+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, TV without tuner in General; I don't have a TV license, since I don't watch broadcast television. However I'm now considering (since my tax rebate ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

TV without tuner

I don't have a TV license, since I don't watch broadcast television. However I'm now considering (since my tax rebate is finally coming through) getting a better television than my little CRT screen.

The problem is that I've had enough fuss and bother with the licensing lot in trying to prove that I don't watch tv before, so I'd like to find one which doesn't have a built-in tuner. SCART and RGB inputs are important, but nothing else really matters. I'm also not that interested in HD.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    buy a 22" WS monitor and get a scart vga converter?

3. Thanks to RabbieBurns from:

jamesb (10th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Projector?

Quite a lot of W/S monitors have composite inputs, or if you have a HD source, you can go HDMI/DVI

5. Thanks to DrPerceptron from:

richard_s
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    I don't have a TV license, since I don't watch broadcast television. However I'm now considering (since my tax rebate is finally coming through) getting a better television than my little CRT screen.
    So I am not alone........

7. Thanks to richard_s from:

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    buy a normal TV and just don't plug in an ariel or tune any channels. They have to prove you've been watching live broadcasts not the other way around

9. Thanks to Midget from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think you have to prove you dont watch TV , when you purchase any TV they register your details with the agency and if the unit has a tuner you have to prove you dont use it,

11. Thanks to CPLTD from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    buy a normal TV and just don't plug in an ariel or tune any channels. They have to prove you've been watching live broadcasts not the other way around
    I know, but I don't feel like receiving letters from them again until I get around to calling in the big guns and making them send me a formal apology. Once is enough for that. I've got it framed.

Quote Originally Posted by richard_s
    So I am not alone........
    Nope, about 1 in 20 people don't pay the tv tax according to the last set of statistics I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns
    Not a bad idea but I've currently got a 24" screen and was looking to get something bigger. I'm just having trouble finding something without a tuner.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You want a moniter rather than a TV, here are some from UK ebay
    Sony 40" Flat Panel LCD Pro Display, Black FWD-40LX2FB on eBay (end time 04-Sep-09 10:18:57 BST)
    Sony LCD Monitor 40" Flat Panel LCD Pro Display Black F on eBay (end time 28-Aug-09 13:31:42 BST)
    Sony 40" LCD Monitor FWD-40LX2FS Silver FWD-40LX2F/S on eBay (end time 28-Aug-09 13:31:53 BST)

Not that I recommend Sony or even eBay but it was a convenient place to look. It might be an idea to talk to some of the sponsers that offer the signage stuff as they are likely to be able to get these cheaper and may have a better selection.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-SM400MXn-Inch-LCD-Display/dp/B001ILHL1Q/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1249915442&s r=8-26"]Samsung SM400MXn 40 Inch LCD Display: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

14. Thanks to SYNACK from:

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    buy a TV online and get it delivered to a place with a tv licence?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    I thought it wasn't a licence for watching tv but to licence the equipment which is capable of receiving the signal. Thus the argument that you dont watch tv is mute.

Thank Post
    Yep.. have to agree with a lot of these posts.

If you have not cable to plug the TV into the ariel socket and the TV is not tuned into any channels they cannot do jack!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    I thought it wasn't a licence for watching tv but to licence the equipment which is capable of receiving the signal. Thus the argument that you dont watch tv is mute.
    You're right, it is a license for equipment capable of viewing broadcasts. But... if you've not got it tuned in, and don't have an aerial plugged in, you don't have equipment capable of viewing them.

This was confirmed, after a long argument, by the TVL people to me.

Also, the phrase is 'moot'

However, I understand the OP's not wanting to go through the hassle of arguing with them - they are not nice people, and getting them to accept what the actual law states is hard work. However, they only disable notices on an account for 9 months, so you'll be getting notices again at some point anyway.
    Last edited by localzuk; 10th August 2009 at 10:40 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    I would buy a bigger one, 24-30". It depends on the size of your room really. As for TV Licensing you could spend hours on the phone or writing letters to them or you could just ignore them. Realistically they will only ever send letters but a visit is unlikely and if they do that is the time to show them you have no tuner.

TV Licensing enforces the BBC's statutory obligation to ensure that every address where a television licence is required is correctly licensed, but its agents have no special rights and, like any other member of the public, rely on an implied right of access to reach the front door. The occupants of a visited property may deny an agent entry to the premises without cause and are under no obligation to answer any questions or enter into any conversation. If an agent has evidence that television is being watched or recorded illegally but is denied entry by the occupants so that (s)he cannot verify the suspicion without trespassing, then TV Licensing may apply to a magistrate for a search warrant, but the use of such warrants is rare.
    So you can ignore their letters and if they come to the door you can tell them to go away. The onus is on TVL to prove you are breaking the law to the court which they will never be able to do as you are not.

Thank Post
    Although slightly wandering off topic, when you have a £132M a year business (2007 figures) to "protect", driving around in a few "TV Detector Vans" and sending "scary" letters seems like chicken feed

See RFI20080008 - Enforcement and collection costs (PDF)

mb

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Got a warning letter when I was living alone.

"You've recently purchased hardware from Ebuyer.com capable of receiving a TV signal. We note you do not have a TV Licence at your address" with the usual faff about paying up now or else, etc etc.

The hardware bought? A graphics card. Geforce Ti4200 if memory serves me, going way back in the day. Capable of receiving TV? Nope. Had a TV output facility and that was it. Spent 4 weeks in written "discussions" with the idiots at TV Licensing basically trying to say it didn't have any such capability, they've been wrongly informed, and if they'd like to try and visit me, I'll insert it in them. After having sent them a printed copy of the specifications, highlighting the TV output only bit. I got a letter back explaining that was the part that requires me to have a licence. Ignored it, and never had anything back.

They do often come across as opportunists. In this case though - there are some monitors you can buy with RGB inputs, but not sure which :/ Was very popular on CRTs.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast