+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, What backup software to use? in General; Sorry if this doesnt fit in very well in here, but there is no software forum and it doesnt really ...

Thank Post

What backup software to use?

Sorry if this doesnt fit in very well in here, but there is no software forum and it doesnt really fall under anything else

We've been using Backup Exec 9.1 for a few years here and it works fine for disk to disk backups and worked ok with our old tape drive

However over the summer we spent £2k on a Quantum LTO-3 tape drive.

I assumed I could just continue using 9.1, but after weeks of trying with Veritas/Symantecs awful interface and drivers, I cant get it to work.

It came with a limited version of Bacjup Exec 10d which you would imagine would work with the drive....it doesnt, even with all the updates and updated drivers.
    So Im really falling out with Backup Exec at the minute. It finds the drive to install the drivers and detects it as ready. But it NEVER shows in the console.
    Im wondering could it be my SCSI card - Adaptec 19160 - which appears to be a fairly old model?

So what does everyone else use? The only other one I know is Retrospect, and Im not sure what thats like with compatibility

Or if anyone can help me with that specific problem on Backup Exec I would be really grateful.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,472 Posts

Re: What backup software to use?

Your message got filtered by our leas filtering so I couldn't read it but I am currently using just ntbackup on my 2 main fileservers with backupassist installed as well.

Backupassist makes using ntbackup very smooth and it has email reporting of jobs and easy scheduling and rotation schemes built in.

Plus by using ntbackup you can also create yourself an ASR tape and floppy disk set that will enable you to do a bare metal restore rather than paying for expensive software to do this.

Ben

Thank Post

As with plexer said,

NTBackup on 2k3 server is great always work even with out brand new SDLT II (SDLT600) tape drives. Also NT backup is great for backup up exhangei found backupexec would not back up the entire exchange DB if there was a user disabled that had a mailbox.

GAz

Thank Post

we had the same problem some time ago with our tape library and backup exec. In the end I found out it was the windows driver that was the problem. It may be differnet in your case but worth a try.

Thank Post

Are you using the built in windows drivers for the scsi card? Is it 2003 sp1?

I had a problem with backup exec going about 50 times slower with the built in windows certified drivers, worked fine with later drivers from adaptec site.

Thank Post

We use backup Exec 10 and had exactly the same issue , our quantum superloaded just dropped off.

I did this in the end and it worked.

1.Bought an HP Ultrium 960 which takes 8 x 800gig tapes (this made no difference I just thought I would show it off )
    2.Unistalled Veritas.
    3.Uninstalled the tape drive.
    4. removed it from Removable storage manager in windows.
    5.reinstalled Veritas
    6.Worked fine after that.

Now this problem occurred on both the quantum and the HP so I know it was not the hardware, so try my list and see if it solves it for you.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We use an Quantum LTO3 Superloader here with 16 slots same drive as Disease lol I like to show off too

we run Backup Exec 10d. I believe the manual states within the installation guide (yes I know I actually did read it lol) not to allow winodws to install its own drivers but to use symantecs? I think thats right or I could be confused (It's getting easier to confuse me these days). Using a slower scsi card 160UW I believe that model is? Wouldn't effect it be detected it should be backwardly compatible. So I'd say take Disease' advice and uninstall the drives and veritas then install veritas again. I think it should be detected as Certance H3 within veritas (that is if its an LTO3 thing or just a quantum thing)

Wes

Thank Post

Only 16? :P

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You running the fifty slot one then DMcCoy? lol

Wes

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by BKGarry
    As with plexer said,

NTBackup on 2k3 server is great always work even with out brand new SDLT II (SDLT600) tape drives. Also NT backup is great for backup up exhangei found backupexec would not back up the entire exchange DB if there was a user disabled that had a mailbox.

GAz
    Glad to hear you say that.

NTBackup is without a doubt the most foolproof tool for backing up Exchange. I've been working with Exchange since Exchange 4.0, and I've never found a better way of doing it. Lots of ways that people think are better sure. They usually tell me all about them for conversation when I'm doing a consulting job on the side recovering their exchange server from improperly configured backups.

Thank Post

Did as disease said, uninstalled, installed Veritas again, it found the device, installed the drivers and STILL wont appear in Backup Exec.
    Also in removable storage console it appears with a red cross and wont allow me to view or adjust any properties for it, just says it isnt a valid object

Im going to try and see if I can get NTBackup to respond to it with the normal drivers, with no Veritas to get in the way, just to see if the thing actually works at all

Thanks for the advice so far people. I HATE SCSI devices

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,020 Posts
    Blog Entries

I use Retrospect 7.5 on a Tandberg LTO2 Tandberg Storageloader. The proactive backup function means that backups are done on the fly whenever there are quiet periods, all automatically. The Exchange agent is fantastic too.

Thank Post

So why is the retrospect mac version so rubbish?

Thank Post

Sidewinder, which version did you install? I assume that the device is on the list of compatible drives (10d at least).

Try removing the windows driver, stopping removable storage managment and then see if veritas can see it.

Removable storage managment is often disable by other products.

Thank Post

Just tried it with the service stopped, no difference, Veritas still doesnt want to know

On a side note, what I dont understand is when I go through the device wizard in backup exec, it brings up the help sheet with the link to install a device driver at the top, and at the bottom it says about enabling the drive in removable storage

The first step is to click 'physical locations' Now call me stupid, but I cannot see that anywhere in the removable devices snap-in, so instantly the instructions make no sense to me

In the morning Ill do some screenshots just so everyone can see what screens Im getting going through the process

I havent checked whether the drive is compatible yet, I just guessed it was as the software came with the drive

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast