+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Kettle Leads in General; This is a pretty strange question, can Kettle Leads come with the plugs so the cable comes from the side ...
    Thank Post

Kettle Leads

This is a pretty strange question, can Kettle Leads come with the plugs so the cable comes from the side rather than the underneath or without the thick protection rubber?

I'm guessing the latter is pretty obvious that it should come with the thick protection rubber

We have very tight space within some lockers, unfortunately standard kettle leads do not fit and as pupils may be taking the cables home slicing and re-taping the leads isn't an option. Any advice happily received!

Thank Post
    we have had some L leads but they aren't as plentiful as normal ones. We have put them in a small comms cabinet & a usual lead would have fouled the door. So not very helpful sorry, yes they are available but never bought any so no idea where to get them.

Thank Post
    Do you mean the actual plugging in bit is shaped like an L? I have some of those but it's the physical plug (with 3 prongs) with the cable coming from the bottom is too big to fit in (because of the protection rubber), hopefully a pic may help:

Art has never been a strong point.

Thank Post

5. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

dwhyte85 (25th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Nope :'(

Although, some on eBay don't have the rubber protection on the cable!

Thank Post
    We got one with a device (I think it was a camera charger) where the cable itself had a US style plug on it, going into effectively a travel adapter, but one designed for that specific plug.

That meant that the wire exited at 90 degrees to the wall.

Incidentally IEC leads used for computers are not the same as kettle leads - the plug at the applicance end is subtly different, and the plug will have a 13A fuse for a kettle.

8. Thanks to SteveBentley from:

dwhyte85 (25th August 2009)

Thank Post
    I'm not sure the BS allows for exotic cable exits in 13A plugs, but you'd have to ask AndrewC.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    We got one with a device (I think it was a camera charger) where the cable itself had a US style plug on it, going into effectively a travel adapter, but one designed for that specific plug.

That meant that the wire exited at 90 degrees to the wall.

Incidentally IEC leads used for computers are not the same as kettle leads - the plug at the applicance end is subtly different, and the plug will have a 13A fuse for a kettle.
    Good idea with the travel adapter, thanks for clarifying they're not kettle leads - maybe why I had problem trying to find it online, i've always called them kettle leads because they look the same

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm getting lost here! Have you got power sockets inside lockers and you're trying to get something inside the locker which can be plugged in?? Is it a "hot" device (like a kettle)?

One possibility would be to wire your own leads - buy a 13A plug and IEC C14 socket and some very flexible mains cable. The wire will still come out of the bottom but it should be able to turn through a sharp angle.

I'm sure I've seen very flexible mains cable for sale somewhere but (of course!) I can't find it now... You need something which is made from very many fine strands of copper and a very flexible rubber outer sheath.

I'm not sure what the H&S implications are of doing this - the reason almost everything is sold with moulded on plugs is that it removes the risk of someone wrongly wiring the plugs and also makes it tougher (so wires can't easily be tugged out) - you'd need to check that out with someone who can confirm that it's OK (or not!)

Thank Post
    Because of the HS of it I can't really do it myself and time constraints for 100 leads would be killer. Have found someone who manufactures angled leads (like my amazing drawing), he was from a company called tangible benefits and called Ollie if anyone else has that need - around 4.50 a lead though (desperate!).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread