uh oh. Labour cutting education budget in General; Labour's 2bn cuts for schools - Times Online Last one out... turn off the lights...
    Thank Post

Uh oh. Labour cutting education budget

Labour's 2bn cuts for schools - Times Online

Last one out... turn off the lights

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    To be fair it was expected it will be interesting to see where the cuts will be made etc.

Russ

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And here it is on the BBC site:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8265166.stm

We're all gonna get shafted - what a load of balls.....

Thank Post
    On the other hand not much money would be saved by sacking us - we don't get paid enough

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Listen - can you hear that sound?

It's the sound of RM rubbing its hands together at the thought of all those NMs and Techs that are going to get the chop and the support contracts they're going to win.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do they really think schools keep on random unneeded staff? Budgets are thin enough as it is.

You know what would save a lot of money? Scrapping BSF...

Thank Post
    don't worry folks, some of you may be too young to remember the neoliberal cycle in action.

It goes something like this.....debt financed good times, booming stock market, skyrocketing house prices, budget surplus, rising houshold debt, easy credit. then .....

woops apocalypse credit squeeze, consumer retreats, recession, govt. deficit, signs of recovery, dash for assets, debt hysteria, SPENDING CUTS.

rinse and repeat once every 10-15 years.

We are currently at the prelude to the SPENDING CUTS stage, what follows the cuts is the return to 'debt financed good times.' eventually.

The only spanner in the works is if you stumble upon the lesser spotted 'TURN JAPANESE' phase. then it's KEEP SPENDING and 0% INTEREST RATES FOR-EVER.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Do they really think schools keep on random unneeded staff? Budgets are thin enough as it is.

No, no, dont be silly.... public money must go to private companies and in turn shareholders, not schools and staff.

9. 2 Thanks to Theblacksheep:

Netman (21st September 2009), tech_guy (20th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you read articles most of talk is reducing senior staff and most of that through natural wastage. The thing is what you found the cuts have already been happening as lot of LAs have got a freeze on hiring new staff unless there is a real case for it.

Russ

11. 3 Thanks to russdev:

ButterflyMoon (20th September 2009), tech_guy (20th September 2009), u8dmtm (21st September 2009)

Thank Post
    They could save the money and more if they just stopped BSF. Thats a cash eating monster.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    If you read articles most of talk is reducing senior staff and most of that through natural wastage. The thing is what you found the cuts have already been happening as lot of LAs have got a freeze on hiring new staff unless there is a real case for it.

Russ
    What senior staff? Seriously, do schools have random SMT members hanging about or something? I have not come across a school with that sort thing, ever...

I think his idea of senior staff wastage only works if you tie it with the hard federation idea. ie. one SMT for a fleet of schools instead of multiple SMTs. So what he's actually intending to do is remove a large number of experienced, skilled and knowledgable people from jobs that many do well, by removing the number of head teachers, deputy heads and the like needed in each LA.

There's generally a reason schools each have an SMT of their own - because every school is different, and every school has its own workload for those people to do...

Thank Post
    localzuk

I agree I remember reading recently that each project is coming in at between 20-30% over budget and due to the current climate private companies are becoming less willing to make the investments. BSF in it's curent form is going to be chopped very early in the next term in my opinion.

russdev

If you read articles most of talk is reducing senior staff and most of that through natural wastage. The thing is what you found the cuts have already been happening as lot of LAs have got a freeze on hiring new staff unless there is a real case for it

Most LA's policies on redundancy involve natural wastage so it will probably just involve an employment freeze.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 20th September 2009 at 01:46 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    We had to make a member of SLT redundant where I work, and have done the staff wastage thing and non-teaching and teaching redundancy, we are now an incredibly trimmed workforce with no-one extra really at all. It affected ICT as we lost a tech

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    We had to make a member of SLT redundant where I work, and have done the staff wastage thing and non-teaching and teaching redundancy, we are now an incredibly trimmed workforce with no-one extra really at all. It affected ICT as we lost a tech
    and that's before the govt cuts. If Labour will cut 2bn, imagine what the Tories would do !

Thank Post
    BSF in it's curent form is going to be chopped very early in the next term in my opinion.
    A while back I posted about a (right-wing think tank) paper on BSF. One of the reasons was because i reckon the Labour gov will be history by next summer. What the Tories think *is* what is going to matter.. and only two weeks ago:

Local authorities have spent 170 million on consultants in a government scheme to refurbish and rebuild schools in England, the Conservatives say.

They say the 50 billion Building Schools for the Future programme has delivered "hardly any improvements".

The Schools Secretary Ed Balls defended the scheme and accused the Conservatives of planning to make cuts.

My emphasis. The Tories will probably do some things I don't like, but if they set about nuking some of the real bureacrats, quangos and bottomless-pit big IT projects I won't complain.
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 20th September 2009 at 03:47 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast