+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, I Have Received This E-Mail [Unsolicited] in General; This arrived in my main school E-Mail inbox this evening: Classification: NOT PROTECTIVELY MARKED// Dear Trainer, Please see the information ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 890 Posts
    Blog Entries

I Have Received This E-Mail [Unsolicited]

This arrived in my main school E-Mail inbox this evening:

Classification: NOT PROTECTIVELY MARKED//
    Dear Trainer,

Please see the information below regarding the NEW Attorney General’s Youth Network Program.
    The CEOP Education Team have been working closely with The Attorney General, Baroness Scotland and are pleased to launch the Youth Network Competition.

Young people can visit YouTube - agyouthnet's Channel for more information and to submit their entries.

Don’t let your young people miss out. It’s a fantastic opportunity, spread the word!

Kind Regards,

Education Team
    AG Youth Network:

1. The Attorney General’s Youth Network is building on the success of partnerships that have worked well, encouraging understanding and respect for the rule of law, and contributing to citizenship education, including increasing understanding of the justice system and of an individual’s rights and responsibilities.

2. A competition is being launched to encourage young people to explore issues on citizenship and the rule of law. The competition and development of an Attorney General’s Youth Advisory Council, as part of the Youth Network activities, is designed to involve young people aged 14-18 in the processes of government and law. Through the Attorney general's Youth Advisory Council, young people will be encouraged to share an open dialogue to discuss opinions/ideas on relevant matters within the state and their local communities.

3. The competition closes at midnight on 16th September. A panel will select up to 30 top entries selected, the winning entrants will be invited to become members of the Attorney General's Youth Advisory Council. The first meeting of the Youth Advisory Council will be held by November, and those selected will be announced on the 22nd September at a launch event in London. The top three entries will receive an Attorney General award. This is the chance to be recognised and to make a real difference. The Attorney General will write to those selected for the Attorney General Youth Advisory Council, their head teachers and local MP's congratulating them on their achievement.

4. Please note that if you are short listed for the top entries your entry may be featured on the website or other publicised material.

Further background;

Youth Advisory Council role and key aims

Key Aims:

‘Leading and Influencing Change’

• To involve young people in the processes of government and law, and facilitate and promote dialogue, bringing a real and fresh perspective about youth issues.

Role

• To consult with young people and local community groups on legal issues and policies that concerns young people.

• To collect, analyse & provide the Attorney General with information on issues and policies in law concerning young people.

• To consider methods to resolve youth-related conflicts

• To partner with local organisations on shared issues

• To prepare for youth leadership through participation

• To propose recommendations to improve the lives of young people

• Meetings will be held with the Attorney General at least twice each year.

So:

Has anyone else received one of these?

Bearing in mind that this was unsolicited where did this come from or have I agreed to something in the past which has generated this invitation. While being willing to help all I can I do not want to get involved in something that commits me to something that I cannot ultimately continue to support.

Without casting aspersions on what might be a real invitation: Is it genuine?

Your thoughts please.

Many thanks.
    Last edited by DaveP; 14th August 2009 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Amended post format.

Thank Post
    Yes, I received this.

Are you registered on the CEOP website or have carried out the ambassador training?

Child Exploitation & Online Protection Centre - internet safety - CEOP

Thank Post
    I'm not at work at the moment, but I'll probably have got one too as I'm a registered on the Think U Know website as a CEOP trainer. Will check tomorrow.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So it's genuine then. Strange timing though isn't it?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    So it's genuine then. Strange timing though isn't it?
    I would have thought so, yes on both counts. But maybe it's sort of in line with Scottish schools? Don't they go back earlier than the rest of the UK?

6. Thanks to leco from:

speckytecky (15th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Yes I got this too. I am registered with CEOPS also. The majority of Scots schools are back this week.

Thank Post
    Ditto, ironic thing is, I cant find any way to unsubscribe!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread