+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Downloading from youtube in General; Hey, i dunno where i stand with this, I go to a church in my town, and i have been ...
    Thank Post

Downloading from youtube

Hey, i dunno where i stand with this, I go to a church in my town, and i have been asked to download a video off youtube, apparantly we have been given permission to use it, as we record our services and sell them for people to watch. I have done it in the past but the last time it happened i turned round and said no after reading youtubes T&C. Is it illegal to download off youtube?

If anyone has anything which i can show to the people in charge please let me have it.

Cheers guys

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,206 Posts
    I believe it boils down to whether it's copyrighted. Chances are music videos will be, but home made videos most likely won't be. There are plenty of websites out there that let you download any clip just by copying and pasting the URL.

Thank Post
    What if its a home video, but with a song in the background? which is clearly going to copy written?

Thank Post
    hi neil, having fun? So you are worried about your recording picking up the youtube video being played? Has the church got all the relevent licences; PPL etc? If so, and its only the audio thats the problem, then i wouldnt be too bothered...

But then it is abit sticky as you are effectively selling copyrighted material... Dunno, maybe just say you will edit out the youtube video from the recording.

im just sat here still waiting for my IP info so that i can get our email, vle, www, remote access/TS, etc etc, up and running... And waiting for a DC to rebuild so that i can get DHCP installed.... Oh and RIS... And SIMS.... And double check all of the scripts for new server names... And add the new pupils to the system... All by the end of the week! lol
    Last edited by j17sparky; 17th August 2009 at 02:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Same answer as I give to anyone else:

Whether you record it or not, this is a public performance and playing back copyright works requires a PRS license. You almost certainly have one, but you need to consult with the licensed person in the church as to exactly what the details on it are. We can't help you, and none of us are lawyers (well, to my knowledge).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread