+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Any One Recommend This ISP For Home Use ?. in General; Hi All. I'm at last thinking of going on to broadband at home, I live in the 'sticks' about 4kl ...
    Thank Post

Any One Recommend This ISP For Home Use ?.

Hi All.

I'm at last thinking of going on to broadband at home, I live in the 'sticks' about 4kl from the local exchange, with my dial-up as low as 9kbs sometimes ! but normally about 45.2kbs.
    The BT phone line check says I will get 2mbs, but it said that for the school and we have just gone on to BT Broadband and that is from 3.5 to 4.mbs speed, so I only live 150mts from the school so I should get about the same.

I been told by someone who lives about 1kl from the same exchange and he uses 'Tiscali' which includes All local and national phone calls free, unlimited downloads up to 2mbs in speed at £19.99 mth.

Has any one got any experience of this firm ?.

Also any idea what this means in the conditions ?.

Telecommunications plc ('BT') phone lines by routing your phone calls to our network at your local BT telephone exchange ('Carrier Pre-Selection' or 'CPS'). By using CPS, all calls (except calls to emergency numbers, operator assistance, directory enquiries and flat-rate internet dial-up numbers) will be routed to us automatically. Free Weekend Talk is only available with CPS.
    If you do not want to use CPS and would rather use the services by dialling the code and number, you must tell us on your application form.

From Michael.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Any One Recommend This ISP For Home Use ?.

adsl guide is a good reference Michael: http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

Especially thier comparison charts - always worth a look: http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/compare.asp

Personally i'm no fan of the big boys. Teachnical support/ the means of getting in touch seems to be a low priority in my experience and can be more than a nightmare should you have any problems. Of course you will hear conflicting views on this.

Thank Post

I have a mate who has become less impressed with Tiscalli recently. I'd follow Mar's advice and check out adslguide. Personally, I use Eclipse and find them very good... they will also give you a static IP if you ask.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

Freedom2Surf for me, and you get a static IP for free.

Thank Post

Carrier Pre-Selection is where the phone calls automatically go through the Tiscalli (in this case) phone network, as opposed to the BT network.

All that statement is telling you is, if you want free calls from Tiscalli at the weekend, the calls will be made using tiscalli network. If you don't want this feature, then tell them.

Essentially, you shouldn't notice any difference!

Thank Post

***Warning, Long Post. But well worth the read if you are thinking of having Tiscali as your ISP. Get a cup of tea and read on....***

I am with Tiscali - but probably not for long. We have the call package at 19.99. It is great when it is working, but often times it stops working or goes very slow. Then you run into problems. Namely, Indian Call centre for Technical Support.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that you can't understand them, or they can't understand you. It's just that they are reading from a script, and I have come across very few that know anything at all other than whats on paper in front of them. Yes, I have called them that many times!!!

Here's my latest episode with them just to give you a taster:

August 22nd. My connection stops working. I ring up TS (Tech support)

They tell me some upgrades are being performed at the BT exchange. Call back if it's not working in the morning.

Not working in the morning. I call back after work thinking I'll give them a little more time. When I call back, they start to ask me questions about conditions at my end ie. Have you tried the USB modem (I use a belkin router). Have you tried a different ADSL splitter? Have you tried restarting your router? Do you have any malware? Can you ping your router. Etc Etc.

Of course none of this worked. Because it was their problem. Then I have a look on my BT account to see if I can spot if anything had been perfomred on my telephone line. Sure enough, two orders placed on the line on August 2nd, one for an ADSL Cease, and one to put the line on an LLU connection. In other words, Tiscali had put me on LLU without informing me.

10 days later, numerous calls, and two threats to Tiscali Cancellation line, and my router mysteriously connects itself back onto tiscali. GREAT!

Not so great. The connection was ephatically slow. Slower than 256k. Slower than 56k, it seemed. A speed test showed I was actually getting on average 50-100k. My router was connecting at 2meg but I certainly wasn't browsing at 2meg.

Ringing TS gave no results. Just the same old "Have you got any malware on your PC" routine. They kept telling me they could see I was connecting at 2meg so from their viewpoint everything was fine. It was certinaly not fine.

Last friday I rang up the cancellations line (this is in England) and asked to cancell. They said the problem had been logged with an engineer on 2nd September so they must still be looking into it. They would get someone to ring me back within 24 hours. What had they been doing for the last 13 days??? I agreed to give them one more chance in the knowlegde that you can't get a MAC code when your connection is LLU because few ISPs support them - which means it would be a month or so before I could get a new connection with a different ISP.

Saturday morning, and I fire up the laptop in Bed. Woah. The pages where loading up - FAST. I logged into router and it was connecting at 6meg!!!!! 'Yes' I thought, 'they must have sorted it out and put me on 8meg as a nice gesture!'

Lunch time came, run IE again - back to same old 56k sluggish connection. Even though my router was still connecting at 6meg.

So here we are, Monday morning, still a virtually unusable connection, and I'm almost ready to cancell, no chances, no excuses.

I am not an only case. Look at the Tiscali forums. They are packed with different people all over the country having problems (which you expect with any ISP) but getting no support or resolution to their problems. They are reverting to a few english Tiscali engineers who pick up support requests through the forums but even this is slow.

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=215

The conclusion of the matter being, don't go with Tiscali, Talk Talk, Pipex or any of these ISPs that offer cheap deals or 'Free Broadband' with calls attached. They rack up customers offering them Everything for next to Nothing. Then theie networks can't cope with the demand and everyone suffers. It's the same old story: You get what you pay for. I will probably be going with Freedom2Surf since my PFY is with them and he says he's had no problems.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by StewartKnight
    Carrier Pre-Selection is where the phone calls automatically go through the Tiscalli (in this case) phone network, as opposed to the BT network.

All that statement is telling you is, if you want free calls from Tiscalli at the weekend, the calls will be made using tiscalli network. If you don't want this feature, then tell them.

Essentially, you shouldn't notice any difference!
    Just to add to that, what Tiscali are saying is that if you want all calls to be routed automatically, that's what CPS will do for you. If you don't but still want to have the service, you can dial a code manually before the phone number to route it to Tiscali.

Thank Post

Just to play devils advocate I am with Tiscali and apart from not telling us that they upgraded their packages but left everyone on more epxensive slower connections, I've not had a problem

Possibly what the problem is with your line is that they have upgrade it ADSL MAX (or plus or something). Apparently once you have upgraded there is a 10 day period of speed fluctuation while the gubbins at the exchange works out the best speed. So it will be flaky and they should tell you this, but if the Indian call center doesn't have this on their script they won't know about it. It should settle down to a respectable speed up to 8 meg. Fingers crossed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john
    Freedom2Surf for me, and you get a static IP for free.
    One thing to remember though is F2S did not give me my MAC code when I phoned up (it was about 1 year 6 months ago though) to transfer to eclipse. They said they did not support it which was a big pain in the rear. I am and have been with eclipse eversince without any problems at all, and I connect at 8mb and get *sometimes* 800k+ a sec'ish but its usually 500-670k from microsoft.
    My mate used to be on tiscali dial-up and it was that bad he could not connect for 3 weeks and they offered no refund as they said it was not there fault. That scare story has kept me miles away for piscali as they are known now for there service

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey
    Just to play devils advocate I am with Tiscali and apart from not telling us that they upgraded their packages but left everyone on more epxensive slower connections, I've not had a problem

Possibly what the problem is with your line is that they have upgrade it ADSL MAX (or plus or something). Apparently once you have upgraded there is a 10 day period of speed fluctuation while the gubbins at the exchange works out the best speed. So it will be flaky and they should tell you this, but if the Indian call center doesn't have this on their script they won't know about it. It should settle down to a respectable speed up to 8 meg. Fingers crossed.
    I know about the 10 day period of speed fluctuation and I sincerely wished you were right, but you would expect to get speeds greater than 50-100k and you would expect to be able to load a web page in less than 30 secs. This problem isn't about getting the line speed right, it is performing exactly the same on 8mb as it was on 2mb (and on 1mb which they initially put me on when they changed me over to the dark side (LLU) and forgot I should be on2mg).

Thank Post

Well thanks all of you who have taken the time to answer, It's a real mine field out there with all the different ISP's..
    Thanks for the links, some more useful one's > http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/caps.htm

> http://www.broadband-help.com/tools/...t/default.aspx

> http://www.ukoffer.com/broadband.php...FR95MAodIGziOA

> http://www.btsuck.org/?article=172

I may go with BT Business >http://www.btbroadbandoffice.com/broadband/lite
    But then again talking to my neighbour they have BT home and get lots of trouble with it, so it seem's pot luck if you get a good connection, our local exchange was upgraded to ADSL Max in march 06.

Three things what is LLU , MAC code,why is it a good idea to have a static IP for you broadband ?.

If anyone's got a spare stand a-loan ADSL Modem with LAN-output (Not USB) can you PM me I may be interested .

From Michael.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tickmike
    If anyone's got a spare stand a-loan ADSL Modem with LAN-output (Not USB) can you PM me I may be interested .
    You will be lucky with that as they are like finding gold with a metal detector

LLU is generally a BAD thing so far. Most ISP's dont have a clue and its a pretty major change (phone calls change too) so still to BT MAX
    Its reliable and yeh it does take 10 days to active MAX but not ADSL. its 10 days of normal ADSL usage (although best to put alot of large downloads on for the days as the rumour is that it actually helps get a more accurate reading)
    I have had MAX from 2MB and the upgrade was a breeze and relatively stable (although I connect @ 8mb after the 10 days there was initially a launch of MAX, bug which meant the 2MB download speed applied even though you were connecting at 8mb but thats fixed now).
    Eclipse have been good to me though

Thank Post

Sorry, I tried to reply to your post last night, but I couldn't get enough connection out of tiscali to send it!!!! Yes, I'm still having problems. Anyway, here goes........

Another one to add to your list: http://www.dslzoneuk.net

Quote Originally Posted by tickmike
    Three things what is LLU , MAC code,why is it a good idea to have a static IP for you broadband ?.
    LLU=Local Loop Unbundling. It is where an ISP take control of their own equipment at the BT exchange. Of course, this means they have to have competent staff in place not just to transfer everyone, but to problem solve when things go wrong.

MAC=Migration Authorisation Code. It's what you get off your current ISP and give to your new ISP when you want to change. It enables them to avoid you loosing your connection at the switchover. Currently only accepted with ADSL connections. You can get an LLU MAC code but they are supported by very few ISPs.

As regards a static IP address, you only realy need one of those if you plan to have a server or something accessible from the internet which needs a constant IP address. If you don't have a static IP, your ISP will give you an IP through DHCP and this could change anytime especially if your router disconnects and reconnects again.

Hope this helps.

Thank Post

and further to Woodies comments, it is possible to host a website with a dynamically assigned IP address!

Thank Post

Hi.
    Thanks for explaining those detail, I like to listen to some music and look at video streaming ='Nasa TV' space station etc. http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html
    Do you think I should keep away from any ISP's that do not have unlimited download ?.
    Michael.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast