+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Who's working this Bank Holiday? in General; It's only a bank holiday in some areas! Though I'm currently in an area where it's today, the chances of ...

Thank Post
    It's only a bank holiday in some areas!

Though I'm currently in an area where it's today, the chances of the school paying for extra hours on a bank holiday at enhanced rates are practically nil!

Thank Post
    Considering both me and one of my techs were in Saturday and Sunday this week, I think we deserve today off.

I think we managed to catch up enough so that our new Business and Enterprise area is going to be finished on time, although only just - we've still got 40 PCs to put out and wire up as well as some AV work still to do and the whole place still looks like a bomb site!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Working from home, but only because I've had a blazing argument with my family (still live at home its cheaper that way than to rent local) that I never do anything for them and its all work work work and others, they don't seem to understand my job means a lot to me as does having everything ready for the start of term which is scarily too soon!! (my mum is a teacher as well of all things! You would hope she would understand, and I haven't do anything really for any of my friends and relatives all summer! That's how much work I have on at work!)

I need to be 98% ready for Thursday as teachers have INSET and will want to print, email, internet, access files, folders etc etc all of which are not possible at present, and I need a room wtih 10 machines in for teaching INSET on Thursday as well!!! AAARGH!!!!!

So I am working remotely as much as I can whilst diagnosing a faulty sisters laptop which needs a new HDD AGAIN, she will have to have my old laptops HDD for now as its 2 weeks turn around for WD to send me hers back, and then swap it again at Christmas when she returns from Uni.

To say I work in IT my family think I'm going to send my sister off back to Uni with no computer, I've got 3 working laptops here around me if hers wasn't working I would send her back with one of them FFS!!!

Oh and to cap it all off, came home the other day to find a Sky+ box thrown in my chair and then told we wanted this so paid stupid money from eBay for it and thought you could fit it! Fine I said except I need to run more cables, new quad LNB........ and it was oh didn't know that, it won't take you long as we need it. Hold on a minute your giving me MORE work when you know I'm strugglign to keep up with my own now I just cannot win! Plus I have done a CPC order so now have to do ANOTHER to get a role of Coax and a new LNB, Self Amalg tape and then a new drill bit to go through our house walls as the one I've got is now fairly blunt! When did they expect me to fit all that in! (If they want that fitting, then I will be stuffing through a load more Sky feeds and then I can have a nice FreeSat PVR or something though )

Anyway Rant over Thanks all
    Last edited by john; 31st August 2009 at 05:05 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_git View Post
    It's only a bank holiday in some areas!

Though I'm currently in an area where it's today, the chances of the school paying for extra hours on a bank holiday at enhanced rates are practically nil!
    Who said anything about getting paid??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Who said anything about getting paid??
    I used to take (presumably) the same attitude as you - last summer I was doing 9 hour days at school then coming home and doing another 2 hours of paperwork, email-writing, planning and machine rebuilding from home. The planned days off I had went out the window entirely and the two I did have I ended up doing some work from home on anyway.

And yet there were still things not finished until October, teachers whining, and the head when describing all the building works didn't have one word of thanks for us. And they still owe me overtime...

Thank Post
    Ended up working till midnight last monday and 23:00 on tuesday with my wife getting everything back the way it should be to avoid having to work the weekend/bank hol... I'm more or less ready for the kids to come back on thurs now really wish I could have had more than 1 week off during the summer though - gonna make up for it by taking every friday until half term off though

Thank Post
    The most I'll be doing today is writing a to-do list for the next few weeks. It's going to be good fun.

Thank Post
    I was going to say that I'm not working - but then realised that the spreadsheet currently being created is for school! Still I haven't done anything school related over the weekend, which kind of compensates.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    No, not today.....but im sure i'll find something work related to do later.

Oooh, Grumble....wanna share some of this software with us primary schoolers
    Blog post going up later this week. I am trying to make sure it is stuff that I can clearly point the teachers to resources and lesson plans, or teachers in other schools who are *really* good at pushing the limits of what the kids can do with the software.

10. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

Little-Miss (31st August 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sweet!

Im currently studying the foundation Stage ELG's to see what i can do to fit some ICT into it as i had a teacher telling me she had no guidance of what they should be able to do at this stage.

The obvious things are being able to log on an off, and draw something in a simple paint package, but im looking for some other stuff to pad the year out a bit and ready them for year 1..

Thank Post
    Like all of you, I can see a few late nights/early starts coming in order to get all the summer work finished!

Thank Post
    Not working today as I think the next couple of weeks will be busy enough with open evening and awards evening both early on this term.

We did pretty much all we needed to in the hols (we are all term time only + 4 weeks so don't get that many holiday working days in) so I sent the team home at mid-day on Friday. Hopefully it will mean we've all had a restful long weekend and will come back refreshed for the new term tomorrow.

I had a lovely afternoon at the pics watching Inglourious Basterds - top film and highly recommended!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Sweet!

Im currently studying the foundation Stage ELG's to see what i can do to fit some ICT into it as i had a teacher telling me she had no guidance of what they should be able to do at this stage.

The obvious things are being able to log on an off, and draw something in a simple paint package, but im looking for some other stuff to pad the year out a bit and ready them for year 1..
    I can associate with that. My wife is a KS2 teacher and Head of Infants. There is no ICT direction in the Welsh Foundation Stage orders either.

GJE

15. Thanks to garethedmondson from:

Little-Miss (31st August 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Have to admit that I have not been into school at all. Results were delivered to me via email. GCSE results were crap this year for me. I'm not a happy HoD and will take it all as my fault (much to missues annoyance). I work in a school where the negative is everything and the positive is nothing. (That makes sense to me).

A Levels were great as were AS. Year 9 also passed their Level 2 Key Skills - so I'm happy. Just not sure what has gone wrong with the GCSE cohort in ICT.

I've been working in the caravan this past week on schemes of work, Moodle ICT courses for Year 7 and 8. I've also been doing an essay for my OU degree which for some reason I felt I had to do just to justify my job to other people LOL. Still I am enjoying the course - which is something. Neither am I paying for it.

Deputy Head just phoned me to ask if I was ready for tomorrow - lucky I was. But he changes the running order.

I'm in a stinking mood because I have to go back tomorrow and I don't believe the sun has shone once since July 23rd. I offer those who have been in work over the summer hols my total respect - I wish you were working with/for me.

I'm listening to the same song over and over for some reason. Ryan Star - Brand New Day from Lie to Me on Sky One.

Sorry everyone - just winging.

GJE

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    On the bright side - my wife just cooked me a Tesco Meal for 2 for 9 which was great. I'm in a lot better mood now as this bottle of Rose goes down. :-)

Those meals for 2 in Tesco are great. We had Lasagne, Chunky Chips a desert and a 5.99 bottle of wine - all for 9. You cannot eat out for that around here.

I notice M&S doing some curry deal for 6 today in Llanelli - great deals.

GJE

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast