+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, What's been going on at our school in General; Well, I'l tell you. Contractors have been knocking down walls to create our new open plan learning space. I've been ...

Thank Post

What's been going on at our school

Well, I'l tell you.

Contractors have been knocking down walls to create our new open plan learning space.

I've been assured it will be finished in time for us to put the computers in, electrics are all done, carpets going down tomorrow and friday, network cabling is being done Mon, Tue, Weds next week and desks are arriving Thursday next week leaving us 1 week to put the machines in place!

They've also been knocking down walls to create a flexible learning space in the two classrooms nextdoor

And knocking down part of a partition wall to make a big opening into the Learning Resource Centre, which currently looks like a bomb site.

And we've been getting exciting deliveries of lots of new kit, courtesy of Stone computers who delivered at precisely the time and date they said they would. The staff room is our temporary warehouse

And stock piling all our old kit ready for recycling, or anyone else who wants it! (No not the apple macs in the background silly)

On top of that we've completely renewed all the main network servers, and are re-imaging all 600 computers in the school as we've ditched RM CC3 this year, we now have a completely vanilla windows based network which touch wood has behaved its self impeccably for the last 2 weeks.

Oh and we have 30 new laptops being delivered tomorrow, and 28 netbooks being delivered next week.

So yes, busy busy busy here, just thought I'd share it with you all.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Should look nice. Need any help? Website design is getting boring.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 729 Posts
    Exciting times there Mike. Nice to see PCs being delivered on time. Mine weren't supposed to come until next week. The phone call from from the Bursa was fun when then came 5 weeks early... "I have 4 palletts of computers here, are they yours?"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    And stock piling all our old kit ready for recycling, or anyone else who wants it!
    Are they Dell Optiplex 170Ls? (suffering the same problem as here... doors ripped off and/or Dell badges missing...) What size HDDs and RAM do they have? Also, have the Windows key stickers been ripped off?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kearton View Post
    Are they Dell Optiplex 170Ls? (suffering the same problem as here... doors ripped off and/or Dell badges missing...) What size HDDs and RAM do they have? Also, have the Windows key stickers been ripped off?
    They are Dell GX260's and they are about 5-6 years old. Pentium 4 2GHz, 256-512MB ram, no idea on the disc size probably 20-40GB. They still work but they're so naff we just need to be rid of them. I've given several away to people, there's about 12 left looking for homes.

Not sure about the license stickers, we install using a VLK so I've never really paid much attention to them, I expect most of them have been ripped off thou, it's usually the case.

Mike.

Thank Post
    I should have taken pictures of our Library, they completely stripped the ceiling out and are half way through putting a new one up.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jedmondson View Post
    Should look nice. Need any help? Website design is getting boring.
    You are welcome to design my wife's school website if you want. We are in the process of moving it over to EduJoomla.

GJE

Thank Post
    The school and rooms look pretty new for them to knocking down walls already - this is similar to what happens here we spend a fortune on refurbing rooms only for 12 months down the line having a rethink and adding / removing walls.

I like the dartboard in the staff room too. We've had slight delays with our stone equipment been delivered into school these holidays - all 300 PC's have arrived now and have been imaged just sort of 100 TFT's now and thats everything finished.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    The school and rooms look pretty new for them to knocking down walls already - this is similar to what happens here we spend a fortune on refurbing rooms only for 12 months down the line having a rethink and adding / removing walls.

I like the dartboard in the staff room too. We've had slight delays with our stone equipment been delivered into school these holidays - all 300 PC's have arrived now and have been imaged just sort of 100 TFT's now and thats everything finished.
    You'll love this then -the building we've just spent all this money on is due to be flattened in 3 years time for a brand new building that's going on the field opposite. We weren't intending to do this much work to the old building, but we really need to improve the existing facilities as the new building was supposed to be with us by now, but due to various political reasons has been delayed again and again and again!

That part of the school is the newest part we have, but it's not that new - 1970's build - but has been refurnished at least once in its life. Our site team do a fantastic job of maintaining our buildings, even the 1930's part of our school is immaculate.

Mike.
    Last edited by maniac; 13th August 2009 at 07:02 PM.

Thank Post
    I'd like to see some photo's when it is all finished & with all the equipment in.

Thank Post
    Well this is how it ended up. Photos taken on my phone as I didn't have my camera with me today. Just haven't had the chance to take any more in-between, but what a transformation, we're very pleased with it.

There's 2 other rooms as well, but there were meetings going on in those at the time.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,642 Posts
    Very swish! What a transformation! Hope the little darlings look after it!

rad
    Thank Post
    Nice, spinny chairs that expose foam when worn! hopefully they respect what they have been given.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    Nice, spinny chairs that expose foam when worn! hopefully they respect what they have been given.
    SLT have been warned that the chairs won't last, but they wanted it to look as business like as possible. I talked them out of getting wheely ones however and we got the ones with the 'glides' on instead.

I'm hoping they will respect it, as it's a really nice space, and literally everything is brand new (apart from the interactive boards and the Wireless Access Points!) Time will tell!

Mike.

Thank Post
    Looks pretty impressive.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast