+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Possible new tax on the motorist!? in General; The bit that goes up in firstly the cost of the fuel, and with that the VAT imposed on the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    The bit that goes up in firstly the cost of the fuel, and with that the VAT imposed on the total price of the fuel and duty.
    You're right, I got it the wrong way around. I stand correct!

not if they designated the use of the spaces for something else.
    Skips? Wheely bins? Flower beds?

Would the parking bays have to be destroyed as to avoid paying the tax? What happens if you're just parking in the street, like I do when I visit most of my schools? Not all of them have enough spaces for all staff and visitors like me.

Thank Post
    I don't know, there are some places when public transport is very good and even better than driving - e.g. when it is frequent, reliable, clean and cheap.

However I have previously stated my journey to work - 2 hour + public transport vs 35 minute car journey, no-brainer.

What the Government really ought to be doing is sorting out public transport, getting rid of cowboys such as FirstGroup and National Express, and providing a service good enough such that motorists will naturally come to use it out of genuine choice.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_git View Post
    I don't know, there are some places when public transport is very good and even better than driving - e.g. when it is frequent, reliable, clean and cheap..
    There is? where?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You're right, I got it the wrong way around. I stand correct!

Skips? Wheely bins? Flower beds?

Would the parking bays have to be destroyed as to avoid paying the tax? What happens if you're just parking in the street, like I do when I visit most of my schools? Not all of them have enough spaces for all staff and visitors like me.
    i'm guessing you get rid of the white lines, and yes, probably a flower bed or two.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    And the cost for this fabulous service? £23 a day with a season ticket.

Currently it costs me ~£15/day in fuel and £5.40 for the bridge. I think I will stick with my car thank you.
    Your car was free? Costs nothing to service? Never needs insuring?

If you're comparing costs, you need to compare the total cost - it may still be that driving is cheaper (and there are obviously other benefits for you) but your numbers are simply wrong.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    There is? where?
    Edinburgh - well, it was before they decided we needed a tramline and dug the whole city centre up .

Thank Post
    Phew,

It is a good job that Nottingham has an utterly reliable tram system allowing people to get to work at all times without the slightest interruption

NOT!!!!

mb

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Your car was free? Costs nothing to service? Never needs insuring?

If you're comparing costs, you need to compare the total cost - it may still be that driving is cheaper (and there are obviously other benefits for you) but your numbers are simply wrong.
    Yup, you need to compare the total cost - which would mean including the massive subsidies that the train companies have received and are yet to receive as well!

mb

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_git View Post
    I don't know, there are some places when public transport is very good and even better than driving - e.g. when it is frequent, reliable, clean and cheap.
    Switzerland was pretty good last year when I was on holiday; cheap regular bus service in rural areas, together with an integrated light railway network coupled to intercity expresses. It all ran like clockwork (a Swiss clock, naturally).

As for where I live, forget it. I could not get to work for 8am by public transport, even though it takes me a mere 20 minutes to drive the 15 miles to work.

If they want to tax car parking in the workplace, are they going to tax cycle parking spaces too?

This will be an unfair tax.

In some areas, to avoid the tax people will park in side streets near their place of work & clog up the side roads; in other areas, employers will bite the bullet & fund it themselves as part of their employee 'benefits' package. This may be applied fairly or unfairly, depending upon seniority & importance, so for example bank clerks will pay the taxes & 'investment' bankers will get free parking as a perk.....

This is typical 'city centric' thinking....... trying to impose solutions designed for cities on areas where no problem exists....
    Last edited by broc; 3rd August 2009 at 09:47 AM.

Thank Post
    I agree with Hodge - and those who argue that if we all used public transport we'd pay less for them need to look at statistics for the past ten years showing a jump in public transport use and a massive increase in fairs.

Fact is some people NEED their cars for work, I know I do. I can drive up to 500 miles a week on work related business, this isn't for fun, it's essential that I'm mobile to support remote sites and carry equipment. Without my car I couldn't physically do my job. I'd love to commute by public transport, but need the car during the day (and the government won't fund pool cars for us.)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnix View Post
    But he owns the car already. It needs to be insured whether he uses it or not. It needs to be taxed whether he uses it or not.
    No it doesn't. If you have it 'off the road' then you need neither tax or insurance. You can't drive it, but at least there would be no ongoing costs...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    In some areas, to avoid the tax people will park in side streets near their place of work & clog up the side roads; in other areas, employers will bite the bullet & fund it themselves as part of their employee 'benefits' package. This may be applied fairly or unfairly, depending upon seniority & importance, so for example bank clerks will pay the taxes & 'investment' bankers will get free parking as a perk.....

This is typical 'city centric' thinking....... trying to impose solutions designed for cities on areas where no problem exists....
    It's fairly easy to protect resident parking areas by just introducing controlled parking - that doesn't have to mean a huge charge for residents and it brings other benefits because the parking charges pay for someone to walk along the road checking that vehicles are not just parked properly but have valid tax etc.

It's always going to be the case that people like investment bankers get paid more than bank clerks - whether that's just because they get a higher salary or because they get more perks; it may not be nice but that's just the way people get paid unless you have some kind of communist dictatorship which says "everyone will get paid £xx per hour no matter what job they do"

Completely agree with the comment that there's no need to impose city type solutions on areas outside cities. If congestion isn't a problem then you don't need to do anything to minimise it; you only need to think about policies like charging for parking when you've got to try and ration a limited amount of space on the roads etc. Improving public transport in towns and cities makes sense; in areas of low population density it probably doesn't make sense to have buses every 3-4 minutes!

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    Yes I need to include the cost of service, tyres, in-sewer-ants, oil and VED, but this would already be purchased whether I was using it for public transport or not (well, the tyres would wear out slower but anyway).

I COULD buy a mondeo for £300, insure it for £200 and tax it for £185 and that works out at £2.60 a day. Then just buy another one instead of fixing problems and tyres are only £30ea.

Thank Post
    I wouldn't want to walk the measly 6 miles i have to travel to work carrying a powermac G5 everywhere. One of the reasons i need my boot

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    I wouldn't want to walk the measly 6 miles i have to travel to work carrying a powermac G5 everywhere. One of the reasons i need my boot
    Why do you carry a G5 powermac arround with you? That makes no sense...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast