+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Thoughts on Incentive Schemes in General; Originally Posted by ahuxham This forum is getting totally out of control. Stop berating people, mocking their ideals and ideas ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ahuxham View Post
    This forum is getting totally out of control. Stop berating people, mocking their ideals and ideas and the rest of it, reply from your prospective and stop shooting everyone down.

For the past few weeks I've noticed a growing trend in people berating other people because what they do, want to do and the rest of it doesn't conform to your own standards.

The idea isn't idiotic either, if they want to provide incentives for schools for promoting a free product then let them do so, there is no need to question why, or examine business motives for this, and lets not forget there are Private schools here who aren't state funded or granted, they could do with all the help they can get. Specially in a Private school, where the majority of the time IT is downsized and pushed to its limits as spending money to improve services costs a fortune that they can't justify all the time.

Everyone just needs to chill, either have something positive to say, or say nothing at all.
    He asked for opinions on what people think, unfortunately in the real world not everyone is accepting, especially when words like incentive & rewards are mentioned in conjunction with software.

We get several phone calls a day from people selling us things offering us rewards if we spend x amount on IT products, we are allowed to be wary.

As far as I can see nobody has mocked his idea, it'd make a huge amount of sense to allow us to see the product as it may not be something that is suitable to distribute within a school. An example of blindly handing things out goes back to when I was at my first school... collecting barcodes were all the rage because of the barcode game (Barcode Battler, I think) the school blindly handed out lots of leaflets for a charity campaign to collect barcodes... it turns out it went to an adult who was selling the barcodes. Ok, that sounds pretty pathetic... imagine how the admin office felt after they put these in the registers for the children to take home and how dumb the school looked after they'd fell for it.

Obviously the example above is nothing to do with software and a CD, but the damage that could be potentially done. The other issue is if things go wrong, the school would get comeback - especially if people found that the school was being given things for distributing it. Maybe something like a freshers fair exists for parents and schools? That'd be a perfect way to distribute it!
    Last edited by dwhyte85; 13th August 2009 at 06:09 PM.

2. Thanks to dwhyte85 from:

mb2k01 (13th August 2009)

Thank Post
    I've been told by our business manager that it is very dodgy ground to be accepting any sort of gift or incentive from a company or to base any decision making on gifts or incentives offered. The main reason being that we are spending public money at the end of the day and have to demonstrate best value at all times. Gifts and incentives can be seen as making this process unfair by some.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post
    He asked for opinions on what people think, unfortunately in the real world not everyone is accepting, especially when words like incentive & rewards are mentioned in conjunction with software.

We get several phone calls a day from people selling us things offering us rewards if we spend x amount on IT products, we are allowed to be wary.
    Very well said. I don't see how a company can make something for free and then spend more money promoting it without taking some money out of it somewhere. This detail seems not to have been mentioned.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    I don't see how a company can make something for free and then spend more money promoting it without taking some money out of it somewhere.
    I.e. if you have to give away other stuff with your system/software/product/whatever, then your product isn't the best on the market and you're hoping that people will notice the incentive rather than look too closly at your product. Or it can give that impresssion, anyway - if you're confident your product is good then don't worry, concentrate on keeping it there, and if you're not hire some more programmers and fix it.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    I.e. if you have to give away other stuff with your system/software/product/whatever, then your product isn't the best on the market and you're hoping that people will notice the incentive rather than look too closly at your product. Or it can give that impresssion, anyway - if you're confident your product is good then don't worry, concentrate on keeping it there, and if you're not hire some more programmers and fix it.

--
    David Hicks
    But he hasn't said that he's peddling something else. But then that would get him into trouble because he's too tight to become a sponsor.

Thank Post
    But he hasn't said that he's peddling something else. But then that would get him into trouble because he's too tight to become a sponsor.
    You know this 100% before all the facts are shown? You're that confident he isn't being honest and is being mischievous in the background?

Maybe the company isn't for sponsorship, maybe a manager has declined this. I can see why the majority of sponsors come on here, they have targeted markets and products, they might have a product only a small minority want, doesn't make them less valuable, as its still a wanted product.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    Woah - rein it in a bit! You know nothing about his circumstances so you cannot state that he is 'tight' any more than you would be 'tight' if your boss wouldn't let you spend money on new kit.

I would like to know what is the reason for it all - as has been said, money must be made somewhere.
    BUT - that wasn't the original question, was it....

IF there are no costs at all, then free resources are a good idea. I agree though that incentives for the whole school might be better. Smaller schools might appreciate vouchers for such things as cameras, webcams and the like as you don't need lots of those at once

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12