+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
General Chat Thread, Possible new tax on the motorist!? in General; Originally Posted by Martin If you looked at the true cost, i bet that cars would be cheaper, as well ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    If you looked at the true cost, i bet that cars would be cheaper, as well as more convenient, more practical, more flexible, and when the public transport workers decide to go on strike - you can still get home!

mb
    Not sure about the true cost side of it ( as I don't want to get into a debate about it but as for more convenient etc I totally agree

Thank Post
    I used to use public transport for work. If I left work on time my next train would be in 25 mins (they came at just before the half hour) the bus had to catch at the other end was a coin toss on wether it would come, turn up, be early or late. An hour would be the average it would take me, normally longer though. If I stayed too late the trains would cut to 1 an hour and the buses would get even more random in their timings or just stop. Staff socials were a no.
    To get in I would have a choice of being 25mins early to work or 15 mins late. I had to catch the first bus or I had no choice but to get the later train & infact if the first bus was delayed or didn't turn up (which happened often) I may as well head home and wait for a much later train as there was a huge gap between the 2 trains compared to the buses.
    By my own transport it takes 20-35 mins on average, depending on when I leave. I get to leave when I feel I need to, I can pop in on a friend on the way back or come back in to socials.
    I did love training it in, I could listen to music or podcasts & read a book. I had some time of my own, great thinking time. But there was no way I could rely on it. or seriously use it for anything other than peak time use. So without even looking at the cost public transport loses. & i think that is a huge factor for many people.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Taking into account all things, its much cheaper for me to drive to work than to walk or use public transport.

Driving - 6 minutes, LPG engine so works out around £1 for fuel at most. Same travelling home. The van's cheap to maintain (and the cost should be fairly spread around all the travelling I do, so with an upkeep of maybe £1500 a year including tax and insurance and a mileage over 10 000 I'm paying £0.15 per mile for upkeep. Work is four miles by road, so we're looking at under £2 per journey)

Bus - £2.90 into town after a maximum of an hour's wait at the bus stop. Average wait is twenty minutes. Then a further £2 to work afterwards. Total time taken is at least an hour, and that's on a good day. It can take that long to get into town, then its another half-hour wait for a bus to work, and as much as a half-hour again into work. Call it an average of an hour. £4.90 per journey.

Walking - Despite the fact that work is four miles by road that's an A road, bordered on both sides by private fields. In order for me to walk into work is ten mile trek. Free, but uses up 2.5 hours.

Now given that I consider my time to be valuable, even if I just assign it a value of £2 per hour, driving is by far and away the only sensible way for me to travel to work.

I actually rate my time a bit higher than that since for example having time before I leave for work means I can make myself breakfast, and a lunch. Otherwise I'd be looking at buying one. Equally coming home late leaves me rarely wanting to cook, so a quick trip home saves money there too.

It doesn't matter how many sticks they try to throw at me, the van is simply the most sensible option. A carrot in the form of a quick, easy trip to work by bus might persuade me otherwise however.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345