+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
General Chat Thread, And I Thought My Local Was Expensive! in General; 10 most expensive pints in the world [apparently] With the cheapest places to get a pint: 10. Philippines - 41p ...
  1. #1

    DaveP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Posts
    8,326
    Thank Post
    331
    Thanked 1,195 Times in 817 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    1065

    And I Thought My Local Was Expensive!

    10 most expensive pints in the world [apparently]



    With the cheapest places to get a pint:

    10. Philippines - 41p
    9. Kazakhstan - 41p
    8. Madagascar - 38p
    7. North Korea - 38p
    6. Democratic Rep. of Congo - 38p
    5. Ethiopia - 37p
    4. Bhutan - 36p
    3. Myanmar - 34p
    2. Rwanda - 32p
    1. Panama - 30p

    Source: Link
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 15th August 2009 at 05:17 PM.

  2. #2
    SC-UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    569
    Thank Post
    36
    Thanked 85 Times in 71 Posts
    Rep Power
    29
    7.00 for a pint? Some of the hotels I have stayed in whilst working in London haven't been far off this!

    An EG drinking session should definately be arranged in Panama though!

  3. #3
    steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,040
    Thank Post
    22
    Thanked 175 Times in 121 Posts
    Rep Power
    51
    Well having just come back from the England game in Amsterdam, they've missed one off that list.

    Typically about 4.30 (5 euros) in bars over there, up to 5.40 (6.25 euros) in the most popular bars. It was cheaper to drink in the airport!

    No wonder we all had a carrier bag of cans from the supermarkets

  4. #4

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    12,997
    Thank Post
    590
    Thanked 1,500 Times in 1,346 Posts
    Rep Power
    398
    1.52 in my local. Ok happens to be RAF club

  5. #5
    networkingNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    144
    Thank Post
    15
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    I work behind a bar for my second job and the cheapest pint is 3.65 but the best ones are Magners at 5.95 each and 10.30 for a double vodka Red Bull


    nN

  6. #6


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    338
    I make my own beer

  7. #7


    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Rural heck
    Posts
    2,662
    Thank Post
    120
    Thanked 434 Times in 353 Posts
    Rep Power
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by networkingNut View Post
    I work behind a bar for my second job and the cheapest pint is 3.65 but the best ones are Magners at 5.95 each and 10.30 for a double vodka Red Bull


    nN
    Blimey, I thought paying 3 a pint was bad. That said I think we'll be up to 4 a pint by this time next year. I expect the government will put duty up again, not to mention large pub owning companies increasing the amount they're screwing out of small pubs.
    Last edited by K.C.Leblanc; 15th August 2009 at 09:38 PM.

  8. #8

    garethedmondson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Gowerton, Swansea
    Posts
    2,200
    Thank Post
    936
    Thanked 315 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by SC-UK View Post
    7.00 for a pint? Some of the hotels I have stayed in whilst working in London haven't been far off this!

    An EG drinking session should definately be arranged in Panama though!
    I agree - recently paid 5 for a bottle of Nastro Azzuro in London and 9.50 for a large glass of red wine in a hotel bar in Birmingham (for the wife) - although saying that - the wine was amazing.

    GJE

  9. #9
    kearton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Yorkshire, via NZ ;)
    Posts
    805
    Thank Post
    119
    Thanked 78 Times in 68 Posts
    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I make my own beer
    When I was at Uni I used to make Home Brew. From memory it worked out to NZ$0.80 for 1.5l which works out at (very) approx 10p per pint.
    But the exchange rate works 2 ways.......... when I first moved the the UK a pint here cost me the equivalent of NZ$10 for a pint. Not good if you're not earning 's yet and basically spending $ still...

  10. #10


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    338
    Quote Originally Posted by kearton View Post
    When I was at Uni I used to make Home Brew. From memory it worked out to NZ$0.80 for 1.5l which works out at (very) approx 10p per pint.
    But the exchange rate works 2 ways.......... when I first moved the the UK a pint here cost me the equivalent of NZ$10 for a pint. Not good if you're not earning 's yet and basically spending $ still...
    I gather home brewing/distilling is quite popular in NZ, always seem to be a lot of kiwis on the HB forums.
    I think I'm spending about 30/40p per pint for all grain, cheaper than the off license and better quality than a lot of pubs !

  11. #11

    RabbieBurns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,476
    Thank Post
    1,305
    Thanked 469 Times in 306 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Well having just come back from the England game in Amsterdam, they've missed one off that list.

    Typically about 4.30 (5 euros) in bars over there, up to 5.40 (6.25 euros) in the most popular bars. It was cheaper to drink in the airport!

    No wonder we all had a carrier bag of cans from the supermarkets
    They add on an extra couple of euros per pint to make up for the damage the english hooligans do

  12. #12

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,115
    Thank Post
    512
    Thanked 2,313 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    803
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    They add on an extra couple of euros per pint to make up for the damage the english hooligans do
    Don't you mean the British hooligans?

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    2,161
    Thank Post
    95
    Thanked 318 Times in 260 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I gather home brewing/distilling is quite popular in NZ, always seem to be a lot of kiwis on the HB forums.
    I think I'm spending about 30/40p per pint for all grain, cheaper than the off license and better quality than a lot of pubs !
    I do homebrew wine and estimate that the mead I make costs 8/gallon. So that's about 1.60 per bottle of 24% mead - goes for around 10 a bottle in shops at least.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Somewhere in the north
    Posts
    351
    Thank Post
    11
    Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    I don't drink alcohol, but the price of soft drinks can be bad enough sometimes! Considering they use syrup and dilute it with carbonated water, which must cost 5p a pint or smoething? Went in a pub which was selling that for 2.80... no thanks!

  15. #15

    SpuffMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,192
    Thank Post
    53
    Thanked 270 Times in 178 Posts
    Rep Power
    131
    Yeah - I got took for over 7 for a large glass of beer to accompany lunch when on hols in Brugges recently - I know its a tourist trap - but flippin heck!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 26th February 2010, 10:00 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14th June 2008, 12:18 AM
  3. Expensive Internet...
    By button_ripple in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 19th April 2008, 12:04 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •