+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, TV without tuner in General; Im quite surprised at the amount of folk here claiming not to have any broadcast TV in the house. Do ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Im quite surprised at the amount of folk here claiming not to have any broadcast TV in the house. Do you not have a girlfriend/wife that wants to watch Eastenders and such? Do you never watch sport? Or the news?

For the sake of 120UKP or whatever it is, a year, its not much at all. Could spend that in the pub on a Friday after work.

Thank Post
    If you plan to use a TV but just not plug the aerial in please remember to make sure that ALL channels are de-tuned away from the proper receivable channels.

I remember reading that even if you only get a ghostly reception - but can still receive they will say that you can watch TV - so make sure that you manually de-tune the TV first.

Thank Post
    The TV license is nothing more than a Tax. The digital switchover would have been ideal to make broadcasts encrypted, therefore when you bought your new Digi-Box, you accepted that you had to pay to receive the new signal. Everyone that wasn't interested could then keep their old TV and happily watch their film collection.

Of course, that would have been too good an idea, and it is now too late.

The BBC is a pile of pants these days. The news alone is the most patronising, VI infested pile of rubbish I've come across in a long time.

They should continue their nature and wildlife documentaries as these are world class, but we should have the choice as to weather we want to watch them.

I'm happy to just watch films on my HD LCD, but I'm not allowed to without paying a tax.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    Im quite surprised at the amount of folk here claiming not to have any broadcast TV in the house. Do you not have a girlfriend/wife that wants to watch Eastenders and such? Do you never watch sport? Or the news?
    Nope. Nope and nope. I occasionally watch iPlayer, but I've only done that since checking that it doesn't require a license (and its only for Doctor Who and the Sarah Jane Adventures).

I do listen to the radio for news and a few shows on BBC 7. No license required for that.

If I want to watch something I'll usually buy it on DVD or add it to my Blockbuster list.

My screen gets used for watching DVDs and gaming, as well as having a slideshow display when I'm not using it for something else, or streaming one of the music internet channels (I've got one of the original prototype Steamiums, wonderful little thing).

None of this requires a tv license and I'm stubborn, so I refuse to pay even a negligible amount for something that I'm not using, and have no intention of using. Its a license, not a tax.

I've got better things to do than watching the idiot box, such as fighting the Man.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by siuko View Post
    If you plan to use a TV but just not plug the aerial in please remember to make sure that ALL channels are de-tuned away from the proper receivable channels.

I remember reading that even if you only get a ghostly reception - but can still receive they will say that you can watch TV - so make sure that you manually de-tune the TV first.
    How do you detune a freeview box?

The BBC is a pile of pants these days. The news alone is the most patronising, VI infested pile of rubbish I've come across in a long time.
    The BBC is much better than any other TV network I have seen, certainly better than anything in the USA or Europe.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 2,021 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    I doubt you can. However if you have no aerial (not just not plugged in), then freeview is impossible to receive.

Thank Post
    I doubt you can de-tune a freeview box too....

But if you arent watching any broadcasted TV channels why do you need a freeview box? (Well unless its built into the TV)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post

The BBC is much better than any other TV network I have seen, certainly better than anything in the USA or Europe.
    As a network as a whole, absolutely. 5 or 6 Radio channels, however many TV channels, its pretty damn good. Most of the shows on ABC over here are BBC shows bought in.

However the US individual channels put on better individual shows, HBO for example with the wire, true blood, etc

Thank Post
    We have a TV licence in my partner's name, although I'm listed on the direct debit details (joint account, alphabetical order). Last year I bought a new TV and got the routine letters which were quite threatening in tone because their checks didn't show a licence in my name at this address.

I was quite cross, since it seemed quite a quite opportunistic and bullying way to operate. In principle I did nothing - I refused to call them on the 0870 number they kindly provided, since it would have cost me money. Eventually the letters stopped coming and I forgot about it.

Whilst I watch mostly BBC, I still object to the licence fee as a tax on tv, especially when you consider how many channels you get from Sky etc for not much more. And don't get me started about the money they waste on high salaries, web sites etc, or how they launch more channels and claim they need more money to keep them going. Share out the licence fee in the interim and abolish it for something fairer.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post

For the sake of 120UKP or whatever it is, a year, its not much at all. Could spend that in the pub on a Friday after work.
    If you use a TFT ( not hd tv or anything with a tuner in it ) and in some way shape or form have your computer attached to a large TFT and use bbc iplayer, itv player, etc does that not count ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fiendishlyclever View Post
    We have a TV licence in my partner's name, although I'm listed on the direct debit details (joint account, alphabetical order). Last year I bought a new TV and got the routine letters which were quite threatening in tone because their checks didn't show a licence in my name at this address.

I was quite cross, since it seemed quite a quite opportunistic and bullying way to operate. In principle I did nothing - I refused to call them on the 0870 number they kindly provided, since it would have cost me money. Eventually the letters stopped coming and I forgot about it.

Whilst I watch mostly BBC, I still object to the licence fee as a tax on tv, especially when you consider how many channels you get from Sky etc for not much more. And don't get me started about the money they waste on high salaries, web sites etc, or how they launch more channels and claim they need more money to keep them going. Share out the licence fee in the interim and abolish it for something fairer.
    @ Sky not being much more I was looking at that the other day and I only had the variety package, kids package and movies package selected and they wanted £70 a month, Just for TV ?

where as virgin media I could pay £57 a month and get xxl packages across the board ie tv, phone and broadband.

So not sure how sky is not much more because that seemed a hell of a lot more just for tv and movies, thats excluding sports or anything else

I agree on the tv license bit - in the USA you dont pay a tv license you just buy a tv and to get tv you have to pay for sky or cable tv and they make there cash that way

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    @ Sky not being much more I was looking at that the other day and I only had the variety package, kids package and movies package selected and they wanted £70 a month, Just for TV ?
    What?? I have every channel with Sky, including Sports + Movies, phone line + broadband for £49 a month?! That was with a free install + box + £50 M&S Vouchers!!

I don't understand why we can't opt out of having BBC, like you can opt out of having Sky Sports for instance? I don't even watch BBC but still have to pay for the licence. Annoys me...

Thank Post

Thank Post
    As far as I'm aware (and i've previously done a bit of research as I considered going down this avenue myself!), any equipment capable of showing a UK television program (BBC, ITV or other) means that you need a TV license.

BBC IPlayer via a standard TFT is also included within this definition (or at least was when I explored it?)

The reason I didn't go down that avenue, as another poster has said, is that while I might resent paying it, it is almost insignificant enough not to worry about over the course of a year. When I also add on the fact that I want Sky Sports it's a no-brainer really.

If you want to start a decent protest then concentrate on arguing not to pay council tax!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You only need a licence if you watch live broadcast on the iplayer. Watching it on demand after it's aired doesn't require a license.

I watch the iplayer via my proxy back home while I'm over here. I tried to ask them if I was allowed to do it, 3 times, and just got some bog standard generic response that I wouldnt be able to watch blah blah, so I dont care if Im allowed to or not. They couldnt quite comprehend that I am and do watch it here.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast