+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Prosecution of Alan Turing Petition in General; Originally Posted by FN-GM I was told that when apple computers introduced the apple logo with the bite in it ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    I was told that when apple computers introduced the apple logo with the bite in it was a tribute to Turing. Not sure if its true.
    I think you will find it's got something to do with Job's love of the Beatles......God knows why, the Stones were much better then.

2. Thanks to mattx from:

ButterflyMoon (7th September 2009)

Thank Post
    The designer said he put the bite into the logo so that the image would be scaleable without ending up looking like a cherry.

Tom

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    I was told that when apple computers introduced the apple logo with the bite in it was a tribute to Turing. Not sure if its true.
    When the pressure became too much for Turing it was said, though this may be apocryphal, he injected an apple with cyanide and took a bite out of it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Good job history has made the world we live in today a much better place to live, a more accepting place.
    Not sure if an apology is needed because those were the times back then, we moan about laws today which might not neccesarily be around in 50 years but we still abide by them?

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 935 Posts
    Well done that PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Well done that PM.

that is a first for Gordon isn't it? him doing something right!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tobyglenn View Post
    that is a first for Gordon isn't it? him doing something right!
    How is it doing something right? The guy is dead. He won't benefit from the apology. He could apologise to the families of the dead soldiers in Afghanistan instead,

Edit: Not having a rant at you tobyglenn. I just fail to see the point in apologising for something you were not responsible for.
    Last edited by AyatollahPies; 11th September 2009 at 03:20 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    i would like him to do that aswell, my cousin has been out there and lost friends in iraq, but it is right that he has apologised for the wrong doing that was shown to alan turing.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    oops....didnt read above...
    Last edited by Little-Miss; 11th September 2009 at 09:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobyglenn View Post
    i would like him to do that aswell, my cousin has been out there and lost friends in iraq, but it is right that he has apologised for the wrong doing that was shown to alan turing.
    I think this is genuinely difficult. Whether there's any point in an apology for what happened to Turing is debatable but certainly the government of the day behaved badly in the way homosexuals were treated so something was definitely wrong.

Should a government apologise for the fact that soldiers die during a war? Not really sure. I think most people would agree that there is risk from the Taliban and Al Qaida in Afghanistan (and Pakistan). If that's the case then it's probably right for an army to be there and, sadly, soldiers get killed when you're fighting a war.

Iraq's a bit different; many people think that we should never have sent armies there but our government disagrees (and it's worth remembering that the Conservatives basically also supported this). If it was right for our army to be there then I think it's actually wrong to apologise for the fact that soldiers get killed - that's just what happens in war time.

Of course, you can argue that the soldiers need better defensive equipment and that's probably true but in reality even if they had vehicles with better armour it would just meant that the bad guys use bigger roadside bombs and people would still die.

Thank Post
    If that's the case then it's probably right for an army to be there
    The public are apparently against you: There was some poll published only a couple of days ago and only 1/4 were for the deployment, more than 1/2 were against (the rest were undecided, confused etc.).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    I think this is genuinely difficult. Whether there's any point in an apology for what happened to Turing is debatable but certainly the government of the day behaved badly in the way homosexuals were treated so something was definitely wrong.

Should a government apologise for the fact that soldiers die during a war? Not really sure. I think most people would agree that there is risk from the Taliban and Al Qaida in Afghanistan (and Pakistan). If that's the case then it's probably right for an army to be there and, sadly, soldiers get killed when you're fighting a war.

Iraq's a bit different; many people think that we should never have sent armies there but our government disagrees (and it's worth remembering that the Conservatives basically also supported this). If it was right for our army to be there then I think it's actually wrong to apologise for the fact that soldiers get killed - that's just what happens in war time.

Of course, you can argue that the soldiers need better defensive equipment and that's probably true but in reality even if they had vehicles with better armour it would just meant that the bad guys use bigger roadside bombs and people would still die.
    I'm not sure we can blame the government for how he was treated, homosexuality was not publically acceptable in that era, blaming the government for it seems like a cop-out to me.

Same with Afghanistan really, its easy to blame the politico's and Gordon Brown is torn to pieces over his conduct but the great british public voted these people into office.

Any politician who sends soldiers into a war should have to justify themselves in my opinion, preferable in public to the relatives of the deceased.
    Last edited by IT_Guy; 12th September 2009 at 12:11 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IT_Guy View Post

Same with Afghanistan really, its easy to blame the politico's and Gordon Brown is torn to pieces over his conduct but the great british public voted these people into office.

Any politician who sends soldiers into a war should have to justify themselves in my opinion, preferable in public to the relatives of the deceased.
    don't blame the policy makers who also vote on issues such as going to war ? are you sure about that ?

Sadly the country can't vote in politicians on each and every specific issue, the public make themselves heard if there is widespread protest about issues being debated - i think this is what harriet harmison reffered to as the 'court of public opinion'.

Even then, this opinion is sometimes led by msm opinion/misinformation. How much does the 'consensus' really understand about bank bailouts or the lisbon treaty beyond newspaper headlines,
    to be able to make an informed decision ?

That's why the govt. are paid to do, it's why they pay advisers and researchers, to make informed decisions. or not. LOL. Unfortunately the govt. seem to be more swayed by 'special relationships' with foreign superpowers, industry vested interests and the opinion pieces of influential newspapers.

I don't like the idea at all that voters have to put up or shut up when there really isn't much of a meaningful choice in how to vote, or when to reappoint. Voters have to wait up to five years plus put up with a prime minister who'll delay going to the polls to the last possible moment.

All the GBP are programmed to do is vote in one of two main political party choices who can barely differentiate from each once they actually get in to power. It used to be the case that the differences were far more apparent, but the days of left-vs-right, nationalisation vs privatisation divides are long gone. Today it's all just slightly different shades of neo-liberalism.

Or voters can display total apathy and not vote, in which case those that do will vote in one of the two neoliberal options who will be hamstrung anyway by the previous administrations policies for the first four years of office atleast. some choice that is!!! Ha!

Remind me again why i can't blame the PM and the govt. for decisions they make ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast