+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Why do fatailties on the railway cause such problems? in General; On Friday when traveling home on a train that passes through Balham I was told that there were no trains ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Why do fatailties on the railway cause such problems?

On Friday when traveling home on a train that passes through Balham I was told that there were no trains running to Clapham junction. This was due to fatality at Balham. I am very cross that a poor level of information was provided they did not even know when service would resume!! Also it always takes forever to pick the bit up why?? Balham has only two lines I could jump on!! So why could they not use the other 3 I don't know!! There should be a special BTP team that can clear every thing up quickly wilsed getting all the evidence. Some woman look at me funny when I was complain on the phone well it is irritating getting continue delays on your line even if it was suicide.

Then when I got to Waterloo via London Bridge I was told southern ticks were not being accepted as of 16.30 it was now 16.40.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I got some funny looks in the pub when I suggested the police should have used a marksman to take that guy out on the bridge over the M5 - some people were stuck in non-moving traffic for over five hours. Suicide or not, some people are bloody selfish and inconsiderate.

Thank Post
    ahhhh, someone that didnt consider the moany whinging commuters before they stepped out infront of a train and made you half hour late, you poor poor thing.

You should be proud people take the time to clear up other people bodies, even inconsiderate ones, maybe it'll be someone you know oneday. Maybe it wont be suicide either and everyone will be moaning about how inconsiderate they are for making them a little bit late.

4. Thanks to Theblacksheep from:

localzuk (30th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How b****y selfish are you people?! Someone died! Oh no, you got held up for a few hours, its not the end of the freaking world. Get some perspective!

I've been held up for 5 hours due to people committing suicide on the line. I didn't whinge, I didn't moan. I just sat down and waited, calling the people I was due to meet with.

Think about the poor driver of the train also - the distress he's going to be in. Think about the people who are now going to have to pick up all the pieces (there will be a lot of them). The people who have to clean up. The family of that person who died. The friends. The police officers who will have to do the job of telling them.

I don't find it annoying, I find it sad. And I find anyone who complains about it to be worthy of disdain by anyone who wants to put it there way.

6. 7 Thanks to localzuk:

ButterflyMoon (31st August 2009), GrumbleDook (30th August 2009), meastaugh1 (30th August 2009), robk (31st August 2009), srochford (31st August 2009), Sylv3r (30th August 2009), _Bat_ (30th August 2009)

Thank Post
    I believe that if there's a fatality on the road then it is considered a crime scene which means a lot of investigation. This is why the road is closed for so long. I guess the same holds for accidents on the railway.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    5 hours that awful they should have found a way to get you round the incident. I wonder if a suicide delay has caused any one to commit suicide? It the attitude of the railway staff no trains does not matter does it!! They did not have a clue how long it would take! I would like to know if they closed the Brighton of Gatwick express line which also goes through Balham I just have this feeling we were treated differently to these lines!!

I do feel for the drive he was just getting on with his job ready for the bank holiday and smash in front of his train.

I think stations with fast trains should have doors on the platform. Surbiton station has so mamy it is a joke.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Some people who commit suicide are selfish. Imagine the trauma of the train driver / lorry driver whose path they step out in to?

When I was at school, the father of a classmate was a train driver who had someone jump off the platform under his train. He was off work for nearly a year and suffered ptsd for many years afterwards. He never went back to driving trains.

When I was a teenager I found a body in the local river of someone who had drowned themself, and I had a good few nightmares for several years afterwards. A sister-in-law had a similar experience as a child when she came across someone in a wood who had tried to kill themself by taking a drug overdose.

It's different for trained emergency service personnel 'who have to pick up the pieces' but in many many cases it's members of the public who witness the act or are first on the scene.

We had a suicide on our local bypass last year where a chap stepped out from a layby in to the path of an oncoming lorry travelling at 70mph. I passed the scene as ambulance staff 'were picking up the pieces' - one of them was vomiting in the bushes, along with several members of the public. I saw the lorry driver and he was totally distraught. A week later the same thing happened on the same bypass.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Some people who commit suicide are selfish. Imagine the trauma of the train driver / lorry driver whose path they step out in to?
    This has been discussed on here before - people who would commit suicide aren't of sound mind enough to think of the consequences to others. All they think about is how they want to end it. That is not selfish, it is simply how the human mind handles despair.

When I was at school, the father of a classmate was a train driver who had someone jump off the platform under his train. He was off work for nearly a year and suffered ptsd for many years afterwards. He never went back to driving trains.

When I was a teenager I found a body in the local river of someone who had drowned themself, and I had a good few nightmares for several years afterwards. A sister-in-law had a similar experience as a child when she came across someone in a wood who had tried to kill themself by taking a drug overdose.

It's different for trained emergency service personnel 'who have to pick up the pieces' but in many many cases it's members of the public who witness the act or are first on the scene.

We had a suicide on our local bypass last year where a chap stepped out from a layby in to the path of an oncoming lorry travelling at 70mph. I passed the scene as ambulance staff 'were picking up the pieces' - one of them was vomiting in the bushes, along with several members of the public. I saw the lorry driver and he was totally distraught. A week later the same thing happened on the same bypass.
    Do you not think about what drove the person to do that? It isn't a conscious decision to annoy others...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Do you not think about what drove the person to do that? It isn't a conscious decision to annoy others...
    Yes, but their not considering the potential traumatic effects of their actions on others can surely be interpreted as an inherently selfish action in itself?
    Last edited by tech_guy; 30th August 2009 at 05:24 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There was a thread very similar to this a few months ago....i shall not comment further...

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/behind...nt-trains.html
    Last edited by Little-Miss; 30th August 2009 at 05:22 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    There was a thread very similar to this a few months ago....i shall not comment further...

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/behind...nt-trains.html
    I wondered where the feeling of deja vu had come from.....

Thank Post
    To answer the original question: because trains don't work like cars, they are extremely serial.

Once the train in question is halted, you have to:
    • get emergency crews to the scene
    • establish what happened and secure evidence in case of foul play
    • ensure the line is safe for other trains to continue
    • get the driver out and another one in, who could be coming from miles and miles away, because you can hardly expect them to carry on as if nothing's happened after an experience like that

This takes time, and meanwhile the rest of the system has also halted because there's no such thing as a quick diversion. The entire system, especially during rush hour, is timed to an amazing amount of precision and tiny things can upset it, because trains can't just overtake each other.

Meanwhile, in emotion-land: many, many drivers involved in one-unders don't ever get back in a train again, even as a passenger. Stop and think of them for a moment, can't you? You were late, deal with it. If it was a bomb in your carriage, you probably wouldn't have arrived at all.

(heh, look at that rep go...)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    And can I add that I have and still do suffer from depression and have been treated for it in the past? Thank you.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

The real question is how can the is a mess/crime scenic on the track be dealt with to get all the evidence and every thing back to normal!! What to do with all the passengers stranded at other stations I know we are on the unimportant line. The roads don't often close all lanes and they seem to aim at getting traffic flowing again. Taking a long time over it is still not going to bring them back to life. I do think at high risk location more precautions should be taken.

Thank Post
    you think rail staff deliberately take as much time as they can so that trains don't get running again? eesh.

Trust me, they are doing their damndest to get the system running again because of the impact it has on the entire region.

It's true that information is sometimes hard to come by, I'll give you that. It's a combination of simply not knowing, and having other priorities to deal with. It's nice to get a reassuring 'yes, things are still broken' from time to time I suppose.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast