+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, So, my users are back.... in General; Anyone else feel like their productivity has nosedived since the kids and (probably more so) teachers are back? It's taken ...

Thank Post

So, my users are back....

Anyone else feel like their productivity has nosedived since the kids and (probably more so) teachers are back? It's taken me three days to get something done that would have taken <1 day in the holidays.

I'm really (albeit unfairly) resenting their intrusion into my work schedule .

The little darlings have already broken a printer in exactly the same way they did last time and some <expletive deleted> has broken the lens mount on the loaner projector.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: So, my users are back....

Yep. Our little darlings were back on monday, pupils yesterday

Already we've had requests for 2 pieces of software to be "put on the network" that they've had since june. Then there's the monitors for the new IT Suite that arrived today in the middle of me helping SMT produce a booklet (scheduled for me shortly after 4pm yesterday afternoon) about our results; and bossman sorting out the timetable etc in SIMS. And all the while, printer this, interactive whiteboard that, forgot-my-password the other, and expect it done at the drop of a hat.

To say it's been rather hectic is an understatement :P

Thank Post

I dred returning after the holidays as theres hundreds of "ive forgot my password" requests from both students and staff.

Thank Post

@Sylv3r: I hear you... why is it that so many people are incapable of remembering a word that they thought up and they've typed in over 100 times only a few weeks ago?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

worst week of my career. nuff said.

Thank Post

....and some other prat has broken the colour laser that costs $bignum - i just hope it's the fuser unit because I think it's the only part still under warranty.

....and I spent far too long doing detective work regarding inter-pupil internet nastiness that happened out of school.

....and the curriculum fileserver thought it would be amusing to receive but not bother to send any packets at about 12:10. Fixed that before anyone noticed (or tried to save work).

On the plus side I did get a niggling dvd audio problem that's been plaguing our HP laptops fixed (ac3 codec was a b0rked version) and had a productive afternoon boosting the confidence of one of our users who needs a bit of hand-holding.

I may wear a disguise on Monday and hide in the server room

Thank Post

Ditto ditto ditto all of the above.

What amazes me is that most staff think we're psychic - ours have returned expecting us to have done stuff they never told us about!

Plus all the usual "I've forgotten my password", teachers giving out Yacapaca usernames and not telling the kids that they're *not* for system login... projectors, Interactive Whiteboards (that's a swearword in our office), office moves, IP phones, Bromcom, new staff etc etc etc etc

I'm very glad it's Friday night, but I suspect that it won't change next week either

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Yep. Our little darlings were back on monday, pupils yesterday
    I got SUCH a look from one of our teachers the other week when he remarked "The little darlings are back soon" and I replied "Soon...? I thought you were all back last Monday!"

Already we've had requests for 2 pieces of software to be "put on the network" that they've had since june.
    We usually reply to things like that with "How about NO!". We only make changes like that during a break.

Thank Post

What bugs me is that the little darlings have had all summer to come back in and check their rooms (ensuring any room changes might have gone well etc) but they all pile back on the monday and bug the hell out of you e.g. my whiteboard/projector/network cable etc isn't working!!!!

Then there is the new staff which were all told to come in during the second week of the holidays to pick up their laptops, but most still decide to wait till the monday??

AARRRHHHHHHHH plus the fact am on my own with E_G_R leaving I have to wait for another techie to be appointed should be later this month I hope!!!

Am going mad!!!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have put up a sample SLA here. Feel free to make suggestions on changes.

Thank Post

Awful week, Thursday was the only good, quiet day. Honestly the worst week Ive had in the 2 years Ive worked there

Monday was just teachers asking stupid questions as they obviously had nothing to do on the inset day

Tuesday and Wednesday were the worst. Phone must have rang 50 times on Wednesday. People forgetting passwords, students we'd never been told about, new staff members who need to log on THAT SECOND even though their departments didnt bother to tell us about their arrival

Friday was full of switch problems. Heavily used switch went down. Another switch serving the main IT suite didnt go down, instead it just ground to a halt

And now Monday Im going in at 7 because the 3 rooms (all full of PC's of course) that still havent been finished (apparantly they will over the weekend) have been promised to be ready at 9am.

Hopefully in a few weeks everything will calm down

Thank Post

Dreadful 7 week!

6 weeks holidays worked like a dog (managed 4 days off)
    This week all the accounts were deleted. I thought I'd solved it... no such luck, so I've had to enter 800 details and account permissions, and add all the computers back to the new domain I had to create. Been coming in at 6 or 7am, and working till gone 8pm every night.

Science department "forgot" to tell me that I was supposed to be terminating the 25 network points that the electrician had put the cat5 down for, so one cheeky git, who spent the last 6 weeks in Peru and the Alps wants me to come in at weekend and do the work! Plus I setup 20 new computers for them, however, they forgot to ask for their specific software to be loaded, and can I do that at weekend too....

Guess what my answer was!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries

I am thankful I have a very acoomodating team. Last saturday 3 of us were in tidying up before Monday, this week my NM has stayed back 3 nights to get things going and we were joined on Friday night by Sean and Ray to unbox, put together and start imaging 30 machines ready for Monday morning.

I have always said to people that you are only as good as your last mistake ... and even after all the good work that we were complimented on Monday and Tuesday ... we fell down on 3 things and so we get slated.

Then again ... I am a perfectionist and I am unhappy that we couldn't get everythig spot on ... in spite of not always having the kit or information.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts

Been a very busy week, forgotten passwords, I was expecting a new computer, where is my computer for my office (new people in new jobs), the copiers broken, i've run out of paper, have we got any spare extention leads, new software thats "network licenced" to the distributor but not us?!!? so thats in the bottom of the in-try to investigate. So were now looking at a job list thats still 2 sides of A4 and terms only been one week so far! But at least its not just me!

Thank Post

Not been a bad week here had the normal users forgetting passwords and 1 new pupil missing from my list with a possible 2 new ones next week but no names yet.

On the plus side Friday was part of our Rold Dahl Day along with the main one on the 13th. Everyone was watching films mostly on the interactive whiteboards which I am sure only ever get used as large displays. Still it gave me time to do jobs without interruptions and I managed to borrow a handful of films to watch over the weekend.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread