+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
General Chat Thread, Haha @ MS in General; Originally Posted by CyberNerd If it's any help you can pay for support contracts. TBH I am not a solaris ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    If it's any help you can pay for support contracts.
    TBH I am not a solaris user (I have done a couple of installs)
    We settled on redhat linux.
    Redhat isn't free - we pay 35 per server and can get support. everyone knows that free server software is rubbish. I mean look at the internet, that runs on free software, its rubbish.
    pppffffttt

Thank Post

Smile

I'm a long long time PC user, probably not as long as some of you but still.

I've been happily using XP SP3 for some time, it works well for my needs and the spec of my PC means I can do almost anything I need to with it.

All that said - I have run Linux and OS/2 in the past, just to compare them against Windows.

I stick with Windows because it's what my workplace use throughout - while I could cope with using a different OS and learning it - I'd get objections at work if I then tried to turn my work PC into a Linux or OS/2 box... hurrah.

I will admit to being curious about OSX, I've used it via remote shell but never actually used it properly.
    Is there a way to run OSX in a VM of some kind - no I don't plan to run it permanently but I just want to have a play as ZeroHour has said.

It's a shame Apple don't release their OS so it can be run and installed on generic (non-apple) hardware without hacking things about etc - I'm sure if they did then people would be more willing to look to Apple to use that in-place of Windows.

For now though - I'm just looking into somehow running OSX inside a VM - does anyone have any ideas as to how I might do this? (I've no objections to paying for a legit copy of OSX if I really like it - but if I don't like it then I will just wipe the VM)

If it would be inappropriate to respond here in this thread - then please drop me a PM instead.

Thanks,

Az

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by azrael78 View Post
    For now though - I'm just looking into somehow running OSX inside a VM - does anyone have any ideas as to how I might do this? (I've no objections to paying for a legit copy of OSX if I really like it - but if I don't like it then I will just wipe the VM)
    I am not endorsing copyright or EULA infringement of software.... but here is another way of freeing the OS from the crappy hardware restrictions.

Vmware - OSx86

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    I don't want windows - no journaled filing system ( unless they changed that in win 7 ? ) , eye candy is copied from apple and I can still run windows 7 and linux anyways without faffing about with project 86 but I choose not to
    Journaling - not new in Windows 7. Probably because they put it in Windows 2000.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Journaling - not new in Windows 7. Probably because they put it in Windows 2000.
    Well, well - learn something new everyday Never realised NTFS was a journaled FS. Just done some reading up on it. Apparently Journaling is not enabled by default on pre-Vista non server editions.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Well, well - learn something new everyday Never realised NTFS was a journaled FS. Just done some reading up on it. Apparently Journaling is not enabled by default on pre-Vista non server editions.
    so how do you enable it on xp or vista or windows 7 ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    I am not endorsing copyright or EULA infringement of software.... but here is another way of freeing the OS from the crappy hardware restrictions.

Vmware - OSx86
    Mmm, been looking into this myself of late. Apparently it runs dog slow in a VM - as in totally unusable Think it has a lot to do with the use of a 3D graphics card to accelerate all the fancy desktop graphics (don't give me any lip on this windows users - vista and 7 do the same). Obviously the 3D graphics is not available through the VM environment.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    It's just part of NTFS v3 from 2000 onwards, you don't get a choice but having it on although there are additional features in later versions.

Thank Post
    It's just part of NTFS v3 from 2000 onwards, you don't get a choice but having it on although there are additional features in later versions.
    Its not that crumby windows indexing service is it ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Its not that crumby windows indexing service is it ?
    No, it's the USN journal - the bit where it tells you it's checking it during chkdsk. Also that funny System Volume Information hidden folder.

Thank Post
    No, it's the USN journal - the bit where it tells you it's checking it during chkdsk. Also that funny System Volume Information hidden folder.
    how do you enable it then or on xp is it enabled anyway

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 787 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just an update, MS have said the key has been revoked and wont pass WGA and it had no major issues since its not sold any with the key.
    Read more at:
    Microsoft blacklists leaked Windows 7 OEM key

Thank Post
    Windows 7 is looking pretty well cracked now!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345