+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Ps3 or slimline ps3? in General; Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc Still seems to be a lot of money. I wonder if they'll be a more limited ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    Still seems to be a lot of money. I wonder if they'll be a more limited version like the XBOX360 Arcade.
    There wont be.... atleast not for a few years. Sony havent cut massive corners on their consoles before with the slim versions of PS and PS2, doubtfull they'll do it this time.

If you want a budget console, theres one available from MS. But a few years of paying for online, upgrading the HD and getting wireless controllers and you are upto Elite/PS3 price levels.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 20th August 2009 at 08:42 AM.

2. Thanks to Theblacksheep from:

Potato-Peeler (20th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    I have trouble reading?? You've equated PS3 slim or PS3 fat to equal Mac!

I game play games on my phone too, but that wont run PS3 games. OSX wont run PS3 games either. Nor will Windows. You need a PS3 for PS3 games.... and this thread is about PS3s.

When the internet has fast speeds, when consoles are gone and when games are subscription service. Pie in the sky.
    I can only think of 2 games that I would play on a PS 3 - one of which you can get on windows anyway so a complete waste of money on my side to pay out £250 or there abouts for the console and one game ?

When I could upgrade my mac and have a better gaming experience - im not saying sony PS3 = apple mac in anyway shape or form my comment was based on what I was going to do with my money which was to upgrade my mac for various reasons one of which was gaming.

I will wait until they bring out that subscription service until then I won't bother with a PS 3

4. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    Been contemplating buying one aswell. Looking at the specs at the moment it looks like the new model is the much better choice unless you're desperate to play around installing linux on it.
    Why is it the better choice? I honestly dont know. lol. I still havent got a clue unfortunately

Thank Post
    I would go with the older fatter model. You know they work (the new slimline might be more unstable - who knows), and they work bloody well!

Also, HDD space is not an issue. I have the 40GB model and I'm no where near filling it. If you do however need additional space, buying a 2.5 HDD is no problem, and cheap enough if that day comes.

7. Thanks to Hightower from:

Thank Post
    Thanks everyone, i think i am getting the fat model, not the slimline, and definitely not a smegging macbook :P

9. Thanks to Potato-Peeler from:

CPLTD (20th August 2009)

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    I can only think of 2 games that I would play on a PS 3 - one of which you can get on windows anyway so a complete waste of money on my side to pay out £250 or there abouts for the console and one game ?

When I could upgrade my mac and have a better gaming experience - im not saying sony PS3 = apple mac in anyway shape or form my comment was based on what I was going to do with my money which was to upgrade my mac for various reasons one of which was gaming.

I will wait until they bring out that subscription service until then I won't bother with a PS 3
    I would rather use a games console than any Computer. They do what i want all i want to do is play games, they do that well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    In the typical brilliant conversion rates, its £249.
    Yes you're probably right actually. That's why I bought my original fat PS3 on import as it came in £100 cheaper and the supplier still made profit on it!

On a seperate note for the consoles vs PC/Mac debate, consoles are most definitely easier to use and ready 'out the box'. Some of the latest and greatest graphics cards can be worth more than the PS3 console itself.

Thank Post
    It's entirely up to you which you choose I'd say.

The sound issue is entirely irrelevant, given the fat one has no fans etc, the noise reduction is purely from the disc drive... which only really gets noisy when watching movies... but I have the sound on, so I can't tell - despite it sitting next to me.

I guess both will still kick out a fair bit of heat, I know my fat one does

Do you really want Linux? It wasn't worth the hassle when I tried it, which was well over a year ago. I can't thikn of anything else the fat one has, I don't think you get the media card functions on them anymore either...

and dear god is the shiny surface hard to keep clean... I wouldn't trade it for all the matt surfaces in the world though, glossy is perrrdy

Thank Post
    After using my xbox elite and trying to hear what i was playing, there is no way i would play games on a mac pro, if my G5 is anything to go by. Don't get me wrong its a good machine but i bet the thing gets loud when its working hard. I can't play games until late at night (when i can actually get on it after my son goes to bed)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    After using my xbox elite and trying to hear what i was playing
    Install the games to the hard drive, and then it's virtually silent.

Thank Post
    Until the fans kick in!

And the fact that it takes quite a bit of time to copy them over. I just want to buy the game, get it home and shove it in eagerly awaiting what is about to take place.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    And the fact that it takes quite a bit of time to copy them over. I just want to buy the game, get it home and shove it in eagerly awaiting what is about to take place.
    In that case - don't ever buy a PS3

Anyway - my 360 is almost silent unless it's reading a disc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPerceptron View Post
    It's entirely up to you which you choose I'd say.

The sound issue is entirely irrelevant, given the fat one has no fans etc, the noise reduction is purely from the disc drive... which only really gets noisy when watching movies... but I have the sound on, so I can't tell - despite it sitting next to me.

I guess both will still kick out a fair bit of heat, I know my fat one does
    The fat does have a fan... a huge one underneath the BR drive and power supply. A metal undertray is designed around it. I took mine apart tonight to clean out the dust as its coming up to its 3rd birthday and the fan was on 'level 2' most of the time. A good clean and it goes back down to silent/idle after boot (it does a small ramp up of fan on the boot beep).

If you have the 80g/40g PS3 you can make it do a proper fan test on boot... it sticks it up to high speed for a 30 seconds or so and gets rid of the dust pretty well. This isnt on early PS3s 20g/60g, unless you block all the vents.... which isnt the best idea.

Quote Originally Posted by deKay View Post
    Anyway - my 360 is almost silent unless it's reading a disc.
    Xbox - almost silent. I'm not sure those words have ever been used in a sentence before.
    Anyway, how many 360s have you had now?
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 21st August 2009 at 12:08 AM.

Thank Post
    Xbox - almost silent. I'm not sure those words have ever been used in a sentence before.
    It's usually the DVD drive, not the fans, that make most of the noise. If I'm playing from the hard drive, I can barely hear the 360 at all. It's not silent, but it's quieter than most other disc-based consoles I've owned.

Anyway, how many 360s have you had now?
    This is my 3rd

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast