+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Commute in General; ...

Thank Post

Commute

I've been asked if I would be interested in a job which is payed about £10k more than I'm on now. All good, but the problem, if it is one, that its an extra 30 miles commute and its london bound on the m4. At the moment it takes me 20mins to get to work and is only 15 miles. Is the extra money worth it?

Decisions decisions...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,257 Times in 1,662 Posts
    Only you can make that decision. Commuting is a pain - I suggest you try the drive one morning at rush hour.

If the job is something you really want to do, it will override the commuting concerns... if not then it won't matter how far you want to drive - don't take it

Thank Post
    Its the same job in a different school in a different town.

Thank Post
    Get yourself a motorbike licence!

I commute 40 miles each way and it takes me about 45 - 50 mins on the bike each way. You should definitely consider it - although it does have its drawbacks in the winter!

Thank Post
    You need to work out how much more petrol, tyres your going to use on your car as this will reduce the £10k extra considerably and possibly only make it a few £k more and possibly not worth the extra hassle of the extra driving every morning and eve!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,257 Times in 1,662 Posts
    Same job... if there's really no difference, I'd leave it unless you are urgently after a change of scenery.

My other half has to negotiate the Clacket Lane - Reigate section of the M25 daily and he hates it. Journey time anything from 40 minutes to 3 hours.

If you do take up the job, familiarise yourself with the Traffic England website and buy a satnav to get you round the problems

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,943 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Extra distance travelled also means more time travelling, meaning getting up and leaving earlier and getting home later - so less home life. Is that worth the extra £10k?

Thank Post
    10k is a lot! :O

Thank Post
    I think the question here, or at least it would be a question for me, would be "is it worth moving house for?"

I wouldn't like commuting all that extra distance, and I'm sure after 6 months in the job no-one would, so would you consider moving closer to the school to take the job?

Thank Post
    If you look at it from a career viewpoint, the extra £10k 'earning' power you will gain on your CV may help you in establishing your credentials next time you go looking for a job..... The assumption tends to be the more you get paid, the more you are worth

Thank Post
    If someone offered me 10k more I would absolutely bite their arm off.
    You are probably looking at 600/700 quid a month extra! Which more then covers the commuting costs and as the above post states, once you get your foot in the door, the worlds your oyster!

Thank Post
    I've recently made the switch from a job that offered me the ability to walk to work to having to go into London via the tube.

Suffice to say come pay day I will be ten times happier than I was at my old job

Thank Post
    I like commuting. Just depends on your point of view.

I would ideally like to be one of those people that hopes on a train in Bristol/Bath in the morning, gets into London, and gets the train back.

That would be my ideal situation Laptop on the train (as GWR now have power sockets inbetween seats) and sorted!

I can defiantly see you being quids up with £10,000 pay rise, even if it costs you an extra £100 in fuel a month.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,716 Posts
    If the job offers more scope for advancement, or maybe the chance to work on a different system, then I would think seriously about it. As has been said, do the commute at a time when you would be doing it to find out how long it would take you.
    With a £10k rise, you will be in profit by a long way, even taking into account the commuting costs. Is your car reliable?
    It all depends how long it take: mrwITch commutes 75 miles each way up the M3 every day and it takes between 1.5hrs (at 6am) and 3hrs (on a Friday night). For him, he has to do it as there are no jobs around here

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 1,134 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hmm personally I don't mind commuting. My old job was just over an hour each way (on a good day) and I quite liked the time to listen to the radio or just spend some time thinking (don't usually have much time where I have nothing I could be doing so the peace was nice).

10k is a lot of money but then its not all about money. If I was happy and contented I was have a hard think about what is important to me at the time, but if I was feeling ready for a move I would snap their hands off.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast