+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Dan Brown - The Lost Symbol in General; First bookshop I went to had sold out, and the 2nd had closed by the time I got to it. ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Dan Brown - The Lost Symbol

First bookshop I went to had sold out, and the 2nd had closed by the time I got to it. Will need to pick it up tomorrow instead.

Read all his other 4, and enjoyed them all.

Been a while since I read a book, I seem to go through stages of reading loads and loads and then not reading for ages.

Thank Post
    Got mine on order - should be here this week.

Thank Post
    I HATE Dan Brown!

When I followed the crowd and read the Davinci Code, I was sorely disappointed.
    I know it's fiction, and badly researched fiction making HUGE leaps of inaccuracys, but people really believed that most of what he said was true, and just weaved a story round it.

Poorly written pseudo-intellectual bull, in my opinion, but I'd best be careful, the last time I did a "book review" (Greetings in Jesus Name), the author signed up to edugeek to complain to me!

Thank Post
    Writing style of a 6 year old...

"...and then the Pope came out on to the roof and then the Pope got in an helicopter, and then there was a big bang...and then a submarine appeared and everybody was OK"

soul-destroyingly bad.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartKnight View Post
    I HATE Dan Brown!

When I followed the crowd and read the Davinci Code, I was sorely disappointed.
    I know it's fiction, and badly researched fiction making HUGE leaps of inaccuracys, but people really believed that most of what he said was true, and just weaved a story round it.

Poorly written pseudo-intellectual bull, in my opinion, but I'd best be careful, the last time I did a "book review" (Greetings in Jesus Name), the author signed up to edugeek to complain to me!
    If you like Dan Brown, then I'm not here to spoil your enjoyment, but - The week in books: Tribulations of a Booker judge; the Dan Brown error count; and literature meets rap | Books | The Guardian if you scroll down to the section on Brown...

As an aside we were in the south of France earlier this year and visited a vineyard for a tour and tasting, part of the tour took us to the vineyard chapel, where the guide pointed out a carved shield set in to the chapel wall saying that it was the shield of the Knights Templar. As the vineyard was called Chateau Sainte-Roseline and my wife is a big Dan Brown fan you can imagine the conversation (one sided) for the next half hour.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,394 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I got the book from Tesco, they made a cock up on the pricing (3.99 when it should be on sale for 7.99 or something) so I took the bargain. Read it cover to cover yesterday, a good book in general, but his best is still Digital Fortress.

Thank Post
    To quote the legendary Stephen Fry on the Davinci Code -

"Complete loose-stool-water. Arse-gravy of the very worst kind."

Thank Post
    im waiting for next years car boot season - should be lots of them on sale

Thank Post
    Ive not read any of his books (they look incredibly boring) but I just dont understand the hype that surrounds some book releases? Im sure a lot of people just go and buy it because its being talked about! Theres countless good books released, why do 1 or 2 get such massive hype?

Also, if I was reading a book on say the train, I'd feel like a bit of a sheep if I looked up and saw 15 other people reading the same thing

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I was indifferent to Dan Brown, right up until I was dragged along to watch Angels and Demons.

The amount of anti-matter in that little tube would have been enough to sterilize half the planet. Probably more. The moon most likely wouldn't have gone untouched either. And since when was anti-matter all glowy and shiny? For that matter, why did a priest have training in flying a helicopter? Why would anyone store anti-matter in a little glass tube which can actually be taken away, and is hooked up to a battery which only lasts 24 hours?

Then I watched the Da Vinci code again, and nearly cried at what he'd done to Da Vinci.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    why did a priest have training in flying a helicopter?
    Because he'd learnt to fly when he was in the forces?

I actually love Dan Browns style of writing. Yes, it may be simple but at least he can talk about seemingly complex things and allow anyone to understand them.

I got my Lost Symbol as soon as it was released. Started reading it last night .........

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Because he'd learnt to fly when he was in the forces?
    Good thing he hadn't got rusty at all, and that he'd flown that particular model.

I actually love Dan Browns style of writing. Yes, it may be simple but at least he can talk about seemingly complex things and allow anyone to understand them.

I got my Lost Symbol as soon as it was released. Started reading it last night .........
    I've no objection to Dan Brown in principle. Its just in practice that I don't like his work.

That and the fact that it gets raved about, while geniuses like Max Frei and George Mann go unremarked.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,630 Posts
    I think the problem is the hype- there are countless other books (and films) in which lots of things happen that couldn't possibly work in reality - but as Dan Brown is rammed down our throats all those inconsistencies get a bit wearing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I think the problem is the hype- there are countless other books (and films) in which lots of things happen that couldn't possibly work in reality - but as Dan Brown is rammed down our throats all those inconsistencies get a bit wearing.
    I think the reason it's hyped up is because a lot of people like Dan Brown. If people didn't like him then there wouldn't be all this hype would there?

I'm not saying his books are perfect and that everything is possible, or even that they match up, but I do believe (in my opinion) he makes for a good read.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post

Also, if I was reading a book on say the train, I'd feel like a bit of a sheep if I looked up and saw 15 other people reading the same thing
    I guess this is another plus for an eBook reader.

Sony EBook Reader: On the train nobody knows you are reading Dan Brown.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast