+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, TV without tuner in General; Originally Posted by mb2k01 As far as I'm aware (and i've previously done a bit of research as I considered ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    As far as I'm aware (and i've previously done a bit of research as I considered going down this avenue myself!), any equipment capable of showing a UK television program (BBC, ITV or other) means that you need a TV license.

BBC IPlayer via a standard TFT is also included within this definition (or at least was when I explored it?)

The reason I didn't go down that avenue, as another poster has said, is that while I might resent paying it, it is almost insignificant enough not to worry about over the course of a year. When I also add on the fact that I want Sky Sports it's a no-brainer really.

If you want to start a decent protest then concentrate on arguing not to pay council tax!
    The rule is regarding being able to watch something at the time of original broadcast. So, if you are watching the latest Dr Who on iPlayer at the same time as it is being broadcast live for the first time, then you need a license. If you just go back and watch it a few weeks later, you don't need a license.

Again, this was explained to me by someone at TVL, after a long time arguing with them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The rule is regarding being able to watch something at the time of original broadcast. So, if you are watching the latest Dr Who on iPlayer at the same time as it is being broadcast live for the first time, then you need a license. If you just go back and watch it a few weeks later, you don't need a license.

Again, this was explained to me by someone at TVL, after a long time arguing with them.
    Thats correct as far as I am aware as well. Although apparently one of the reasons the BBC are adding the live TV streaming to the iPlayer (available in Beta elsewhere on the site) is to get around this.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    The Licence Fee is NOT just for the BBC, but the running of the network that ITV, Ch4 and Ch5 run across and for developing and maintaining the FreeView network

Thank Post
    If you intend on watching TV/Sky leave it until they come round, as they threaten to fine you etc in those nasty letters but as long as you plead ignorant ie oh I've just purchased a tv or moved into this house then you'll pay the same.

If you are going to use it for playing games and watching films then buy a monitor as that doesn't need to be registered. P.s. the hitachi plasma we have has at least two of every connection you'll ever need ie scart rgb dv

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamoire View Post
    Thats correct as far as I am aware as well. Although apparently one of the reasons the BBC are adding the live TV streaming to the iPlayer (available in Beta elsewhere on the site) is to get around this.
    Live streaming has been available for ages on the main player has it not?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post

Thank Post
    Looks like it is if your screenshot is anything to go by. I cant seen to see how to get to when I just looked though.

TBF I cant remember the last time I used the online version, allways use the iPlayer via Virgin TV.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamoire View Post
    Looks like it is if your screenshot is anything to go by. I cant seen to see how to get to when I just looked though.

TBF I cant remember the last time I used the online version, allways use the iPlayer via Virgin TV.
    Go to Iplayer, click on Channels, click on BBC1, click on Watch Now..

Something along those lines...

Thank Post
    As a network as a whole, absolutely. 5 or 6 Radio channels, however many TV channels, its pretty damn good. Most of the shows on ABC over here are BBC shows bought in.

However the US individual channels put on better individual shows, HBO for example with the wire, true blood, etc
    Yeah but the point is we also get all the best US shows whether from HBO, NBC, CBS, FOX or whatever and we get the BBC & Channel 4 so the best of both worlds. Most American TV is either adverts or rubbish TV programmes.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    Yeah but the point is we also get all the best US shows whether from HBO, NBC, CBS, FOX or whatever and we get the BBC & Channel 4 so the best of both worlds. Most American TV is either adverts or rubbish TV programmes.
    Who do you have to be with in England to get the US tv channels ?

I remember watching venom ER and a few other programs that we dont get out here and would be good to have them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by riskyburden View Post
    If you are going to use it for playing games and watching films then buy a monitor as that doesn't need to be registered. P.s. the hitachi plasma we have has at least two of every connection you'll ever need ie scart rgb dv
    so if you get a TFT or in the above mentioned instance a hitachi plasma or the likes that does not have a tuner and in say x amount of months you get or subscribe to sky or virgin media tv services do you still have to pay the tv license then or how would that side of it work ?

Thank Post
    Well it obvious TV signal and a like = TV licence. No TV no licence simples..... (Sky counts as TV, as its TV)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    The Licence Fee is NOT just for the BBC, but the running of the network that ITV, Ch4 and Ch5 run across and for developing and maintaining the FreeView network
    ITV, Ch4 and Ch5's have always paid their own way (from advertising) in terms of distribution networks and transmitters, although since the introduction of UHF the transmitters have been co-sited with the BBC (the BBC and the IBA owned roughly half each), for both economy reasons at the transmitting end and so that most people would only require a single aerial, as opposed to the previous 405 line system where BBC(1) was from one transmitter and ITV from a different site entirely, requiring a seperate aerial.

The Freeview network is actually several seperate networks, and the license fee only pays for the BBC's bit AFAIK.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by riskyburden View Post
    Well it obvious TV signal and a like = TV licence. No TV no licence simples..... (Sky counts as TV, as its TV)
    I understand that but you pay for that service and thats not apart of the tv license fee unless I am missing something - obviously my HD TV has an inbuilt free view box so do get sky 3 and dave and a few other bits n pieces

Thank Post
    I don't know the in's and out's of it, but I think because you get terrestrial channels on sky you still have to pay for the licence. Anyway just to reiterate if you watch tv pay the fee or wait the attention of the licence people and pay when they pop round for a brew. If you don't watch TV then don't worry consider it as TV licence banter.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast