+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Thoughts on Incentive Schemes in General; Out of interest... What are peoples thoughts on incentive programmes for schools? Specifically ICT departments. Do they work or are ...
    Thank Post

Thoughts on Incentive Schemes

Out of interest...

What are peoples thoughts on incentive programmes for schools? Specifically ICT departments.

Do they work or are they a waste of time?

For those where schemes have worked what have been the incentives offered?

Thank Post
    What do you mean by incentive schemes?

Thank Post
    We have been exploring an idea along with of our suppliers to see if some sort of reward scheme for schools would be a viable idea.

Its difficult to explain without mentioning names & products which will upset the moderators as it could be seen as product promotion but something along the lines of a reward, voucher, discount, redeem code etc for some collaborative work with schools on online child protection issues.

Thank Post
    At the risk of going all "Dragons Den" on you, you've posted two messages in a forum full of educational IT professionals and not stated the intention and/or purpose, so no one is really going to be able to answer?!

I'm all for rewards, freebies and incentives, but they would have to be comparatively worthwhile with whatever I was doing in return. "Child Protection issues" is quite vague - but if it was specific details or incidents you were after I think you'd be hard pushed to get the data.

Thank Post
    I don't accept freebies or go for incentives.

I get the best quality gear I can at the cheapest price I possibly can, i'd hope most schools would be doing that when using tax payer money

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post

I get the best quality gear I can at the cheapest price I possibly can, i'd hope most schools would be doing that when using tax payer money
    In case that was in reply to my comment, just to clarify - I share the same values on procurement.
    Procurement aside, if I am in the position to (appropriately) help a company in return for "free" resources which the school can then use, then that's what I meant by "all for"

Thank Post
    No... not aimed at you whatsoever! If the school gains from it, fair enough... shouldn't be personal gain though.

I think procurement in education should be monitored strictly and greater care should be taken auditing schools on what they spend money on... that's a different matter though.

From personal experience the companies offering the greatest freebies and offering the best incentives are generally the companies that don't give the best price. I've seen it in big companies where people have taken a slightly more expensive quote so they get a Wii for personal gain, i'm sure the same goes on in schools...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post

Sorry I am vague. I had a friendly wrap on the knuckles a few months back about overstepping the boundaries of this site so want to stay well within the rules.

I also think in my vague approach I have sent people off in the wrong direction. The incentives are not in association with buying a product, that would be bribery and a big no no!

In a nutshell we want to start promoting FREE online child protection tools to parents and the obvious way to reach a wide parental audience is via the schools. If some schools wanted to make their parents aware of the tools then we where thinking of a way of thanking the schools for their participation in such a way that is did not break any rules or sensibilities.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragon View Post
    Sorry I am vague. I had a friendly wrap on the knuckles a few months back about overstepping the boundaries of this site so want to stay well within the rules.

I also think in my vague approach I have sent people off in the wrong direction. The incentives are not in association with buying a product, that would be bribery and a big no no!

In a nutshell we want to start promoting FREE online child protection tools to parents and the obvious way to reach a wide parental audience is via the schools. If some schools wanted to make their parents aware of the tools then we where thinking of a way of thanking the schools for their participation in such a way that is did not break any rules or sensibilities.
    If that's honestly all you want to do, I can't see why you can't detail the tools here? If they are completely free then you're making us aware of a resource rather than telling us to buy a product...?

Do you have a link?

Thank Post
    This is slightly besides the point, why would you offer an incentive to a school if you aren't going to make money off of it? :P

I think a school would have to be careful, if they were offering something truly free, eg, OpenOffice on a CD for students & parents it's slightly different to offering something that is 'Free' but you can buy addons/features, it might look a bit like an affiliation which a school would probably like to avoid.

I know from my POV, i wouldn't want to offer it as i'd probably get complaints if it didn't work correctly despite me putting 10 disclaimers saying do not contact our ICT dept... if, however it was truly free & bundled with other useful software I might distribute to people who ask for it.

Thank Post
    Show the product at BETT or similar. If it's good enough, people will, when asked, give it as a personal recommendation which is probably worth much more than a recommendation based on having received some freebies.

Thank Post
    This forum is getting totally out of control. Stop berating people, mocking their ideals and ideas and the rest of it, reply from your prospective and stop shooting everyone down.

For the past few weeks I've noticed a growing trend in people berating other people because what they do, want to do and the rest of it doesn't conform to your own standards.

The idea isn't idiotic either, if they want to provide incentives for schools for promoting a free product then let them do so, there is no need to question why, or examine business motives for this, and lets not forget there are Private schools here who aren't state funded or granted, they could do with all the help they can get. Specially in a Private school, where the majority of the time IT is downsized and pushed to its limits as spending money to improve services costs a fortune that they can't justify all the time.

Everyone just needs to chill, either have something positive to say, or say nothing at all.

13. 4 Thanks to ahuxham:

Abaddon (13th August 2009), CPLTD (13th August 2009), GrumbleDook (13th August 2009), SYNACK (13th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragon View Post
    something along the lines of a reward, voucher, discount, redeem code etc
    Vouchers for hardware would be pointless - schools want to buy a classroom's worth of equipment at a time, or identical kit for a number of machines, having random bits of hardware around is more bother than it's worth. As pointed out above, the same goes for software - a school either wants a whole network license or it's not worth the bother.

Free teaching resources might come in handy - well-prepared resources, linked to the national cucciculum, that a teacher can use in classes about child protection, Internet safety, etc. Maybe dish these out free on CD, or make them downloadable from your website, or maybe give out free posters, but make sure the teacher is free to edit/remix them.

--
    David Hicks

15. Thanks to dhicks from:

BlueDragon (13th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Vouchers for hardware would be pointless - schools want to buy a classroom's worth of equipment at a time, or identical kit for a number of machines, having random bits of hardware around is more bother than it's worth. As pointed out above, the same goes for software - a school either wants a whole network license or it's not worth the bother.

Free teaching resources might come in handy - well-prepared resources, linked to the national cucciculum, that a teacher can use in classes about child protection, Internet safety, etc. Maybe dish these out free on CD, or make them downloadable from your website, or maybe give out free posters, but make sure the teacher is free to edit/remix them.

--
    David Hicks
    Thanks David

Thats helpful and something we had thought might be useful. We work with an advisor to schools in the county who delivers talks to parents and pupils and have media that we have created for them thats been well received.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Non-ICT rewards might be an area worth looking into. PE departments can always do with more footballs, Technology with more raw materials ... this forum might not be the best one to test the waters to get the whole school idea.

It might also be worth chatting with BESA about this as they are likely to have a better idea.

You could also try the TES forums too as well as schoolzone.

Incentives can work, but usually in partnership with another group.

18. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

BlueDragon (13th August 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast