+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Dan Brown - The Lost Symbol in General; Originally Posted by witch I think the problem is the hype- there are countless other books (and films) in which ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I think the problem is the hype- there are countless other books (and films) in which lots of things happen that couldn't possibly work in reality - but as Dan Brown is rammed down our throats all those inconsistencies get a bit wearing.
    For me I guess its not really that, I was working in a bookshop when the Harry Potter craze hit and came across the same problem. People would come in and ask for Harry Potter, which is a good thing no matter what you think of the books, at least people are reading.

But at the same time the Abhorsen series by Garth Nix was coming out, along with the Edgewood Chronicles, the Darren Shan books, Goodknyght series, and many others. These were pretty much crushed by the ridiculous hype that surrounded Harry Potter, so people bought Harry Potter, read it, and didn't even pause to think that there might be other books they could sit and read rather than just going back to relying on the television.

I'd much rather the publicity for these 'blockbuster' books were parcelled out a little more, preferably to books with a little intelligence, but Hollywood publishing seems to be the big thing these days so I can't see it happening.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,303 Times in 1,620 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    I think the reason it's hyped up is because a lot of people like Dan Brown. If people didn't like him then there wouldn't be all this hype would there?
    People do like him and he is a reasonably good read but the hype is there because, primarily, someone took a risk and made the Da Vinci Code film, which was at least a bit different, and then paid lots of money for publicity. This then extended to Dan Brown's other books - even the earlier ones, and now it has spiralled into a big hype.
    The hype came first. Then people read the books.
    It is a matter of luck whether a book gets taken up by someone who thinks that they are worth publicising and indeed has the money to do so. There are many many authors out there who are absolutely brilliant but are never really 'out there'.
    As for Harry Potter - again a reasonable read, but I think that many bits are a close imitation of other books - eg 'The Worst Witch' and I never really understood what all the hype was about - again, someone wanted to throw money at it and it worked.
    Getting people reading though, especially children, that's a wonderful thing. I think that some children (and adults) go on to read other things - schools helped there - my children were pointed towards the Philip Pullman books and have never looked back!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    For me I guess its not really that, I was working in a bookshop when the Harry Potter craze hit and came across the same problem. People would come in and ask for Harry Potter, which is a good thing no matter what you think of the books, at least people are reading.

But at the same time the Abhorsen series by Garth Nix was coming out, along with the Edgewood Chronicles, the Darren Shan books, Goodknyght series, and many others. These were pretty much crushed by the ridiculous hype that surrounded Harry Potter, so people bought Harry Potter, read it, and didn't even pause to think that there might be other books they could sit and read rather than just going back to relying on the television.

I'd much rather the publicity for these 'blockbuster' books were parcelled out a little more, preferably to books with a little intelligence, but Hollywood publishing seems to be the big thing these days so I can't see it happening.
    Yeah thats kind of how I feel. Its good that anyone reads any books, because its bloody rare these days, but so many people would list Harry Potter as their favourite book simply because they've barely read anything else since they left school.
    I cant criticise too much, I only manage 2/3 books a year (yet I buy like 4 times that many...stupid) but I like reading in general..couldnt just read one author and then not bother with anything else

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    People do like him and he is a reasonably good read but the hype is there because, primarily, someone took a risk and made the Da Vinci Code film, which was at least a bit different, and then paid lots of money for publicity. This then extended to Dan Brown's other books - even the earlier ones, and now it has spiralled into a big hype.
    The hype came first. Then people read the books.
    It is a matter of luck whether a book gets taken up by someone who thinks that they are worth publicising and indeed has the money to do so. There are many many authors out there who are absolutely brilliant but are never really 'out there'.
    As for Harry Potter - again a reasonable read, but I think that many bits are a close imitation of other books - eg 'The Worst Witch' and I never really understood what all the hype was about - again, someone wanted to throw money at it and it worked.
    Getting people reading though, especially children, that's a wonderful thing. I think that some children (and adults) go on to read other things - schools helped there - my children were pointed towards the Philip Pullman books and have never looked back!
    I came across Dan Brown before the hype, and read his books because I like them - not because someone said I should like him. However, I do understand what you are saying about the 'following' he has and that's fair kop - I'm just not one of those people

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    I cant criticise too much, I only manage 2/3 books a year (yet I buy like 4 times that many...stupid) but I like reading in general..couldnt just read one author and then not bother with anything else
    I read too much - its why I ended up buying an e-reader as I literally have no more space for books or bookshelves in my house. On average I probably get through four or five in a busy week, more if I'm not doing much else.

Travelling's the worst. Having to take a dozen books for a week's holiday really uses up your weight allowance fast.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,303 Times in 1,620 Posts
    I read too much - its why I ended up buying an e-reader as I literally have no more space for books or bookshelves in my house. On average I probably get through four or five in a busy week, more if I'm not doing much else.Travelling's the worst. Having to take a dozen books for a week's holiday really uses up your weight allowance fast.
    Yes, me too, and mrwITch is the same...we deliberately don't buy books because if we did we would have no room for furniture. We get books out of the library - libraries are a great and underused resource.
    As for holidays - I get books from charity shops and car boot sales so that I can leave them behind, and I do find myself picking books because they light - in weight, not content!!

Thank Post
    Travelling's the worst. Having to take a dozen books for a week's holiday really uses up your weight allowance fast.
    a dozen for a week?! Do you take your head out of the book to see where you actually are?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    a dozen for a week?! Do you take your head out of the book to see where you actually are?
    I read fast when I have nothing else to do - generally I can get through two on the plane if its a long flight. Even on a short flight I'll usually finish off one.

Thank Post
    See, I'm a very slow reader - I like to imagine the story, not just blitz through it, which can often mean reading the same paragraph 2 or 3 times until I get it right in my head.

We always go to the same place on holiday though, and they have a book swap shop. Basically take one book, read it, swap it for a new one as many times as you need throughout the course of the holiday, and go home with whatever book you have - leaving the one you took initially for someone else to read.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't jump on any of these band wagons because I don't read

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Got to admit - the only books I read (apart from all the Dan Brown one's) are computing books - sad I know

Thank Post
    computing books on holiday?? hardly getting away from it all is it!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    Don't or can't.....
    There's any oxymoron in there somewhere...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Don't or can't.....
    There's any oxymoron in there somewhere...
    Er, don't

I read a couple of IT-related magazines and that's about it. When I was a kid I used to read all sorts of books but gradually stopped.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Er, don't

I read a couple of IT-related magazines and that's about it. When I was a kid I used to read all sorts of books but gradually stopped.
    Razzle & Knave ?
    Oh sorry, you said IT mags - for some reason I saw an extra 'T' somewhere....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast