+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, applying for a job at parents' company in General; my old man works in London for a company with offices all over, and he's just forwarded me a job ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

applying for a job at parents' company

my old man works in London for a company with offices all over, and he's just forwarded me a job advert for the office in Sydney which is right suitable for me... He suggested forwarding the Sydney office my CV etc and applying on my behalf; Im more keen to apply myself, but wouldn't mind acknowledging the connection with the old man just in case it might give me a little bit extra consideration. Im not to sure how to go about it, I don't want it to seem as if I'm one of those punks whose parents got them the job, but on the other hand, wouldn't mind using the connection as an advantage.... He's pretty high up in his dept. in London, I work in a completely different sector of business... What does everyone reckon the best way to go about it is..

Thank Post
    Some places are part of the recruitment process ask whether you were referred by an existing employee (kick backs for the employee) or in some cases a referral by an existing employee gets you a telephone interview beyond paper sifting.

Tricky one to tell really..

3. Thanks to kmount from:

RabbieBurns (12th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    A lot of jobs are got through word of mouth, and there's absolutely no shame in it. A recommendation from an existing employee can go a long way.

5. Thanks to jamesb from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I agree with the recommendation from an existing employee being advantageous.. I've cashed in on it before myself, and got a good friend a job that way too... In this case, I'm keen to use the existing employee connection as an advantage too, but its a bit different as its a family member - especially a parent... I'd be more inclined to just mention the connection in the covering letter, and then maybe him send a follow up email.. rather than have him forward my CV etc directly?

I've had no luck out here for work for 4 months now, so anything I can use to my advantage the better..

Thank Post
    I'd apply in writing and say something like, "I became aware of the vacancy through your London office where my father is ....". Gets the connection in, mentions that he's important, but doesn't look like he's foisting you on them since he's not actively involved in the process.

8. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

Thank Post
    A job's a job, anyway you get it.

I'd rather have someone recommend me and get it, than apply and fail without the recommendation. My grand-mother did this for me when I did casual work at De Beers in South Africa. I had no shame in her getting me the job at all, and I did it well, so they were most pleased.

Sometimes recommendations or assistance from internal sources provide better candidates as the source knows all too well what you can do.

10. Thanks to ahuxham from:

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    I've got 3 of my previous jobs through reccomendations, they go alot further than just a piece of paper which will in most cases go straight in the bin

12. Thanks to Midget from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you don't want to mention your Dad then phrase it something like... "I was informed of possible vacancies by a relative working out of the London office." It then opens up the discussion about who your relative is and if the company is in any way nepotistic they will be happy to chat about it and use it to your benefit, or if they are strictly anti-nepotism (even in the slightest hint of it) the door can remain firmly closed.

In the past I have been given access to applying for jobs due to family (letting me know vacancies were around, being tutored how to pass interviews, inside knowledge of how a company or establishment works), but always got it on my own merits. The only time I have been at the point of a family member being on the interview panel we both declared the conflict and a replacement panel member was found. *That* caused me grief actually ... apparently I got an easier ride as the replacement panel member was nowhere the level of interrogation that I would have had otherwise ... so sometimes you just can't win!

14. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    I think you should apply yourself but mention your dad - and I also think that your dad could track it and maybe speak informally with the department concerned, once he knows your CV is sent.
    No shame in using your contacts at all - I'm sure you would be good enough to get the job on your own merits, but if you've got connetions, flaunt 'em!!

16. Thanks to witch from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread