+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Possible new tax on the motorist!? in General; ...
    Thank Post

Angry Possible new tax on the motorist!?

Thank Post
    AKA..The C-Charge in Stealth Mode...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not sure why this has hit the news again - it's been talked about for years!

In some ways it can be seen as a not unreasonable tax; if you get free parking at work then that's effectively a benefit which probably ought to be taxed just like company cars and other benefits in kind. If you look at how much a driver would have to pay to park on the street it could easily be more than £5 per day (very much more where I work) so £250 a year is pretty reasonable (income tax on £5 a day is more than £250 per year)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 978 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post

In some ways it can be seen as a not unreasonable tax; if you get free parking at work then that's effectively a benefit which probably ought to be taxed just like company cars and other benefits in kind. If you look at how much a driver would have to pay to park on the street it could easily be more than £5 per day (very much more where I work) so £250 a year is pretty reasonable (income tax on £5 a day is more than £250 per year)
    Pay enough taxes without another one thanks

Pay road tax and look at the states of roads ( could be a heck of a lot better then they are with everyone paying road tax )

5. 2 Thanks to mac_shinobi:

Batman (1st August 2009), Oops_my_bad (31st July 2009)

Thank Post
    It's ridiculous. Where I used to work was 12 miles away from my home. Used to take about 30 mins in the car (traffic in city centre).

I used the bus to get to work once:
    -50 Minute walk to the nearest Bus stop
    -First morning bus left 3 hours before work started
    -Got to work approx 20 mins late

-Finished work
    -Hour and 20 minute wait for bus
    -Home at 8:30PM after another 50 minute walk in the rain

This is when I lived in rural Lincolnshire. Public transport does not work if you are not in a developed zone - end of story. The amount of stuff I had to carry to and from work used to only just fit in my car boot - I'd have no chance of carrying it on public transport. So why should I have to pay £250 to not suffer like that every day?

Thank Post
    So the council, can tax private property more just because a car might park on it. I suppose they should raise the council tax to pay for enforcement too (like the tax grab on residential streets near the empty town center the residents fund and the council profits at both ends). Why do they need more? I Or is it because people will accept, even justify it?

We already pay 70% tax for fuel to travel to work, plus 15-17% on the car and all parts. Plus road tax. Plus 'Residents parking permits'. Plus council tax. Plus the tax on the wages you earnt to pay for it all in the first place.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 31st July 2009 at 06:22 PM.

Thank Post
    Don't let Oldham MBC hear that suggestion - they already make those who PAY their council tax pay for "Unpaid Council Tax"

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Don't let Oldham MBC hear that suggestion - they already make those who PAY their council tax pay for "Unpaid Council Tax"
    You might as well say "Don't let Tesco hear that; they already make those who PAY for their shopping pay for shoplifting"

that's the way the world works - some people always try and rip off the system and those of us who are honest have to pick up the pieces.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post

Thats because you are based in London. Many of us in the provinces have to travel quite some distances by car to work, and often there is no alternative to your company\school car park. Using the excuse that it is classed as a 'benefit' they could also include the oxygen we breath, and whack a tax on that. Besides, if your contract or terms of employemnt does not state that you on site parking is a benefit then surely it is a requirment. This govt has already made some pretty tragic decisions recently, but to actually tax people for going to work would be s step to far, and teh industrial action which would ensue does not bare thinking about.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    So the council, can tax private property more just because a car might park on it. I suppose they should raise the council tax to pay for enforcement too (like the tax grab on residential streets near the empty town center the residents fund and the council profits at both ends). Why do they need more? I Or is it because people will accept, even justify it?

We already pay 70% tax for fuel to travel to work, plus 15-17% on the car and all parts. Plus road tax. Plus 'Residents parking permits'. Plus council tax. Plus the tax on the wages you earnt to pay for it all in the first place.
    it's not on is it really ? Forcing people to alter behaviours through the use of taxation. OK, most people don't disagree with that deep down....but then they have to suffer the abysmal public transport as the alternative.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    but to actually tax people for going to work would be s step to far,
    VAT on fuel was a step too far but it happened thanks to the Tories, oh and don't forget the Poll Tax...but with all parties, if they think they can get away with it, they will.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Thats because you are based in London. Many of us in the provinces have to travel quite some distances by car to work, and often there is no alternative to your company\school car park. Using the excuse that it is classed as a 'benefit' they could also include the oxygen we breath, and whack a tax on that. Besides, if your contract or terms of employemnt does not state that you on site parking is a benefit then surely it is a requirment. This govt has already made some pretty tragic decisions recently, but to actually tax people for going to work would be s step to far, and teh industrial action which would ensue does not bare thinking about.
    i'm thinking the councils should actually implement this in such a way so as to tax city centre locations primarily.....that's where most of the traffic headaches exist.
    And that's presumably what they want to try and influence, not you driving six miles to work in Preston and parking in a school carpark or whatever.

Commutes into and out of central locations, so as srochford says....you could have a city centre location [where space is at a premium anyway] and they have an underground free carpark or free onsite carpark location while other workers at other companies have to make do with pay and display onstreet, or parking a great deal of distance away from their place of work.

There is an unfairness, and if taxation is going to influence behaviour as an attempt to reduce congestion on key routes, then it's only fair that you apply it to the hidden menace of free employee carparking in city centres and the like

Thank Post
    @torledo: It's very well saying that councils should work it that but we all know how councils work and the logistics of taxing some and not others is a nightmare too - where do draw the line? It's destined to failure and open to abuse.

Likewise, a £250 tax for me would be unavoidable. The first bus heading in thright direction from my house is about 10am. I hate to think about how many different buses I would need to get too.

If we had an acceptable public transport system I would say it was fair. As it stands, we don't so we may as well tax people for getting out of bed!

Thank Post
    If they really wanted to alter behaviour they'd make petrol for cars 10x more expensive, but they dont because its a valuable source of income, so it goes 3 steps forward and 1 back, repeat.

This is a normalising tax, get it in and it'll become normal, and creep up just like every other tax.

If they really want to change behaviour, it would be a systematic change. Not enough to make people change a thing, A £5 a week charge isn't anything but a cash cow. They know this game well.

Thank Post
    I think most people miss the main issue, for me it is anyway. The cost of public transport. If (where i live its west midlands travel or was) they know that more and more people are to start using the public transport then the cost doesn't go down. It goes up. So the more people use the public crap the more it'll cost everyone. So no-one wins apart from the owners/council who can say that they met their quota for CO2 emissions.

When i used to use the buses it cost some like £2.50 for a day-saver. I think that is now nearly double. The last time i purchased one of those was around 2003. That's not that long ago.

And what about the folks that suffer from travel sickness when on a coach/bus? I, personally only suffer badly on coaches/buses but never in a car

Anyway, my 2p

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast