+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Freesat HD, is it worth it in General; I have FreeSat, it's crap and has less channels than FreeView (mainly the channels I actually want to watch like ...
    In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    I have FreeSat, it's crap and has less channels than FreeView (mainly the channels I actually want to watch like DAVE). When you cancel they'll switch your card over to freesat if you ask.

I use tvcatchup which is basically freeview online for all live tv watching these days.

2. Thanks to Midget from:

CPLTD (10th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    To get the HD channels you will need a HD satellite reciever, a normal sky box wont work. I use a Fortec Star HD model which was lower price range than the Dreambox I fancied. Got the dish on a disq motor as well, but never quite got it configured properly before I left.

It picks up the freeview HD chans no problem, also has 2 CAM slots, and one of the CAMs Ive got accepts a sky card, so can pop that in when I want to watch a sky channel. It doesnt have the sky EPG obviously, and the Sky HD channels dont work withouth an extra tenner a month subscription, even in a HD box - it must be a flag set or something similar to sky+

Freesat is basically jut a brand/gimmick. Any HD Sat reciever and a dish will pick up the free satellite channels.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    PS. Ive also got a subscription to ART sports and Aljezeera Sports, which do loads of Scottish, English and Spanish Football, as well as the Champions League etc.

Thank Post
    The only compelling reason to go for Freesat rather than Sky is that Freesat has ITV HD.

Incidentally if you go into add channels on a Sky box you can add the other ITV regions - Westcountry is a much higher bitrate and resolution than the other versions, which are generally pretty poor.

Ironically, the reason for this is that they're using the satellite transmission to feed some of the analogue transmitters now they've closed Westcountry's studios and merged it with HTV (as was) and it wasn't worth getting a proper circuit back to London put in for the length of time those transmitters will be on the air for.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    This Autumn I know that Freeview HD is being launched, but it's just going to confuse more people in my eyes. They should just leave Freeview as it is and introduce more HD content on Freesat and Sky.
    Some people (me??) will be confused whatever happens but I can't see a reason not to put HD on Freeview. As I understand it, part of the reason for digital switchover is to free bandwidth for this to happen.

If you live in rented accommodation then it may not be easy to fit a satellite dish but you can often just use an internal aerial for Freeview (although obviously not for the original poster). If this works then it's easy to buy a really cheap (<£30) USB TV Tuner and you can have TV on your computer (and I'd guess most people here have a computer)

I don't know how soon you'll be able to get HD Freeview on a PC but I can't see why it shouldn't be possible.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    It shouldn't really make any difference with regards to rented accommodation (so long as you have permission), but you are allowed by law to have two satellites. One upto 1 metre in size and a second no larger than 60cm.

The quality of a satellite signal is easily better than an aerial and because the difference in price is a matter of pence, it makes sense to go the satellite route. It also means manufacturers need to make yet another box, as no current Freeview box supports HD channels.

As I understand it digital offers better visual and sound quality, but the number of available frequencies is far greater than analogue for lots more channels than we have available today.

Thank Post
    As I understand it digital offers better visual and sound quality, but the number of available frequencies is far greater than analogue for lots more channels than we have available today.
    Debatable really, digital can look and sound great, or it can look terrible when the broadcasters try to shoehorn in too many channels so they are each at a very low bitrate. You can either have a modest number of decent quality channels, or a load that look crap.

Very much like DAB radio - where several services are in mono so they can cram in more stations.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Micheal, Interested in more info of that law.. We've got at least 4 dishes

Thank Post
    Debatable really, digital can look and sound great, or it can look terrible when the broadcasters try to shoehorn in too many channels
    That's just it. Digital is definitely better than analogue, but it is ultimately upto the broadcasters what quality they want to broadcast in. In the UK it's generally pretty good overall. One channel that was always poor was Setanta and look what happened to them!

Interested in more info of that law
    Have a look here on page 6. This is for England.

Thank Post
    Thank you for the comments guy,

that is intresting about the Sky Dish thing, I wonder what route i should take, It is a shame about Dave, and I do not get why a Freeview channel is not avaiable on Freesat, probably costs or something, or the way that it is transmitted through the Satalite network.

There are, as far as i know, some MPEG-4 HD Freeview boxes being released, but i think Freesat HD is going to be a bit more reliable, but I think is it wrong that Channel 4 only offers their service through Sky

Thank Post
    It is a shame about Dave
    I've heard several theories about this. In the case of Dave one theory is because they show many repeats of BBC programs like Top Gear or Red Dwarf that these are copyrighted so must be broadcasted encrypted, but I dismiss this as anyone (even outside the UK) can point their dish at Astra 2 and receive all the BBC channels we have to pay for through a television license.

The second more plausible theory is Sky subsidise channels in addition to advertising revenue, which is where channels like Dave make their money. The reason it's available on Freeview and not Freesat is because of a license restriction thanks to Sky.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It shouldn't really make any difference with regards to rented accommodation (so long as you have permission), but you are allowed by law to have two satellites. One upto 1 metre in size and a second no larger than 60cm.
    Key thing is permission! Not all landlords will give it and even when you own you might not be allowed if the property is leasehold and the lease forbids it (I own my flat in a block of flats; we do now have a communal satellite dish but it's not allowed to install dishes other than that)

Thank Post
    I've heard several theories about this. In the case of Dave one theory is because they show many repeats of BBC programs like Top Gear or Red Dwarf that these are copyrighted so must be broadcasted encrypted, but I dismiss this as anyone (even outside the UK) can point their dish at Astra 2 and receive all the BBC channels we have to pay for through a television license.
    To misquote Shakespear, 2B or not 2B, that is the question.

Channels that are on Astra 2B are receivable Europe-wide and will either be encrypted, shopping channels or paying through the nose for Europe-wide programme rights.

Astra 2D has a beam with a very much tighter footprint aimed at the UK and Ireland. This is where you will find the BBC and most of ITV (although a few regions are on 2B). Whilst you can pick it up in Europe with a big enough dish, it seems to placate the rights holders for movies, sport etc that it is only UK-wide coverage and so FTA is "safe".

Thank Post
    Well I just had a look on dishpointer (a really useful site) and from Madrid, Spain (a random location I chose), I'd need a 90cm dish to pick up channels on Astra 2.

In Berlin, Germany I need a 50cm dish. In Rome, Italy I need a 70cm dish. In Paris, France I need a 50cm dish. I can't see how this can satisfy the rights holders

Thank Post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12