+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Whos' panicking? in General; Judging by the reduced hit count today we are all rushing around trying to get things sorted for when the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Blog Entries

Whos' panicking?

Judging by the reduced hit count today we are all rushing around trying to get things sorted for when the little darlings (and pupils) return next week, or this week for those less fortunate ones.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Whos' panicking?

It is amazing the amount of work we are getting done in these last few days.

The main problem we have now is that we are waiting for caprenters and electricians to finish their bits ... we can't even get machines unboxed until then.

We are loading images onto machines at a rate of 30-60 a day now, with older W2K machines being scrapped and ready to be discarded, whilst saving 50 or so as thin clients (30 for now and 20 as spare and / or additional boxes as needed)

Electricians have a list projectors that are still needed to be sorted, and 2 IWBs to mount. Several printers to reconfigure ... local inkjets and scanners to install ...

One techie off-sick, placement student dropped out and his replacement doesn't start until Monday ... we have had to get Tina (last year's placement who had just finished) to come back in ...

We may even get away without having to work a weekend this time round.

Fingers crossed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Blog Entries

Tell me about it. We have taken over half of our new building, yet we still have no benches in the training rooms and I have 80 boxes of new PCs and monitors that can only be unpacked once they have completed the build. Very frustrating.

Thank Post

Same here:

One company who were here the very first day of the holidays still to complete 3 IWB installations - due to the fact the guys couldn't solder the cables!!! They are in no hurry what so ever to come back

Electricians to kit out the staff room for Machines to be setup in there.

Another Company to fit 4 IWB installations

Got all other machines in the school reimaged now and ready to go - just a shame its external companies that are holding me up now and nothing I can do about it.

I've had 1 half day off up to now as I was planning to take this week off once everything should of been completed!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r
    I've had 1 half day off up to now as I was planning to take this week off once everything should of been completed!!
    It's always fatal to plan to take the last week off - if you do you end up worrying so much you may as well be in work

Thank Post

Done more work today that we have for the past 5 weeks lol!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

All we have left to do is unpack 30 computers and insert an RM build disk into each one and make that all-important cup of coffee. And re-attach the projector

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

A fair chunk of the work done this summer has been 'pick it up and carry it to a new room' stuff.

We like to make people happy by giving everyone some sort of improvement, so this means the we shift nearly every box to a different room.

We don't have to and it would save us a heap of work, but it is worth it to see the look on ther faces when they come in on the training days ... just like watching little kids at Christmas opening pressies.

Thank Post

Far too much to do - the late running of finishing a new building, plus the network/electical wiring has put me behind schedule by a week. Now chasing around sorting out PCs for individual offices, plus another small cluster of 4 PCs, software for two SmartBoards, three scanners, a SIMS station to finish rebuilding, plus two NetOp installs.

Over the summer, I've built some 3 IT suites of 21 PCs, installed a small cluster of 5 PCs, hauled kit to our storeroom or for disposal, stripped down a room whilst it was recarpeted and then reconected it all again, moved the last two servers from NT 4.0 to 2003 Server. The total order of PCs from our supplier was 102!

I had a weeks holiday at the end of July to beginning of August. After being back two days from it, I needed another one!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Using my crystal ball I fore-see Sat and Sun as a full working days. As for 30 images a day, I hammered my RIS box the other week, 70 images out at once! Those switches sure look pritty all yellow in colour

Thank Post

Tell me about it...spent the day doing non-urgent jobs such as tidying cabinets since we cant get on with anything!!

IT Suite terrapin got moved 3 weeks ago
    - Benching still not done
    - Electrics still not done
    - No data cabling whatsoever in place
    - Fibre still to be pulled to the building

And when thats done we've got 40 machines + laptops, printers etc to move 500m across site from a container - which will most likely be Friday afternoon or Monday and thats if we're lucky

Languages was being refurbished - all finished apart from desks - so cant put PC's back

New languages lab PC's (38 of) yet to arrive, so still need to be imaged, cabling yet to be finished (cablers seem to have no urgency whatsoever)

And finally new reception area, builders still not finished so no cabling down there yet and numerous computers to go back there.

I love it

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

After having a think about it tonight, we are already unboxing the machines for rooms that we cannot get into to make storing them a bit easier ... and since these machines all have a generic image with the remainding apps pushed out GPO ... I'll see if the team will image them before sticking them aware in the strong room ... should save a day or say later on ...

I like doing things so it appears that we can work miracles ... but only when we want to, not when it is demanded because of someone else's cock-up.

Yet another favourite phrase ... "A cock-up on your part does not constitute and emergency on mine!"

Or an army favourite ... "Never forget the 7 Ps ... Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents P!ss Poor Performance"

Thank Post

It's all easy going at my place! :twisted:

Only got the new monitors to go on the new PC's, just a shame they havent turned up yet!

Projectors aren't being installed until the first week back since 'management' wouldn't let me order them until the last week of term, and then complain when the suppliers have no free slots for during the six weeks!

Thank Post

We felt like we still had alot to do, but looking at our summer work sheet this morning, we in fact dont have alot left to do.

All we have left to do now is put in a couple of PCs here and there, cable the new head of year offices (8 offices), terminate those cables and install the network points, put up the server cabinet for that area, patch the panels and put their PCs in. Overall not too bad

Thank Post

Its almost tidy up time for us but not all the planned work will be complete as we are still waiting for external contractots to finnish in areas we need to be in.

I dont panic anymore its always like this every year, i just forget.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast