+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Use a mobile phone as a 3G modem? in General; I'm away camping and would like to be able to browse the internet a bit. I've hooked up my mobile ...
    Thank Post

Use a mobile phone as a 3G modem?

I'm away camping and would like to be able to browse the internet a bit. I've hooked up my mobile phone as a 3G modem but i'm not sure how much this might cost. I have 'unlimited' internet on my Vodafore contract which of course isn't really unlimited I think it gets me about 3Gb per month. Anyone else use their phone like this of am I better off buying a 3G dongle? Am I risking running up a massive bill (hidden charges for this kind of use) by using my phone like this?

Cheers.

Thank Post
    I would check with your provider. I know T-Mobile differentiate between using Internet on your mobile and using your mobile as an Internet connection for something else (like a laptop). You have to pay extra for that functionality.

e.g https://www.t-mobile.co.uk/services/...hone-as-modem/

EDIT: Found Vodafone's info squirrelled away. Looks like it'll cost you £20 !! ouch
    http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispatc...pageID=MB_0022
    Last edited by kearton; 22nd August 2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Added URLs

Thank Post
    Yeah, beware here. I did this on an O2 phone a while back, and despite having a sufficient amount of data included, sending two e-mails cost me around £3! Because it was done via a laptop and not the phone itself.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Again i would check with your service provider that you do have DATA on your tarrif, and that this can be used on your laptop.

If you can purchase the dongle which is normally around £100 you can then use it as a Pay and Go 3G Connection. failing that the Contracts are not too expensive now £10 - £15 per month and sometimes you get the first 3 months for free.

Even though i have Data on my phone contract i still have a Seperate contract for my 3G Dongle as i use the phone Data to push my emails to my phone etc as well as facebook and then i use my 3G dongle for any browsing, work etc i need to do while away.

James.

Thank Post
    I totally agree -check with your service provider. What I always try and tell people is unlimited never means unlimited - my dad was just about to sign up to a contract with Three with "unlimited internet" - only to turn out they gave him 1gb a month!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    You can do this with android phones (although it looks like it's against the T+C for T-mobile)
    Tetherbot

Tetherbot is an experimental SOCKS proxy and Port Bouncer that should allow you to connect your laptop to the internet using the internet connection (EDGE, 3G or WiFi) of your Android-powered phone.

Thank Post
    Turns out I get 500 Mb per month with my current contract then it's £2 per Mb i'm impressed with the speed though.

I noticed a deal on a dongle today that gave you 'Unilmited' internet for £20 per month then in the small print it tell you that if you go over 5Gb they might have something to say not quite sure what part of 'Unlimited' Vodafone don't understand maybe i'll ring and ask if they need my help clarifying it.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    I use my o2 XDA as a modem, hock it up via the USB cable and use the internet

Thank Post
    You could buy 1 of Welcome to 3 Dongle 4 Free and "unlock" it, add a PayGo 02 Iphone sim (fleebay etc) and get free internet for a year (just need the initial £10 topup)
    the free web and wifi bolt on is a monthly deal you will recieve a txt each month saying your bolt on has been activated untill your 12 montths runs out (or until they work out your not using an Iphone lol)

S

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have just been investigating using mine for the 2 days away I'm having. It isn't worth buying a 3g dongle for what will effectively be a few mdsn documents whilst i'm out and about.

Thank Post
    Cookie: what phone do you have?

As you've got 500mb included I'd guess your on Orange? in that case I've used my omnia while tethered to my laptop on orange, I can't remember how much I was charged when I used it but it certainly didn't break the bank - I've only ever used it for short periods of time though.

Either way it worked out much cheaper than a the usual hotel wifi

Thank Post
    It's a Sony C702 on Vodafone I didn't realise that I had the 500Mb as Voda have a very odd way of showing addons when you look online, oh well i've got it and it works pretty well

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread