+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
General Chat Thread, TV without tuner in General; Originally Posted by Gibbo There is a lot of rubbish and conjecture on this thread. On this page it clearly ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    There is a lot of rubbish and conjecture on this thread.

On this page it clearly states:

Do I need a TV licence?

You need a TV licence to use any television receiving equipment - such as a TV set, set-top box, video or DVD recorder, computer or mobile phone - to watch or record TV programmes as they are being shown on TV.

So if you are watching or recording a TV programme, then you need a licence.

You don't need one just because you own a TV.

It's like the old CB licence. You can buy a CB radio and aerial, but so long as you don't join the two together and transmit or receive you didn't need a licence.

And remember when you do buy TV equipment - it's a legal obligation to supply a name and address. But it's not a legal obligation to provide yours or a real one!
    If you purchase equipment capable of receiving then you need a liceince trust me Ive been to court for this,

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    If you purchase equipment capable of receiving then you need a liceince trust me Ive been to court for this,
    This, as has been explained multiple times, is not the case. A court case would have to prove that you were using it to watch TV.

TV Licensing - TV Licence Information - This is the definitive site for this, as they're the ones who collect the fee and enforce the law.

Thank Post
    This, as has been explained multiple times
    Not at all patronising!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by riskyburden View Post
    Not at all patronising!
    No, I was just being blunt. I am blunt often on here... Are you intending to follow me around the forum and make glib comments then?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by riskyburden View Post
    Not at all patronising!
    But correct
    Interestingly, the TV Licensing site information must be reasonably new. It certainly wasn't like that a year or two ago when I had conversations with them.
    It certainly does appear there are now easy ways to go without a license (if you don't watch broadcast TV and just reply on iPlayer etc - definately wasn't the case when I looked previously)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    But correct
    Interestingly, the TV Licensing site information must be reasonably new. It certainly wasn't like that a year or two ago when I had conversations with them.
    It certainly does appear there are now easy ways to go without a license (if you don't watch broadcast TV and just reply on iPlayer etc - definately wasn't the case when I looked previously)
    Yep, it is definitely new. Their site used to just say you needed a license if you used a TV. Maybe it's down to the recent BBC Trust consultation which had the conclusion that information was unclear on the subject.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    No, I was just being blunt. I am blunt often on here... Are you intending to follow me around the forum and make glib comments then?
    There's an idea :P

Interesting how it would work with a mobile phone, some phones can display live TV but how does that work with regard to your license. Does your home license cover you watching in the street, on the bus, at work, at a friends house, on holiday, at a second home etc etc
    Last edited by somabc; 12th August 2009 at 01:57 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post

Interesting how it would work with a mobile phone, some phones can display live TV but how does that work with regard to your license. Does your home license cover you watching in the street, on the bus, at work, at a friends house, on holiday, at a second home etc etc
    I'd guess it is like the way your home license covers you when you're out in a touring caravan etc...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post

Your home license covers you with any battery powered device away from home. As soon as you plug your phone into the mains, at a premises without a TV license, it then becomes illegal.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/07/bbc_wi_fi/

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234